Chase Dental Today/ Jake "special" Surgery Tomorrow

Chase has a dental today and will lose some lower molars. :( His teeth were really good when he was younger but are getting worse as he gets older. He will be 8 next month. He was so nervous this morning at the vet's. :(

Jake is scheduled for Tuesday for a neuter and a search and rescue for his misssing nut. I am nervous about this one (stressed about them maybe not coming out with the other one and/or him being in a lot of pain during recovery). I have no experience neutering anything older than 6 months. I have never had a cryptorchid. Vet says no running or jumping for 7-10 days. He'll be leash walked in the yard. I think, if he will use it, we'll use Vinnie's ramp to get him in bed, so we can sleep well and I can save my back.

The vet actually thinks Chase will be in more pain and for a longer period of time than Jake. I told him we will need the large economy size bottle of metacam. :) He asked how big of a bottle did I want.

I know there are lots of serious situations going on right now. I usually don't post about stuff like this, but should you have a spare good thought for my boys, please send it their way :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Every medical situation deserves prayers! I hope that Chase and Jake come through their respective procedures well and with the minimum of pain!

Guest RocketDog

Our group has had a few cryptorchids recently, and it seems like the boys who have the more involved cryptorchid neuter seem to recover at the same rate as a bitch who's been spayed - sore and maybe a bit groggy for a few days, but they seem to bounce back well after the first few days. Makes sense, since the search for the missing testicle can be just as invasive as a spay. Fingers crossed for easy procedures for BOTH your boys!

Prayers for both your babies. Two of my boys were cryptorchid, other than being a little sore after their neuter, they did fine. One had a little more bruising than the other but by day two they were acting like nothing happened at all.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

:goodluck for both boys.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Thank you all :)

He is home. He lost 15 teeth. :( I had no idea they were that bad. Most of it was receded gums and exposed roots. He said once he pulled one the rest started to losen up because of the gums. None were surgically removed. He said because of the gums receding, that allowed the tarter to build. Quite likely some should have come out in Nov, but the cat doc (I just call him that) erred on the side of caution. He did Red's dental, too... and he had a couple loose front teeth but he left them for cosmetic reasons. No more dentals with him. I know it sin't his fault, but I wonder if we had taken some then and been more aggressive, if it would have made a difference.

I am just sick about this. I knew angel Rex had a bad mouth. I could see it. I could not see the scope of what was going on in Chase's mouth :(

I feel awful, and I know Chase feels worse. The vet promised that the teeeth he left were good.

vr2a.jpg

Tonya, don't beat yourself up...Chase will feel so much better in a few days. How's Jake doing? I've had several fosters over the years that were crypto and their incisions were long, but they healed quickly without any problems.

Edited because I'm a dummy...Jake goes tomorrow..duh. He'll be fine!

Edited by AngelWhispers

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Don't beat yourself up about it! Chase will be fine and lots of Greyhounds make it on very little teeth if any! Think of it as how happy he will be that his mouth won't hurt any more. It's hard to know how bad their gums are anyway. Bad teeth are easier to spot and smell! Make sure you give Chase as many pain pills as prescribed and soft food until he heals. Hugs to you both!

Don't beat yourself up. Chase will be okay without the teeth. I don't know if he can have it, but it sounds like he needs some ice cream or froyo for cooling and soothing! Sending prayers for an uneventful recovery from his dental and a successful/uneventful surgery for Jake.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest Energy11

Yes, DO NOT beat yourself up about it! These guys/gals, have HORRIBLE teeth, no matter WHAT we do! At least the bad ones are out!

Thanks :) I just feel like I should have seeb this coming :blush

He's had a little water, a little yogurt, and now home made chix and rice. He actually got a little bit of a nap in. Usually after dentals, he sleeps for hours, but not today. He doesn't get more pain meds until tomorrow.

He is starting to look a little better. Tomorrow I will try to clean his face. Jake and Red want to be with him, and Jake wants to lie with him. I'm letting them visit, but I will kick them out soon. :)

It was so weird with only two in the house today. We have always had two nad have only only had three since Oct, but boy was it weird :unsure

vr2a.jpg

Paul had 27 teeth pulled in March and he is going back on Friday for another dental. One of his nine remaining teeth had turned a purplish-black. I called two weeks ago and they said as long as he is eating and doesn't seem to be in pain, the tooth just might have died and is not an emergency. He has been going for dentals twice a year, almost since we have him. Some greys just have bad teeth. Our vet thinks it might be genetic.

Try as we might, and I brush, apply gel, and use water additives, nothing helps.

I hope both guys will feel well and ready to roo!

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Polli lost 17 teeth at her first dental and she did just fine with everything from kibble to bully sticks! They are amazing. Hope he has a quick recovery.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm glad Chase got all those bad teeth out of him. I agree, don't beat yourself up about it....greys just have bad teeth. Hope, my angel, had great teeth and had a dental every year and it didn't matter all of a sudden her teeth turned crappy anyways.