Hello From Cleveland, Oh

Guest littlesyd85

Guest littlesyd85
Hi from your neighbor in Erie pa!

I'm originally from Erie! My parents still live there and my Mom works at The Erie Animal Hospital. Where in Erie do you live?

Very familiar with where your mom works, took our dog there as a kid--great place. I actually live in girard now, in the western part of Erie county.

Sorry, just saw this! :)

I know exactly where that is! I am from Fairview, my parents still live there. Do you take your dog to The Erie Animal Hospital? If you do, look for Cheryl... That is my mommy. Maybe sometime when I go home we can meet up...

Thanks so much for more info....my concern is that my daughter has a collie/german sheppard X. My boy gets along with her extremely well. They visit every couple of months (they actually live in Cleveland) and I would want Firefly to be as comfortable as Starbucks is with her.

I think she would be fine. There were a few dogs at the event that were extremely rowdy (they were rolling around and wrestling right next to us) it was clear that that made her nervous. I think she would be ok with your daughters dogs.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gnevins

Thanks Sydney! I wonder if they would be opposed to my daughter and son in law and dog (Brownie) meeting us there when we come with Starbucks to see Firefly. I would totally understand if they wouldn't. I will have to mention this Susan when the time gets closer and if Firefly hasn't found another home. Thanks again.

THANKS SOOOOO MUCH!!!!! She is BEAUTIFUL!!! Do you know if anyone was interested in her this weekend?

Gail, she's BEAUTIFUL!!!! seems like the excuses for not adopting her are disappearing :evil

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Art_n_Popper
THANKS SOOOOO MUCH!!!!! She is BEAUTIFUL!!! Do you know if anyone was interested in her this weekend?

Anytime! She is a wonderful girl, very curious and playful, very sweet, not really a jumper but she seemed interested in the trailer, there were two dogs in there at the time. I'm really glad I got to knew her a bit, just so many dogs and I wish I could spend an extended period of time with all of them.

I was only there on Saturday, Cozy and Tibby where taken home that day! I don't really know what happened on Sunday.

Guest RICHandJUDE

Anytime! She is a wonderful girl, very curious and playful, very sweet, not really a jumper but she seemed interested in the trailer, there were two dogs in there at the time. I'm really glad I got to knew her a bit, just so many dogs and I wish I could spend an extended period of time with all of them.

I was only there on Saturday, Cozy and Tibby where taken home that day! I don't really know what happened on Sunday.

We adopted two greyhounds from Linda at GAO. We lost one to osteo last month. (only 7 years old) We stopped at the kennel on Sunday to see Linda.

(will adopt another greyt after we have a little time to mourn.) Yes, Firefly was still there. She is a beuatiful creature. I could be wrong but I think Linda knows that somebody wants her and is trying to stear potential adopters to other greyts. Gnevins, I think Firefly is yours.....I could be wrong but don't think so. Good Luck!

Richard

Guest littlesyd85

We adopted two greyhounds from Linda at GAO. We lost one to osteo last month. (only 7 years old) We stopped at the kennel on Sunday to see Linda.

(will adopt another greyt after we have a little time to mourn.) Yes, Firefly was still there. She is a beuatiful creature. I could be wrong but I think Linda knows that somebody wants her and is trying to stear potential adopters to other greyts. Gnevins, I think Firefly is yours.....I could be wrong but don't think so. Good Luck!

Richard

I was there on Sunday as well (the question should be when am I not there?) Linda and Susan do know that you are interested in her and we do make it a point in letting people know that fact when they are looking at her. I don't know that they would refuse her to anyone however. We aren't "pushing" her on anyone... Maybe you should give Linda a call to see how Firefly is doing ;) It would definitely show your interest in her. I'm pushing for you!

And Art_n_Popper... For some reason I didn't realize who you were... I am Sydney, I do the Saturday night turn out after you do the 3pm turn out. Craziness!

Hi from your neighbor in Erie pa!

I'm originally from Erie! My parents still live there and my Mom works at The Erie Animal Hospital. Where in Erie do you live?

Very familiar with where your mom works, took our dog there as a kid--great place. I actually live in girard now, in the western part of Erie county.

Sorry, just saw this! :)

I know exactly where that is! I am from Fairview, my parents still live there. Do you take your dog to The Erie Animal Hospital? If you do, look for Cheryl... That is my mommy. Maybe sometime when I go home we can meet up...

