Quick Answer Please- Is Benedryl Safe For Greys?

Guest Trentsmom

Guest Trentsmom

I give Benedryl to my mutt for thunder fear, but never to my grey. Today the fire works seem to be bothering him, but I remember reading Greys are sensitive to medications and to be very careful with what is given to him.

Do they tolerate benedryl okay? I'd like to give him some before the big fireworks get started.

He's about 75- 80 lbs

I give Benedryl to my mutt for thunder fear, but never to my grey. Today the fire works seem to be bothering him, but I remember reading Greys are sensitive to medications and to be very careful with what is given to him.

Do they tolerate benedryl okay? I'd like to give him some before the big fireworks get started.

He's about 75- 80 lbs

Yes, Benadryl is safe for greys. Just last week my vet said Gracie (about 60#) could take 2 pills 3x a day. Make sure you have regular benadryl, not time release, or benadryl-D - just pain benadryl. Some pups get sleepy from it, some don't. Hope it helps your guy!

Lisa, Matt, Travis, and Kathryn

Furkids: Gracie (Styled Princess) and felines Tilly and Nike

SignatureGreytalk.jpg

He's about 75- 80 lbs

Straight Benadryl is fine. But avoid the Benadryl+Tylenol or any other combination with the Benadryl. See here for dosing info and other cautions: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_Benadry..._you_give_a_dog

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Here's some other tips from an earlier posting fireworks fear

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

With Benadryl, it's 1mg per 1lb body weight, but not given all at once. Space it out.

Wayne's on Benadryl every summer for his allergies.

I can't see it helping with fireworks, but I guess anything is possible.

Good luck! I hate this holiday for the animals

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

My vets have said for mine, ranging from 65-85 pounds, (2) 50 mg tablets are fine, about every six hours, but, yes, it might be good to start low, with 25 mg, and see how that works, and you can always add the other 25 mg later on.

I am using (1) Valium, 5 mg. for Cari, 64, and Staggerlee 80.5. They are the ONLY ones who really care about the noise. Also using t-shirts on them, keep our window AC fans on high, TV and Radios turned up, etc. ... will all, hopefully keep them calm and drown out the "boomers!

Good Luck!

Guest Energy11
What are some of the risks of Benedryl? My 13 year old is freaking out but I'm afraid to give it to him.

Generally, no real risks. Children take Benedryl. If you DO give it, bare in mind, it will take 30-45 minutes to work, and I'd start with one 25 mg. at that age. Also try putting a t-shirt on him, and turning up your TV/Radio to drown out the boomers. Good Luck!