More Gracie Updates

I'm SO glad to hear such a wonderful update!!!! :yay :yay :yay :yay

you're girl is one tough little Princess ;) and I just know she's going to be able to come to the Gala -- she just HAS to because I have to love on her BIG time!!!!!! :kiss2 :kiss2 :kiss2

give your little brave Princess a big wet smoochie from her Aunt Kim :kiss2 :kiss2

Wish I could go to Gala, just to give Gracie a greyt big hug!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go Gracie!!!

:yay :yay :yay :yay

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

That sounds really good for your girl! Many dogs seem to make an almost complete recovery from a stroke and it seems that Gracie is well on the way to being one of them. Very best wishes for continued improvement and many happy times ahead for your girl.

Sue from England

How is the beautiful little Princess doing?? :hope :hope :hope:kiss2 :kiss2

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Hey Kim - thanks for asking about Ms Gracie Ella Hound Dog! She can't wait to see you at the Gala in September. :D

Gracie has started to 'prance' in the yard. When both Matt and I are outside with her, she will trot from one of us to the other. She is able to move much better when she moves faster than when she is moving slowly. She is able to correct her feet and her gait is more normal. She hasn't needed the harness in a couple of days.

The last two days we took her for a ride in the car to give her a change of scenery. On Friday I asked her if she wanted to go for a car ride and I thought she was going to jump 6 feet in the air! She started bouncing and tail wagging, and she was smiling ear to ear!

She definitely still has a long way to go for her recovery, but she is working very hard. She bumps into things and falls over when trying to lay down, but I'm sure her muscles are sore and she's still adjusting to not having vision in her left eye. Some of this may go away in time, and some may not. I'm glad we were able to persevere with her and see what a fighter she really is. I feel confident that she is enjoying a good quality of life, even if it isn't what she had before. I have some new pictures of her that I need to post. Someday I'll get them off the memory card and post them. When I have a spare moment or two...

Gracie's former foster mom is coming to visit her today. I'm sure Gracie will pull out all the stops to impress Danette this morning!

Lisa, Matt, Travis, and Kathryn

Furkids: Gracie (Styled Princess) and felines Tilly and Nike

SignatureGreytalk.jpg

Continued good news - YAY! Even if her rate of recovery slows down for awhile, it sounds like she's come along far enough to be a happy girl again, and for the family to relax and get back to something much closer to normal.

Please do post pictures when you have a moment, including any from today when her foster mom visits.

I SO wish I were closer and could attend the Gala, just to kiss this sweet girlie on the top of her head.

She's an amazing girl! Keep up the good work Gracie!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

AWESOME........clever girl Gracie......

Continued well wishes sending from across the pond

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

How is our favorite girl doing?

Well, it has been about 3 1/2 weeks since Gracie's stroke. She's been home from the hospital for just over 2 weeks, and we have a totally different dog than the one we brought home. Different in a good way! :D

Gracie is now much more stable on her feet. She is able to stand up and lay down without too much trouble. She is able to walk pretty well. She still drags her rear left leg, so much that she has worn down a toenail to the quick already. We're using a boot on her foot when we go out for walks off of the grass. We started walking to the corner and back earlier this week. Now she is able to make it almost all of the way around the block.

Gracie has started to trot or prance when given the opportunity. Her gait is actually much better when she is in that trot mode. Matt took her out this afternoon and she actually tried to run. Go, Gracie, go!

We had our re-check with Neurology at UWVMTH yesterday. Everyone, especially Dr. Pettigrew, was astounded to see how she is doing. The look on his face was priceless when he came out to the waiting room to see us. Her neurology exam went well. Aside from her rear left leg dragging, the only other major deficit she has is the loss of vision in her left eye.

Dr. Pettigrew continues to question if she truly has a seizure disorder. Her previous two episodes did not match a description of a typical seizure. Yes, she did actually have a grand mal at the ER vet, but he believes it was because of the hyperthermia. Her body temp was at a fatal level when she was admitted. He thinks the behavior I was seeing that led me to get her to the ER was actually the beginning of the stroke. She does have hypertension which he believes was the cause of the stroke. Our plan right now is to phase her off of the phenobarbital, increase her blood pressure meds, and add a second blood pressure med.