Thanks so much for more info....my concern is that my daughter has a collie/german sheppard X. My boy gets along with her extremely well. They visit every couple of months (they actually live in Cleveland) and I would want Firefly to be as comfortable as Starbucks is with her.

I think she would be fine. There were a few dogs at the event that were extremely rowdy (they were rolling around and wrestling right next to us) it was clear that that made her nervous. I think she would be ok with your daughters dogs.

Okay--my address is Girard but I actually live in Fairview township. We are south of 1-90. I take the puppers to the McKean vet clinic, mostly because it is about 5 minutes from my house. Erie Animal Hospital is about 15 minutes or so--I like the rural vets, they are great. However, if I have occasion to go to Erie AH, I will stop and say hi to Cheryl! :)

Guest Art_n_Popper
And Art_n_Popper... For some reason I didn't realize who you were... I am Sydney, I do the Saturday night turn out after you do the 3pm turn out. Craziness!

:lol small world - I too didn't realize who you were til now!

:lol small world - I too didn't realize who you were til now!

did i meet either of you? i was there July 4th and 5th with a blue fawn male greyhound and a blond spanish male person :). i think we were there by 2 or 3 in the afternoon? there was a couple there from chicago at the same time as us. they adopted littermates.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Rach1323
QUOTE(Rach1323 @ Jul 10 2009, 04:40 PM)

I have a quick question for you ...since you took Bow to a couple events...did you see other breeds of dog and if you did how did she react ...Shes been very excitable barky when we see other breeds and I think she is just excited and wants to play but Ive been to nervous to introduce ...

My old Jack was just the same. The rescue I got him from said they thought it was just 'excita-puppy' barking, even though he was nearly ten years old, and so it proved. He would go nuts, barking and trying to get to the other dogs, but with patience and treats and calm handling, we got there. He could happily be around all other dogs in time, except those who barked at him aggressively, when he'd respond. But that's just a 'dog' thing! He didn't have a prey drive for them.

ha ha Yea that sounds like Bow ...BF and I were just gone for the week on vacation and Bow stayed at BFs parents house she met a Boxer and Two Collies (that are usually very territorial) and both meetings went very well.....ALSO she met A LOT of little kids and a little baby!!! The baby took her toy and I guess she just sat there and then when the baby set the toy down she went over picked it up and hide it in the corner :lol I was just proud she did so well.....

Art_n_Popper I met you the day we decided to adopt Bow ...Hello!

Guest Art_n_Popper
did i meet either of you? i was there July 4th and 5th with a blue fawn male greyhound and a blond spanish male person :). i think we were there by 2 or 3 in the afternoon? there was a couple there from chicago at the same time as us. they adopted littermates.

Yup I meet you guys on July 4th. I was inside the kennel most of the time letting the dogs out back, cleaning creates etc. I'm usually there on Saturday's from 3-7 in the afternoon. Yea it was great the two brindle brothers got a home together.

Just curious, besides Treasure, which other greyhounds stood out for you guys? My personal favorite is Tip, mostly cause he reminds me of Popper. Mellow, affectionate, sweet , stubborn and playful at times, but when he feels like running, which I've only see Tip stretch his legs once, he really can stretch his legs and rip the yard up.

Guest Art_n_Popper
ha ha Yea that sounds like Bow ...BF and I were just gone for the week on vacation and Bow stayed at BFs parents house she met a Boxer and Two Collies (that are usually very territorial) and both meetings went very well.....ALSO she met A LOT of little kids and a little baby!!! The baby took her toy and I guess she just sat there and then when the baby set the toy down she went over picked it up and hide it in the corner :lol I was just proud she did so well.....

Art_n_Popper I met you the day we decided to adopt Bow ...Hello!

Hi Rach1323, wonderful to here Bow is doing greyt! I remember the first time going over there to select a greyhound and she was running in the yard, that was the first greyhound I've ever seen up close and my jaw about hit the ground.

I had some small issues with popper at first with small dogs but he's over most of those problems. I guess it just took a little time for him to get to know smaller dogs, some of the small furrier dogs must have looked like barking rabbits to him I guess :lol He had a pretty high prey drive and would want to chase after birds, squirrels, chipmunks, cats, and little furry dogs. Now he's pretty much ignores all except squirrels, and he can't wait to go up to any dogs he sees on walks.

