Question About Osu's Pre-chemo Heart Exam

Since it's a holiday weekend already I figure I won't get a hold of anyone at OSU. So I thought I'd post the question here. When I spoke with Dr. Marin before Cosmo's amp surgery she mentioned that before they send the chemo drugs they want a heart exam done. I thought it was a bit premature so I didn't ask at the time. But now I need to know what they mean by a heart exam. Is it just my vet having a listen or is there more required? Cosmo's getting her stitches out next Tuesday so I'd like to get whatever OSU needs done at the same time if I can. So if anyone's been down this road and knows what OSU needs, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks!

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Energy11

I would think an ECG (electro cardiogram) to check the heart's rhythm and rate, and to be sure everything is normal, listening to the heart, and taking the blood pressure. The only other thing I can think of is maybe an Echo-Cardiogram, which is kind of like an ultrasound picture of the heart, which shows the heart's chambers, valves, etc. Good Luck, and I hope everything turns out perfectly! :-)

Since it's a holiday weekend already I figure I won't get a hold of anyone at OSU. So I thought I'd post the question here. When I spoke with Dr. Marin before Cosmo's amp surgery she mentioned that before they send the chemo drugs they want a heart exam done. I thought it was a bit premature so I didn't ask at the time. But now I need to know what they mean by a heart exam. Is it just my vet having a listen or is there more required? Cosmo's getting her stitches out next Tuesday so I'd like to get whatever OSU needs done at the same time if I can. So if anyone's been down this road and knows what OSU needs, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks!

I would suggest contacting OSU and finding out what they want. Doing otherwise would risk either doing too little or too much. Also, as in "human medicine, requirements change frequently and you want the most up-to-date information. With any luck, they will get back to you before your appointment on Tuesday.

Guest Energy11

I would suggest contacting OSU and finding out what they want. Doing otherwise would risk either doing too little or too much. Also, as in "human medicine, requirements change frequently and you want the most up-to-date information. With any luck, they will get back to you before your appointment on Tuesday.

I wonder if they have "on call" people during a holiday weekend at OSU? If so, maybe THEY could tell you what to expect, etc.??? Worth a try :-) Good Luck!

The OSU Veternary Hospital is closed today except for emergencies. They will be open on Monday for business as usual. The emergency docs will not know what cardiac tests that the greyhound health and wellness program needs. Unfortunately I don't know either. I would give them a call first thing Monday morning. Dr. Couto is unavailable until July 13 but one of the docs in his program will know. Here is the website:

OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

Their phone number is (614) 247-6757.

Their official hours are 8 to 5 but a lot of them work longer hours than that.

Jane

Guest MorganKonaAlex

One of the drugs commonly used for osteosarcoma is Adriamycin (generic name Doxorubicin), which has a small risk of heart damage. Generally, a heart ultrasound is done before selecting it for treatment to confirm there isn't a pre-existing heart condition. I had Adriamycin myself for breast cancer and had an ultrasound beforehand.