She is also on an anti-anxiety med that has done WONDERS for her! She has always been on the anxious/nervous side, especially with noises. This year she laid next to an open window while our neighbors were playing with pyrotechnics. :eek

A couple of new accomplishments:

- Gracie has shown interest in getting back up on the couch. I lifted her up and she roached. She has been getting up and down from the couch on her own now. :D

- Gracie wants to go up and down the stairs. I've helped her walk up and down a couple of times already.

- She is able to navigate the two steps up to the deck and the one step into the house.

- Gracie is able to sit for a treat. I tried just the other day to see what her reaction was, and she surprised me that she sat for the treat!

We found out on Wednesday that Dr. Pettigrew is leaving UWVMTH to go to California. I'm sad to see him go, as I believe the constant encouragement from him was what helped us to move forward with Gracie. Without his comments that he felt it was a recoverable, it would have been hard for us to see her through the rough times at the beginning. We are sad to see him go, but wish him much happiness and success in the new chapter of his life.

Here are the obligatory pictures:

This is shortly after Gracie got home from the hospital. She was unable to move to get comfortable, and we found propping her bed with pillows and then her head with another pillow helped her feel better.

IMG_3653.jpg

This is the first post-stroke roach Gracie was able to do. She slept like that for at least an hour.

IMG_3655.jpg

This is the first day Gracie was able to stand on her own, without us for balance. That same day she took 2-3 steps. We brought out the bag of treats and made her keep walking to us for treats. :D

IMG_3663.jpg

Gracie's former foster mom, Danette, came to visit Gracie. Gracie really enjoyed the extra loving she got that day!

IMG_3669.jpg

Gracie was trotting/prancing around the yard. She looks funny here, but she's moving!

IMG_3671.jpg

Gracie is enjoying being able to move and stretch her legs. This is the last day she was off leash as she started to get too mobile to be without leash or fence. New fence is getting ordered this weekend, I hope!

IMG_3682v2.jpg

Love it when she stands like this, just as if she is posing for the camera.

IMG_3687.jpg

Gracie was laying on only part of the bolster of her bed. Her butt and head were on the floor, and just part of her chest was on the bed. Silly girl.

IMG_3690.jpg

Travis, the treat dispensing machine. He loves to give cookies to Gracie. And she is so gentle with taking them from him.

IMG_3696.jpg

Gracie looked like she wanted to get up on the couch, so I helped her up. She instantly roached and went to sleep. Silly girl.

IMG_3712.jpg

Gracie and her neurologist, Dr. Pettigrew. She looks nervous because she doesn't like the tiled floor. Just after this picture was taken she put her ears up and looked all cute. Oh well, timing isn't everything!

0708091202.jpg

Lisa, Matt, Travis, and Kathryn

Furkids: Gracie (Styled Princess) and felines Tilly and Nike

SignatureGreytalk.jpg

You must be grinning from ear to ear. So good to hear how well she is doing!

She's a beautiful little girl. 'Course you know that, but I had to say it. :wub:

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Gracie :wub::wub:

Keep on challenging your family with new accomplishments - somehow, I think they are up to the challenge pretty girl!

Sidebar: I wonder if she'll be more stable once she's off the phenobarbitol.

(Edited for spelling.)

Edited by Rickiesmom

What a fantastic update! Those pictures speak volumes! She's absolutely beautiful and such a brave girl. Nice job to all of you!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest HappyHarleysMom

I hadn't checked for awhile - and just tickled to hear about Gracie's progress! Those pics are awesome! I bet you are just tickled too!

Keep it up Gracie! We're cheering you on! :clap

I hadn't checked for awhile - and just tickled to hear about Gracie's progress! Those pics are awesome! I bet you are just tickled too!

Keep it up Gracie! We're cheering you on! :clap

Gracie is doing just awesome! What wonderful pictures of your happy, sweet girl. You have done a fantastic job of watching and sensing her needs at each step of the healing process. :yay :yay Way to go Gracie!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest PhillyPups

:yay WAY TO GO GRACIE :yay

What an awesome recovery Gracie has made! A lot of work put in by Gracie and you.

Wishing Dr.Pettigrew all the best.

Guest ss556

I have tears in my eyes reading this. I am so happy for Gracie and you. God Bless. I hope she continues getting better every day. Hugs and scritches!