Yelping In Pain But Not Sure Why

Guest sdaniw

Guest sdaniw

My greyhound Maddie laid down the other day and just started yelping. The yelping is something she does when she is in pain. My husband and I ran over to see what the matter was and she kept yelping for another min. Once she stopped I moved around her legs to see if one of them hurt her or not and I got no reaction. So my husband called her and she stood up and walked over to him still no yelping or limping. We were concerned but thought since she is acting normal we will just keep an eye out for something weird. Well later that night she went to lay down in her bed and she yelped once more. Then this morning while I was in the shower I thought I heard help yelp again. Other then yelping those couple of times she is acting just like herself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Sue

Guest BatesieGreys

Does it always happen when she is in the process of laying down? Could it be something to do with movement and not just a consistent pain in some part of the body? If it always happened during the same type of movement (like laying down), I would be concerned with something going on in her back maybe? I am far from an expert (one healthy hound with no more problems than a tiny scrape on her lip)...but it was just the first thing that came to my mind. Good luck with her.

Most greyhounds are pretty stoic, particularly the girls.

If she is yelping, something is absolutely wrong, and a visit to a vet is needed. They know how to examine an animal and find the issue.

I've had dogs yelp when they've thrown out something, usually a neck from throwing toys around, or running too hard and a visit to the chiropractor/acupuncturist gets them feeling right.

I've had dogs yelp when they are something stuck somewhere - a thorn etc. - finding the offending 'thing' stops the yelping.

Cramps can be a potassium deficiency, but blood work will tell you.

Either way - she's telling you she is in pain. A vet visit is needed.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Personally I think its very hard to tell. On one hand, as someone has said, greys are very stoic when they are hurt, so you probably wouldnt know it because they wont yelp. My boy cut the corner around my camper at full speed, hit the bumper with his rear leg, ripped fur and skin off, and NOT a single yelp. The same dog walked on a shoe one day and yelped like his leg just got ripped off. My female is the same way. How old is your girl? I think that would be one thing to take into consideration. Or, if you are like most people around here, scared of the "c" word (I am scared of that as well), then you may want to take her into the vet for a few xrays just to be sure.

Chad

Guest sdaniw

Maddie is 6 years old. She is what we call a big baby in our household. My male Indy is the stoic one. It takes a lot of pain for him to yelp but not Maddie. One day Indy steped on her foot she yelped bloody murder till my husband said oh Maddie are you ok and pet her on the head then she stopped yelping and walked away. So all I am saying is it make it very difficult to tell if she is really hurt or not. Could cancer be an option at the age of 6?

Guest greytful4
Maddie is 6 years old. She is what we call a big baby in our household. My male Indy is the stoic one. It takes a lot of pain for him to yelp but not Maddie. One day Indy steped on her foot she yelped bloody murder till my husband said oh Maddie are you ok and pet her on the head then she stopped yelping and walked away. So all I am saying is it make it very difficult to tell if she is really hurt or not. Could cancer be an option at the age of 6?

Not saying it's cancer and don't want to alarm you unnecessarily, but cancer can strike at any age. My girl was six.I strongly recommend you have a vet check on her.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Unfortunately yes, there have been some around here that have gotten osteo under 7 years of age, not very many at all, but a few. Please dont freak out because of what I have said. I only mention it because it is something that is being seen more and more in greys. It could very well be a corn or something like that.

Chad

I think if she's yelping that much then she definitely is in pain and needs to be checked over by a vet. If your vet can't find anything, I'd also get her checked over by a chiropractor as they can often find things that vets can't. I'd be wondering about an issue with her back or neck.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest Energy11

I would also get her checked over, JUST to be sure. Might just be arthritis, but better safe than sorry. Good Luck!

Thinking of Maddie. May I share Jamey's story? On April 15 and 29th he had 2 episodes of yelping out in pain, (about 30 minutes each) he was holding up his right front paw. We thought it was cramps at first too. But we took him to the vet and had X-rays done. He had a 'lesion' in his humerus, which turned out to be osteosarcoma. He had his leg amputated June 4th and is doing well.

I pray that this isn't the case with Maddie, but I was just letting you know what happened in Jamey's case. Hugs to Maddie!

edited to add Jamey is 9.5 years old

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest greyscot

I had the same thing happen with one of my greys (Chief) four years ago. He was 8 and suddenly started yelping for no apparant reason. I saw 4 different vets because I knew there was something wrong and none of them believed me because they could not find anything. The last vet I saw said I was practising 'positive re-enforcement' meaning that she felt he was yelping to get attention. The more he yelped she said the more attention he got :angryfire. Well 2 days later he lost all power in his hind legs and was put down 4 days later after tests found a tumour growing through his spinal cord. I'm telling you this not to frighten you but to urge you to go with your instincts. In all probability it's a muscle strain or something minor but if you feel there is something don't take no for an answer - there has to be a reason for the yelping. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :grouphug

maybe neck or back pain? has she overdone herself lately...running too much or jumping off of a high bed/out of a high car?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest JarBear

I'd take her in for a complete check-up. I don't want to scare you either but we had a 6 year old girl do exactly the same thing. No pain response ever from manipulation and no limping, just yelping when she tried to get down on her bed. It was the c word. Better safe than sorry!

Guest kydie

All dogs have different pain thresholds,I have one that yelps at the drop of a hat, and one you could rip his leg off and he wouldn't yelp, but if you feel this is unusal for her, then you should have her checked out

Guest Ashley
I had the same thing happen with one of my greys (Chief) four years ago. He was 8 and suddenly started yelping for no apparant reason. I saw 4 different vets because I knew there was something wrong and none of them believed me because they could not find anything. The last vet I saw said I was practising 'positive re-enforcement' meaning that she felt he was yelping to get attention. The more he yelped she said the more attention he got :angryfire. Well 2 days later he lost all power in his hind legs and was put down 4 days later after tests found a tumour growing through his spinal cord. I'm telling you this not to frighten you but to urge you to go with your instincts. In all probability it's a muscle strain or something minor but if you feel there is something don't take no for an answer - there has to be a reason for the yelping. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :grouphug

That is such a sad story. I'm so sorry about Chief :(

I hope that Maddie is okay and it's something very minor, fingers crossed!