Even though Bow did great with the little child and toy, I would never leave the small child unsupervised with the greyhound, better be safe then sorry. Especially parents that may not be familiar with greyhound traits. My guy growled at me once when I first took his toys, he got corrected and it hasn't been a problem. Taking a favorite bone or toy from a newer adopted greyhound should be something a child should never do, remember they are pack dogs. If they don't see the child as above them in the pack, they may have issue with the child taking the toy even though there is no problems say if you would take the toy. Just trying to point out the importance. Bow seems very well behaved.

Guest Rach1323

Art_n_Popper

Bow is doing such a great job adjusting to home life ...though she has a crazy high prey drive anything small that moves ....I would never leave her alone unsupervised with a child....I definetly wish I would have been there for that situation but I KNOW she was highly supervised and I am glad that she did so well.. :) ....and I definetly would not have left the baby take the toy....sigh....its hard having someone else watch your dog... <_< ....But she is back beside by bed now ...where she belongs!! :D

Yup I meet you guys on July 4th. I was inside the kennel most of the time letting the dogs out back, cleaning creates etc. I'm usually there on Saturday's from 3-7 in the afternoon. Yea it was great the two brindle brothers got a home together.

Just curious, besides Treasure, which other greyhounds stood out for you guys? My personal favorite is Tip, mostly cause he reminds me of Popper. Mellow, affectionate, sweet , stubborn and playful at times, but when he feels like running, which I've only see Tip stretch his legs once, he really can stretch his legs and rip the yard up.

i was so focused on Treasure that the only other dogs I really remember were Curri and Pixie, neither of whom were cat safe. Pablo really liked Powder. He took lots of pictures of him and went on and on about how cool he was. I never made it to the kennel.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Guest littlesyd85

i was so focused on Treasure that the only other dogs I really remember were Currie and Pixie, neither of whom were cat safe. Pablo really liked Powder. He took lots of pictures of him and went on and on about how cool he was. I never made it to the kennel.

Unfortunately I did not get to meet you... I took the night off because I was having company over for the holiday. Curri and Pixie are still available for adoption. Powder actually was adopted on Sunday and he will be going home this coming weekend (to Columbus with a vet student and her boyfriend). They LOVED him! Tip also got adopted and I believe he will be going home this coming weekend as well.

Did you manage to find a dog friendly hotel to stay at for Canine Fun Days? Will you be bringing your friend that is interested in Firefly?

i was so focused on Treasure that the only other dogs I really remember were Currie and Pixie, neither of whom were cat safe. Pablo really liked Powder. He took lots of pictures of him and went on and on about how cool he was. I never made it to the kennel.

Unfortunately I did not get to meet you... I took the night off because I was having company over for the holiday. Curri and Pixie are still available for adoption. Powder actually was adopted on Sunday and he will be going home this coming weekend (to Columbus with a vet student and her boyfriend). They LOVED him! Tip also got adopted and I believe he will be going home this coming weekend as well.

Did you manage to find a dog friendly hotel to stay at for Canine Fun Days? Will you be bringing your friend that is interested in Firefly?

she can't go. it's just treasure, phene and me :). i may stay at the laquinta again. it was really nice and very dog friendly.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Guest Art_n_Popper
Powder actually was adopted on Sunday and he will be going home this coming weekend (to Columbus with a vet student and her boyfriend). They LOVED him! Tip also got adopted and I believe he will be going home this coming weekend as well.

You don't know how happy that makes me!!! I just have to post a pic!

Powder has a home!!!

powder.JPG

And my fav Tip has a home, I only have video of him no pics :(

Now we gotta find one for nup, I mean who wouldn't want to take her, just look

IMG_0621s.JPG

Guest Art_n_Popper
i was so focused on Treasure that the only other dogs I really remember were Curri and Pixie, neither of whom were cat safe. Pablo really liked Powder. He took lots of pictures of him and went on and on about how cool he was. I never made it to the kennel.

