Yelping With No Clear Reason

We have 5-1/2 Rimadyl left over from a tooth she got yanked. Expiration date is >3 months from now. Give her one to see if the pain is a muscle strain, probably in the neck/shoulder: good idea, provided it's done well in advance of the visit to the vet? Yes? No?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I'd be tempted not to give the medicine, lest something be masked. But then I'm not the one hearing my pup yelping! Good luck, and please update us.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Checking here too?

If you caved and gave her a Rimadyl and she is no longer yelping, it *probably* is a soft tissue or arthritis sort of thing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well, if I'd given her that Rimadyl last night, I'd have been convinced it worked. But I did not give her one, and she's much improved today. One or two minor vocalizations out of her since this morning, and that's been it. Nothing nearly like yesterday. We didn't walk her last night, but we walked her the night before; we're both wondering if she pulled something while wearing the harness.

So- I've deferred the trip to the vet for today, if for no better reason I hate being the person who brings in the dog and says, "Well, she was complaining a lot yesterday..."

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

So- I've deferred the trip to the vet for today, if for no better reason I hate being the person who brings in the dog and says, "Well, she was complaining a lot yesterday..."

Been there, done that and it's very much like taking your car to a mechanic because it's been making a mystery noise.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest chaoran22

my boy will occasionally do that after a good run at the beach. he will be lying there, not moving at all and yelp. then get up, walk around, and be fine. we just make sure to walk him out well after a crazy run and i grab his legs and stretch him afterward too (grab the front two and pull him up and towards me, then grab the back like a wheelbarrow and do the same - he thinks i'm crazy but doesn't seem to mind) and also rub him down hard after a good run and that seems to have helped stop the occurrences. i also give him a banana or two afterward for the potassium - no idea if that helps but he likes them.

Guest Energy11

My former vet/employer and still friend, says you can use most meds up to 6-8 mo. after expiration. Good Luck with your baby!

UPDATE: She stopped yelping about a day or two after my first post. Not a peep of pain out of her in days now, so- looks like it was just a muscle strain or something. She's back to tearing up the yard, raising cain and causing havoc. :)

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

• 9 years later...

Our Greyhound, Rocco,  yelps when he gets up and sometimes when he is walking.  However, after numerous checks at the vet as well as a fully body imaging scan there is no diagnosis.  Other than the occasional yelp he seems great and doesn't have any other symptoms.  

Any ideas?  After reading somethings on line i think sometimes his yelp might just be when other dogs bark?  

Thanks,
Jason