Limping - Any Advice - Please

Guest Cuznsalsmom

Guest Cuznsalsmom

I don't post often but constantly read all the posts, I was hoping that someone could give me some advice. Cuz is going to be 10 in October, he started limping on his back right leg out of the blue. He was just at the vet two weeks ago for his check up and she said he is in great health. He now has a hard time going up the stairs at night, he likes to sleep with us on our bed, last night I had to carry him up - all 73lbs of him! I feel so bad, he even has a hard time getting up on the couches, I have checked his feet thoroughly as I thought maybe it was a corn but there isn't anything on his feet at all that I can see. I can touch any part of his whole leg and foot and it doesn't seem to bother him - does anyone have any ideas? It is breaking my heart to see him limping, he is so precious to us.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If it has been more than 3 days, get him xrayed.

Sending prayers.

Yes - what Diane said.

Adding more prayers, too!

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

I'd absolutely have that leg x-rayed. Many prayers that it's nothing.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Agreed with above.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

And another vote for an immediate x-ray.

Don't allow the vet to prescribe medication and to come back in a few weeks. Explain that you want an x-ray done straight away.

Sending best wishes :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest littlesyd85

Before you jump the gun and get him x-rayed, you should check the pads on the paw of the foot he is limping on. He may have a corn on one of the pads which is very painful! My girl Monarch had one... It is a condition that is exclusive and common to the Greyhound breed. Below are a few websites about this.

OSU CORN INFO

CORNS

CORN HULLING (removal)

If it is a corn it is extremely easy to treat and inexpensive. My vet did not know how to remove a corn so I had her call one of the vets at Ohio State University that I spoke to via email to explain it to her. OSU GREYHOUND HELP EMAIL Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is just a corn and not something more serious.

Guest GreenGreys

Ditto on the x-ray recommendation. We were offered the "wait and see" option and are very thankful that we insisted on the x-ray. Waiting to see if his limp went away on its own would have been torture for us anyway. We appear to have caught Ranger's OS fairly early and we are hoping that will translate into a longer life post-amputation. Hopefully Cuz just has a strain or something, but it's better to know than to wonder.

Pat and Ranger in recovery

Guest kydie

Check pads very well, and in between toes too, Xrays are a good idea, especially when he seems to have such a sever limp, don't panic now, it could be anything, arthritis, joint issues, pulled muscles, or irratation between toes, Good Luck

Guest Cuznsalsmom

Thanks everyone - I have a message out for the vet. I have checked his feet again and nothing. I will post when we get this figured out and thanks for the prayers.