Need Advice

Guest greyscot

Guest greyscot

I'm in Scotland and it is 80 degrees in the shade :eek. Seriously this is wonderful weather BUT Sporty is really feeling the heat. I am keeping him indoors with a fan on him and I have taken him out and hosed him down which he seemed to enjoy so I'll do that again. Is there anything else I can do?? He's not in any danger it's just that he does not know what to do with himself :) Poor dog keeps pacing then flopping down - I feel so sorry for him. He is drinking plenty so that's good.

Guest Energy11

You CAN mix Gatorade, or any other sports drink, or Pedilyte 50/50 in his water. We do that in the really hot weather. It really seems to help. You might want to give him ice water, as well. Mine love it in the hot weather. Just don't let him get overheated and drink a ton.

Good Luck! Try to keep cool. Sounds like you are doing all the right things!

Poor Sporty, the heat is tough on them. Sounds like you're doing everything you can to keep him cool.

In the summer here, we live almost totally indoors and the dogs hate it.

Hope it cools down

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

A small pool filled with water that a hound can lay in is liked by some.

Misting - a spray bottle filled with water - is liked by some

Towel wet with cool water and laid across hound - but not for long, as it will absorb the heat, and then it's not good to keep on the hound.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Poor Sporty! :(:kiss2

Janette, I also get an ice cube or a towel that I've soaked in cold water (I get rid of the excess water once I've soaked it) and I put it on their tummies, and behind their ears, and on the major arteries... it seems to really cool them down. I dry them off afterwards.

I also put some filtered water in a tupperware and stick it in the freezer. When it's iced up, I give it to them to lick. They LOVE this.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Shermanator

I can't help you too much, we live in Phoenix, and both boys go outside in full sun @115 degrees and sunbathe. :huh

However, they are demanding with their water. They drink more if it is ice cold. So, I am always dumping ice in their water to encourage them to drink.

Guest chaoran22

i hose mine down all the time. and then turn a fan on them when they're drying off, that pulls the heat off with the quickly evaporating water so even though they can't sweat, they can feel the coolness on their skin and that helps. Lanark, Scotland huh? I remember reading Lanark: a life in four books in college - is that Lanark named after your town?

Guest GreenGreys

While attending our first summer "pupnick" I accidentally discovered that the hounds like to stand in a basin of ice water. I had put it on the ground for them to drink, but they chose to stand in it instead! We also have a plastic baby pool in our back yard for them to stand or lay in when they are with us outside during the summer heat.