Abnormal Shedding?

Guest GreyDogsRule

Guest GreyDogsRule

We adopted a wonderful old fellow (10yrs) named George, about 4 months ago. The sweet old guy has a pancreatic condition, but the enzyme we put in his food works well. When we first got him, we took him to our vet for a wellness check up. Our vet said he was in excellent shape for his age.

George has that super soft hound coat that I have seen on only a few greys. It is almost like rabbit fur. We comb him often to control shedding. About a week or so ago, he started shedding more than normal. I have seen my other hounds “blow” their coats, but this seems like it could be abnormal and concerns me because of his age. His fur literally comes out in handfuls and continues to do so, although I have not noticed bald spots.

Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated. I will most likely take him to see the vet on Monday. By the way, he shows no signs of distress. He is just the same happy playful old fella he has always been. You gotta love those old houndies. They are wonderful.

Guest Energy11

Dasher, 12, when we adopted him, had a coat like that. HE had low thyroid, and of course, he was on a supplement. Has your old guy had his thyroid checked recently? THAT could be the reason, or just that, he is getting rid of the rest of his winter coat. I thought Curfew, 7, would NEVER stop shedding, but he did.

Good Luck! He sounds wonderful ... congrats!

If it's been warm where you are they will shed just like they're blowing their track coats for the first time. I have some that I can't even rub my hand down their back without coming up with a huge hand full of hair.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Spencers_Greyt

When it started warming up here Spencer was shedding incredibly huge amounts of hair. Handfuls like what you're saying. I was very alarmed and considered taking him to the vet but I used a Furminator on him frequently and gave him weekly baths and it finally stopped. Spencer never got bald spots (or I would have taken him to the vet) but I couldn't understand how such a baldy dog (Spencer doesn't have much hair to begin with) could possibly drop that much hair! So unless you see bald spots I wouldn't worry too much but regular grooming will help!

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Cabby and Outlaw both have bunny soft fur and it comes out like that in the spring. Outlaw has not fully shed his coat and become shiny yet so he is VERY hairy right now! I would say if he isn't getting bald he is probably ok, it should slow down in a few weeks. One thing I notice about my two bunny boys is along their topline they start getting shinier hair coming in, does his back look sleeker and shinier?