I know Currie a bit, definitely not cat safe! But very friendly and even a bit shy to people. Powder is pretty special, he loves to wrap himself around my leg and give kisses. And he loves to run, he can run and run and run some more :colgate

Guest Art_n_Popper

Well I have some good news, and some bad news. The good news is Firefly has a wonderful home with a greyhound family who currently have another greyhound named Ajax. They took several dogs to run with Ajax and Firefly seemed to bond the most. I don't have to tell you the bad news, I know you had your heart set on Firefly. There are plenty of wonderful greyhounds available though. I would considering waiting til a week or two before coming and seeing what is available. Then walking as many as possible to get a feel for their personalities.

I had my heart set on Dreamer, well that weekend another family wanted her as well. So I decided to walk some more dogs. Thank god otherwise I wouldn't have found popper... or popper wouldn't have found me :colgate

Guest gnevins

Needless to say I am VERY sad!!!!! :weep But I guess she was not meant to be with us!! I am VERY happy that Firefly has found a good and loving home!!! :confetti I hope they are going to keep her name as it is a BEAUTIFUL as she is!!!!! :wub: If for any reason she is returned, and I hope for her sake she isn't...please let me know.

Guest Art_n_Popper
Needless to say I am VERY sad!!!!! :weep But I guess she was not meant to be with us!! I am VERY happy that Firefly has found a good and loving home!!! :confetti I hope they are going to keep her name as it is a BEAUTIFUL as she is!!!!! :wub: If for any reason she is returned, and I hope for her sake she isn't...please let me know.

I do believe they kept Ajax's name, assuming they will keep Firefly's name as well, if I find out more I post it on here. I don't think she'll be returned but if she is you'll be the first I contact. Hey there are a lot of wonderful greyhounds, each one is very special. Do you know how many people passed on Treasure for an example... I can recommend many that are not adopted yet, but you may want to wait before falling in love with one this early, before you hopefully do indeed come and look at them.

Just some that stand out for me... this is just a few...

Dee, one of my personal favorites, but she is very active... Linda calls here crazy, I think she's awesome. She doesn't run a lot (still runs), but very playful, plays fetch with a tennis ball, loves toys, loves to jump (not on people) but on everything and anything, :lol I think she may not get along with cats though or perhaps some dogs, I've seen her bark before at some, then again I've seen her spin in her crate just cuz, or jump over crates to get to a toy, she used me as an wall...nuff said I don't want to give you any bad ideas bout her, she really is very sweet and wonderful! Another volunteer said Dee was one of her fav's as well, Linda doesn't agree??? :lol

Then there's Price, he only barks at one of Linda's dogs, he hates her grey. Otherwise he is a price, very sweet guy. He goes out with 2 other girls and is a wonderful guy, some of the volunteers always rav about him.

Then there Hallo, he's got the softest skin I've have ever felt a greyhound have, he's also beautiful!!! Brindle boy, pretty mellow, never barks at any dogs. Great walker, I took him for a walk on Saturday. Pictures don't do him justice, you just have to see him up close!

Whoopie is a tiny Brindle girl who's very sweet, a little shy but mostly to guys? She was attached to my cousin but was a bit scared of me :( Never seen her bark at any other dogs, mellow girl.

Lori, one of the sweetest, she's a cuddlier, not too active, never barks at any dogs. A tab bit shy, very beautiful brindle girl!

Then there's Howard (the duck), he's kinda new, white boy with brown brindle patches, he goes out with 2 other boys so he's pretty well behaved, seems really sweet, never seem him bark at any dogs.

Avalanche is another newer boy, white with a couple of slight black marks, kinda looks like a dalmatian :eek he's sweet, Howard, Cort and Avalanche all go out together.

Cort, another white boy with darker brindle markings, goes out with the previous two, he has barked on occasion... not as much as Jim :P (jim hold the record I think, he's been adopted and his family loves him, but he does let you know when he gotta go NOW) but he mostly barks at Powder who's he's a bit jealous of? :lol

I can go one... one more...

Walker, another greyt boy, white with brown patches on his face. I really like this guy, he just has something bout him that's just really likable. I really want to spend more time with him but there are so many dogs....

I leaving like 1/2 of them out, I guess you just gotta meet some in person. Its hard not to want to take all of them home!

Art, how about a little more about the dogs? Are there any brood mamas? How about dogs from Guam? or dogs left in people's backyards?dogs given up because of sick owners? Even better, how about posting about them in Everything Greyhounds for more exposure? ;)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg