Wet Spots On Couch

Guest mollieandme

Guest mollieandme

A couple times now Maggie has left large, pretty damp wet spots on the couch and once on her bed. This happens as she's lying there. Her butt's wet but it seems to happen without licking. It doesn't smell like pee and she never has accidents in the house aside from these mystery spots. Today, it happened on a couch and her bed. The spot on her bed is the size of a dinner plate and not soaked through like I'd expect an accident to be but it does have the hard edge of a spill rather than a fuzzy edge of lickage. How's that for crime scene investigation?

I'm posting this here rather than behavior because I don't think this is a training issue. Any ideas?

You sure she is not licking?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Skye licks, Gus licks and Isabella licks....

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest mollieandme

I'm not positive she's not licking but the recent couch spot happened within 10 minutes underneath her. Also, this is St Bernard volume licking if that's what it is.

Guest Judynyc
I'm not positive she's not licking but the recent couch spot happened within 10 minutes underneath her. Also, this is St Bernard volume licking if that's what it is.

It sounds like she's leaking even if it doesn't smell like pee. This can happen to females after they are spayed if its a botched spay and to older females as they age.

Tell your vet you think she's leaking in her sleep and they can prescribe Proin for her...which is what is used to manage this condition.

It is not behavioral so you are right about that, she doesn't even know its happeneing.....poor girl.

I had a female that leaked like that for 14 yrs....and was on the med that is in Proin(phenylpropanalamine) until it no longer worked for her. Hers was a botched spay that I wasn't able to figure out until it was way too late.:(

Beau leaks becasue of the pred. But, he starts to realize it and then he (gross) licks it.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Spencer is a meticulous groomer/licker and licks his legs and chest which leave big ole wet spots on his bed or wherever he's laying. Buzz's nose drips constantly so his wet spots are from his nose.

Sounds like lick-i-tus to me. ;)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest sheila

try putting some panties with a lining on her. If the wet spot is contained in the panty/liner then you have your trouble spot targeted. If there is still a dinner plate size puddle then it's probably licking.

Guest greytloves

I have a pillow licker. No matter if the pillow is kind of under him, he will stick his head under him as if he was cleaning himself and lick until he goes to sleep!

I've given up trying to have nice pillows on the sofa! Just as long as they are washable!

Does it have any odor to it?

Wayne is a fabric licker, he actually will put himself in sort of a trance doing it and he leaves huge wet spots wherever he's been.

But I can usually hear him doing it. Could be she's licking or could be she's leaking. Leaking is a much easier fix

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest mollieandme

Thank you all. I will get some panties (I wonder if Victoria's dog has a secret- well, I guess it's not a secret on a dog.) I was out for several hours today and there wasn't a spot anywhere (I muzzle them when I'm gone) so it could be licking. But, I also see both of them licking their bolsters and it's never this damp.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Blot some up with a nice, white paper towel. Any tint of yellow indicates urine (urochrome, coming from breakdown of B vitamins).

Minerva does the licking thing. I come home, take off their muzzles, hop in the shower- by the time I get out, there's a huge wet spot on the cushion she was sitting on. It's invariably from her licking.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

• 12 years later...

Hi - long shot on such an old post, but wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this? Your original description fits my girl to a tee!! It’s so sporadic here that if it’s incontinence I don’t know why it happens so rarely, but if it’s licking it is buckets of drool!!

9 hours ago, rebeccab said:

Hi - long shot on such an old post, but wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this? Your original description fits my girl to a tee!! It’s so sporadic here that if it’s incontinence I don’t know why it happens so rarely, but if it’s licking it is buckets of drool!!

Have her anal gland been checked? If they are full, excessive licking could be a sign that one or both are about to rupture.  BTDT with my girl.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png