Best Book For Animal Health

Guest Craigo10

Guest Craigo10

Hi all,

My wife and I recently decided to adopt a Greyhound from the Minnesota chapter of Greyhound Pets of America. We have done quite extensive research on the breed and are very excited to bring a Greyhound into our household in mid-August. After reading through some of the medical posts, I realized that we don't have a veterinarian book or medical book in the house (the seizure posts :blink: really brought this to light) . I was just curious what you all thought the best book was to have, and what you all use.

As I said above we will be adopting in mid-August, and the adoption coordinator should be contacting us shortly. I hope to be an active participant on this message board, and will probably be uploading pictures of our new "addition" when we actually get to meet him/her.

Any responses are appreciated.

Thanks.

Congratulations!!

Your question is a good one. I have a book from UC Davis that I have relied on many times, BUT the problem is it's obviously not GH specific, which I feel is crucial.

I don't know of any book that is GH specific, maybe someone else does. I think it would be good to become familiar with the sites that revolve around GH's, like Stack's or OSU.

Jean Dodds also has some excellent medical info on Greys online

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest KennelMom

Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound is excellent. We have a copy (of the old and new version, actually), as does our vet.

eta: you can get it here: http://www.gemgreyhounds.org/gem_store/books&stuff.htm or through the NGA...probably some other places sell it. We have the soft cover and it's held up to a lot of use and abuse and being lugged all sorts of places (I always take it as a reference when I go lure coursing)

Edited by KennelMom

What KennelMom said!

We love that book! Though be warned - it has very graphic, colored photos of lots of body parts in various stages of surgery/disection. If you're squeamish, it can be a bit much. It's also very medical terminology heavy. If you're not familiar with latin medical terms you may need to have a dictionary handy.

If you're interested in general dog First Aid, see if you can get into a Red Cross Pet FA class before you get your new addition. They also have FA kits that have all the basics. Someone just in the last couple of days had a post about what to put in your greyhound FA kit and it was a really good resource.

I think you can also get it through Amazon, but if you go through the gem greyhounds site a portion of your purchase will be donated to them. I think.

Also, the "Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies" has good, if very basic, medical info. And you should read it anyway!

Congrats!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have the Care of the Racing Greyhound, and then because I'm a bit of an oddball and biology-type person, I also have Blackwell's Five Minute Veterinary Consult, Merck Veterinary Manual, and Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook. I actually use Plumb's the most, for those "what's the dose?" questions and also looking for drug interactions, since I almost always have at least one grey on some kind of medication. My vet became a housecall vet, so she uses my copy of Plumb's whenever she's here. :lol

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest Craigo10

Thanks for all the great responses. I will definitely look into getting Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound here in the near future.

We have both Adopting the Racing Greyhound by Cynthia Branigan and Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies and have read through them both VERY thouroughly. I was slightly disappointed in the amount of medical information in the books, but I agree they are must reads before you adopt a greyhound.

Any additional responses as to which "generic" pet medicine books any others use would be greatly appreciated. :)

Guest Energy11
Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound is excellent. We have a copy (of the old and new version, actually), as does our vet.

eta: you can get it here: http://www.gemgreyhounds.org/gem_store/books&stuff.htm or through the NGA...probably some other places sell it. We have the soft cover and it's held up to a lot of use and abuse and being lugged all sorts of places (I always take it as a reference when I go lure coursing)

DITTO!! Love that book! Used to take it to all our meet and greets in Florida!

I wouldn't claim BEST, but they are GOOD. :colgate

They are also only a few dollars each to cover printing. They are also all available to adoption groups to use at cost. Dr. Stack and Greyhound Guide currently on sale too. All Proceeds help greyhounds.

I'll be at Grapehounds and Greyhounds of the Bluegrass giving talks on these subjects, and giving away booklets and more.

Greyhound Gang's Booklets

Individually:

Greyhound Guide - definitive guide on loving a greyhound

Dr. Stack the Deck for Greyt Health - Articles with info particular to greyhounds, written by a greyhound vet

Happy Healthy Hounds - Natural ways to help your hounds live longer and healthier

When I Am Older - Natural ways to help your hounds live longer and healthier as they age

Why Does My Hound Do THAT? - Helps humans understand greyhound behaviors

First Aid - Shows how to react to minor emergencies in your home, and deal with more major ones

Shy Greyhound Steal Your Heart - Helping a shy greyhound to embrace their world

Never Too Old to Love - Musings from greyhound owners about loving an older hound

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!