Difficulty Peeing

Guest Gideon

Guest Gideon

Tank is having difficulty peeing.

It is coming out in little drips and takes a long time to empty himself.

Also, the color is a little darker than usual.

I am calling into the vet tomorrow but would like some advice in the meantime.

Should we with hold water from him? Smaller amount of water?

What could the cause be?

First thing in the morning get a pee sample. If you can't get it to your vet immediately, then refrigerate. Ask the vet what lengthof time is OK from fresh catch to them running it in the lab.

I don't think I would withhold water from Tank.

Poor Tank. How old is he?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Sounds like a UTI thats for sure. As far as witholding water, I dont think you need to do that. You definitely want to try to capture a urine sample as close to your vet appt as possible.

Guest Energy11

Sounds like a UTI!. Oakly did that, when he has his. REALLY not much you CAN do, until he is diagnosed. The vet might want to check him for bladder stones, as well. As the others said, get a clean catch ... use a clean bowl, and put it in a clean container, and take it/him, to the vets. Good Luck!

Guest BiancasMom

Any difficulty urinating is considered an emergency. Especially in males, as they can become completely blocked quite easily. Usually with UTI's they do not have difficulty urinating, just go frequently therefore dripping small amounts. If he is truly having difficulty passing any urine (no stream, straining) then you should take him to the E-Vet immediately. He could have a stone stuck in his urethra. I would not withold water, he could become dehydrated. Hopefully it is nothing serious! Hope he feels better soon!

Better to encourage him to drink -- he'll feel better. Don't withhold. Fingers crossed it's just a UTI.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Gideon

We've given him water. He isn't showing any other signs of discomfort but he does take a while to pee. It trickles out.

We'll have him to the vet first thing AM...

Thanks for all the advice!

PS,

What is usually given for UTI?

How is Tank today?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png