Yelping With No Clear Reason

Minerva's been yelping with no clear reason for about 4-5 days now; Saturday was the worst, but there were two this morning. The weird thing is that she's not DOING anything half the time she yelps, and when she does, it's back to normal with no signs anything was wrong. For example, she'll yelp and then stand up and stretch like nothing's wrong.

There's no limp, and she runs like always, no deficit or injury. It's just as if someone stood on her toes- with a sharp yelp- and, bingo, back to normal. No signs of deformity, no injuries, no big changes in diet, no problems with stool quality or quantity, nothing like vomiting or anything. It's been a lot hotter than usual and she gets tired towards the end of walks, but she's close to 9 years old so the heat of Phoenix is bound to get her down even though we only walk at night.

Any ideas?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest BlackandBrindle

Charlie horse maybe? Or could it be nerve pain? When I had the nerve pain in my neck it was always erratic and usually only lasted a second...

Guest Tuxsmom

does she have a temp? this is how Penny started with her symptoms, and the vet at first theorized that she might have had a high temp which can cause overall soreness, even though no limp or anything noticeable.

standing up and stretching afterwards makes me think tummy problems

although it could also be neck or back spasms...they can happen without actually moving. has she overdone any exercise lately? does she bend over and/or lift her head normally?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

There's no consistency between what she's doing and when she yelps. Sometimes, it's a midnight scream. Other times, it's a yelp, followed by shifting and stretching. A few times it's been just standing there. They seem to come at random times.

The only thing I've noticed different was that I was stroking her shoulder while she was lying down; she didn't yelp, but the corner of her mouth pulled all the way back, just for an instant. Did it again the next time, too. It's not 100% repeatable, but it's too often to be a coincidence. She's never yelped from me doing it, but I'm afraid to press harder. It's on her right side, and she normally sleeps on her left.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Tuxsmom

this is exactly how Penny started. Before her neck stiffness, she did exactly what you describe. the pulling back at the mouth. screaming at night while absolutely nothing was touching her. and yelping out of nowhere. don't want to scare you, and you are a lot more knowledgeable than me, probably, but just keep a close eye :hope

i hope you figure out a pattern and get an answer... :grouphug

I had a similar mystery problem with Onyx once except it was more like random crying rather than yelping. My vet couldn't find anything wrong so we scheduled x-rays. Then I noticed him tilting his head to one side and realized he may have an ear infection. Sure enough, that's what it was. The vet didn't see it on the initial exam because it was way down deep inside.

Sometimes it can be so darn diffucult to figure out what is going on. If only they could talk.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Has she maybe been playing with a stuffy and hurt her neck? Gidgie would shake a stuffy until it made me dizzy. When she pulled the muscle in her neck, she would yelp every time she got up or down.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Her temperature is 99.5; I just gave her a full shoulder grope with the video on her, trying to capture any sort of change in expression as I got before. She tried to go to sleep on me; no signs of pain.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

You say it's been hot, maybe she's having muscle cramps or spasms. Is she drinking enough? Will she eat a banana, maybe a little more potassium would help.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Beth, age three, has yelped a few times while lying down in the past week too, which she never did before . . . no moving or anything after, and she's full of energy otherwise. At least one time it looked like she had been sort of lying with her foot tucked under her chest. She hasn't done it for the past few days that I recall -- since it cooled down a bit, now that I think of it. This isn't any help to you, but I'm interested in tracking what you learn!

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Wish I had some help to offer, but all I have is good thoughts to hold for you. I can imagine how perplexed you must be. All I have is my bias, if that's the right word, that they do this stuff for a reason, and I hope GTers can keep coming up with good hypotheses to consider.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Is she doing it only when she gets up from her bed? Is there something poking her from inside the bed?

Well, she does it when she's on the floor, too. She seems to be getting up BECAUSE she yelped, meaning there's something hurting her, and she moves. But then it's gone.

Her chest might be slightly distended, too; it looked a bit off yesterday. It's not tight or anything, and maybe I've been feeding them a bit more the past couple of weeks, but she's not gassy or anything. If it's real, it's symmetrical, so it's not like a lump on one side or the other.

She wasn't yelping much the past couple of days, maybe 2-3 times, but there's been a lot more of it today.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Her chest might be slightly distended, too; it looked a bit off yesterday. It's not tight or anything, and maybe I've been feeding them a bit more the past couple of weeks, but she's not gassy or anything. If it's real, it's symmetrical, so it's not like a lump on one side or the other.

That would be worth checking out promptly -- fluid, maybe?

If not that, then my best guess would be neck/shoulder soft tissue injury. Anti-inflammatory and rest.

Fingers crossed you can figure it out and get her on the road to feeling better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Is this where you get the x-rays/ultrasound? :unsure

I suppose, if we could narrow down from where the pain is coming from. Otherwise, we're looking at full-body films.

If she's yelp-y tomorrow, I'm going to try to get her in with the local greyhound-savvy vet; he has a clinic- no appointments- so it's very easy to do that. It's just so danged hot, our car's a/c isn't that good, and it's a long drive. But an Igloo with ice water and some wet towels will go with us.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

If you think her chest looks/feels fluffy, a quick x-ray of the torso including heart would not be a bad thing. Fingers and toes crossed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If you think her chest looks/feels fluffy, a quick x-ray of the torso including heart would not be a bad thing. Fingers and toes crossed.

More further back, towards the abdomen. She's a very skinny girl, so a little extra back there really shows. Thorax looks fine; abdomen- *maybe* a touch of swelling.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Ah. That would be a good area to get checked out, too. At our vet's, a whole greyhound torso generally fits on one film.

Swelling toward the middle to back end of the ribcage could be liver, stomach, spleen, etc. Or just "I've been eating a lot lately." With the yelping, tho, I'd want to see (as I'm sure you do, too).