Sterling Lethargic And Not Eating Again

Guest ZBippy

Guest ZBippy

A few months ago I posted about Sterling not eating and acting pretty blah. He was eventually diagnosed with glomerular nephritis, put on Enalapril and aspirin, and started eating kidney diet dog food. His turnaround was amazing and he started acting very energetic. For a while I was describing him as "obnoxiously energetic--like a lab rather than a greyhound."

Well now he has gone downhill again. He's barely eating and when he does it is with much coaxing. I gave all the dogs RMBs in the yard yesterday and it took him a half hour to be convinced that it was worth getting off the couch and going outside for. Once he started on it, he did stick with it for a long while but his reluctance in getting off the couch for anything (especially food) really has me worried.

I've got a vet appointment for him on Wednesday but in the meantime I'd like to get him to eat a bit more. DH is of the mind that we should add whatever we can to his food to get him to eat but I don't know if that will make the GN worse. I did add a can of sardines to his food on Saturday and he ate maybe half of it. Then he quit, went and lay on the couch, and didn't even make a move or sound when he watched Smokey run over and eat his food.

Any suggestions? Should I add whatever it takes to get him to eat or stick with just the KD food for now?

Guest Energy11

Goldie HATES KD food. She loves either, Royal Canin Renal MP, or Purina NF. The Renal MP is her favorite, though. MIGHT be time to switch from KD. Most of them hate that food. You could always try canned versions of the two foods, we well, as some dogs prefer the canned over the kibble.

Good Luck on Wed!

Guest ZBippy

Do any of the big box petstores sell Royal Canin Renal MP or Purina NF? Or should I start by looking at some of the smaller pet stores?

Thank you for this suggestion!

Guest Energy11

I THINK, but, you might want to call ... PetSmart may carry the foods. I don't live close to any of big store, so my vet special orders it. IF you cannot find it there, I'd ask the vet to order it. Prices are actually LOWER than K/D. Goldie will NOT touch it.

Good Luck and let me know if you find it! D