Neutered Today

Guest diane20

Guest diane20

Hi there, I am new to this group and have recently acquired a lovely ex-racing greyhound. Anyway, I had doodie castrated today everthing seemed to go well but on looking at him closely, he does not appear to have lost any of his ahem, prowess :P He had a rather prominent set of balls before his little Op, and if anything they seem even bigger LOL. I explained to the vet I wanted him de-balling and she giggled and said "thats what we do" I will be annoyed if he has just had a vasectomy. My hubbie reckons that it is probably swelling that will shrivel up in a day or two. Any advice would be gratefully accepted I am ready to call the vets back... Diane xx

Guest mleg2001
:lol Relax your husband is right it is swelling, and the swelling will go down, some take a little longer than others, and some have more swelling than others. Eventually the swelling will go down and then he will have a flap in the wind change purse and over time it will shrink away as well. :P

Guest LynnM

It will go down. If you want to hurry things along, you can give him homeopathic arnica and slime the area with DMSO. It'll get the swelling down a bit, but won't make the scrotum shrink any faster. Joplin was 6+ when neutered and even though it's been a year, you could still fit a roll of quarters in that change purse.

Lynn

Guest Cody and Mandy's Mom

Yes, I agree with everyone, just some post-op swelling.

I had a dog who seemed to "grow back" his jewels years after his surgery. The vet sounded very worried, wanted to see him ASAP, thinking it was tumors. Of course, by the time I got him to the vet the mysterious swellings were gone! Vet said to bring him back in ASAP the next time I noticed them. So, a few days later, there they were again, and we ran to the vet. Found out the dog had no real problems, just increased blood flow "due to sexual excitement". I think they still talk abt me at that vet's office! My poor dog was just aroused...

you could still fit a roll of quarters in that change purse

flap in the wind change purse

:lol:lol

Maybe I just find this so funny because I have a girl and didn't have to go through this?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest wendy

LOL@change purse.

Actually when I went to Australia I actually bought a coin purse made out of a Kangaroos scrotum, so I can appreciate the humour :lol

Apparantly the roos are classed as a vermin and are killed and deballed quite indiscriminenetly.

Guest diane20

Thanks for all your help and advice. Doodies swelling seems to have gone down a bit. I will look forward to seeing a little coin purse where his balls used to sit :lol Poor boy, He seems to be a lot more pliable already, maybe its true what they say"if it has tyres or testicles, you will have trouble with it.." :lol

Diane, I would just add that if your vet really made fun of you for asking, you might think about a new vet. She should explain all medical procedures to you, and answer any questions. As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as a stupid question (just questions they laugh about after I go home :lol )

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest diane20

Patrick's mom hi. Actually I dont think her laughter was because of my lack of knowledge,she was laughing at the way I described de-balling as euphemism for castration :lol She is quite character she admitted she enjoys a bit of castrating,finds it quite relaxing :P oh well as long as she is getting some job satisfaction :) Diane xx

Guest marnie
It will go down. If you want to hurry things along, you can give him homeopathic arnica and slime the area with DMSO. It'll get the swelling down a bit, but won't make the scrotum shrink any faster. Joplin was 6+ when neutered and even though it's been a year, you could still fit a roll of quarters in that change purse.

Lynn

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Yep, all my boys have is a little flap of fur that hangs between their legs now! There is nothing in their "change purses". :lol:blink::lol

At the clinic where I work, neuters are frequently referred to as "brain surgery".

Lynn

:lol :lol :lol

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest Nancy

When we got Kenya he didn't have balls, but rather a pancake. Which turned into a grape, then into a raisin, now there is nothing.

Guest diane20

Good news, Doodies swollen nut sack has gone right down today. I will let you know when it has shrivelled up enough to become a coin purse small enough for a "roll of quarters" :lol:lol:lol

• 4 years later...
Thanks for all your help and advice. Doodies swelling seems to have gone down a bit. I will look forward to seeing a little coin purse where his balls used to sit :lol Poor boy, He seems to be a lot more pliable already, maybe its true what they say"if it has tyres or testicles, you will have trouble with it.." :lol

:rotfl:lol I've never heard that one, that is a great saying! :lol

My Teddy lost the "contents" years ago and he still has a little change purse there.

OOps, just noticed this is a very old thread, guess I didn't see it the first time around.

Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest longdogs
Actually when I went to Australia I actually bought a coin purse made out of a Kangaroos scrotum, so I can appreciate the humour lol.gif

Apparantly the roos are classed as a vermin and are killed and deballed quite indiscriminenetly.

The human version was apparently popular in New Guinea at one time. Kangaroos are hunted commercially under license for meat, leather and change-purses. Contrary to some reports, the large kangaroos are common and remarkably prolific. They are often a much better prospect than conventional livestock. Farmers can apply to cull but they are not 'vermin' and are protected like all Australia native wildlife.

Guest Mags123

I had my boy, Tigger, castrated on Friday (after my last post regarding this - 'to neuter or not to neuter?' - thanks for the encouragement, all went well). For a second I thought "have they only taken one and left one just to keep him company"??? However, found these pics on the web and have now shown them to everyone in my office (not exactly pretty but I found them very useful).

Take a look at: http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...l%3Den%26sa%3DN

Enjoy!