Always Wanted To Be A Greyt Owner...

Guest lovebug610

Guest lovebug610

Hi Everyone,

My name is Tiffany and I have a deep love for greyhounds. About 7-8 years ago I wanted to adopt a greyhound. I went to all the meet and greets, printed off the applications, read all the right books... had a fenced in backyard- you know the drill. And then one day I went to a shelter and found Griffin- my black lab mix and one of the loves of my life... no greyhound.

Fast forward a fews years... a new house (no fenced in yard), a new baby and still my Griffy... but no greyhound.

Finally in 2006 when my son was 2 years old, I couldn't stand it anymore and went through the process to get a Grey. I knew in my heart that my son was too young, that our non-fenced in back yard would be very difficult to manage- but I did it anyway. We brought "Storm" home in June. She was a sweet girl- but absolutely TERRIFIED of my son and annoyed with Griffin. She had many accidents in the house I think because she was so nervous of all of the activity caused by my son. Finally, she growled and barked at my son one day- I got nervous. 3 days later she had had enough of Griffin and she bit him- tearing one of his ears completely in half. I was heartbroken, frazzled and scared. Storm went back to the organization on Fathers day in 2006.

So, 3 years later I am starting to get the itch again. I want nothing more than to be a Grey mom. Silly, I know... but there is just SOMETHING about greyhounds that I absolutely love. I still have my son (obviously) who just turned 5. I still have Griffin who will be turning 8 in August and I still am hoping that someday I can have a sweet greyhound. My husband feels that we should wait until after Griffin goes- after what happened... but my goodness it isn't like he is an old dog...

So, I am in limbo, in turmoil and looking to the experts for advice... thanks to anyone who responds. I love to look at the photos of your babies!

Tiffany

Welcome to GT! :welcome2

Sounds like Storm just wasn't the right fit for your family and your family just wsan't ready yet. If you are thinking of adopting a grey again I would recommend you talk with an adoption group again preferably one who fosters. That way the group can work with you on getting the right dog for your family and this will give you the chance to interact with the dog before he/she comes home with you.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Guest TBSFlame

If you are looking at our photos then you know many people live with greys and labs and pitts and kitties and kids. Storm was not the right match. Trust the group to place the right one or foster for the group.

I agree, it sounds like Storm was not a good fit for your family. There are a lot of other greyhounds out there that would fit the bill for you. Check around and see. I have 10 who live very happily with one another with no problems. If you're patient, the right one will come along.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest lovebug610

I agree that she wasn't a good fit and the adoption organization did offer us a different dog at the time, but I declined as I felt that I had rushed things. I would love to find a sweet boy or girl that would love our family the way it is! Thanks to those that have replied, it helps me feel that there is still hope in owning a greyhound!

Guest Harry702

There is definitely a greyhound out there who is perfect for your family. You just have to keep in mind that it will require your due diligence to find that pup.

If it were me, I would definitely work with a group that fosters the dogs. You stand a better chance of understanding how a pup will behave in a home environment that way. I'd also keep an eye out for a dog who was bounced from a home with young children, and therefore has experience living with kids.

I also think that having a greyhound and a small child requires a little more "work" at home to ensure that everyone's needs are being met. It will be particularly important that your son understands that greyhounds are different than labs, and it's possible that the way he interacts with the lab isn't the best way to interact with the greyhound.

I absolutely think you should look into adopting a greyhound, but I think you should have patience and make sure you adopt the right greyhound for you. There will always be greys who need homes... if adopting one now doesn't work out, maybe in a few more years when your son is a bit older.

Guest lovebug610

Thank you Harry702,

Yes, Storm was actually the first dog that we met- she was at an event and we fell in love with her. But looking back, she had been fostered in a home with only greys and no kids. So, hindsight being 20/20- that probably wasn't a good call on our part even though we were told she was kid friendly.

The last time we were at this our son was just 2. And now that he is 5, he has a little better understanding (although he still needs plenty of reminding). The big thing for me that I am still thinking about are those differences between the lab and grey- for example- he likes to take our lab's collar off, let him outside when he's asking to go out, etc. All big NO NO's in the grey world. we can let our lab roam in our front yard without worry and rules would have to change for a grey. Anyway, I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know, but it is nice to meet people who love the breed and understand some of the trials that can take place with trying to get one in your home :)

I know it will happen and I really feel that this time I have the patience and setting to make it happen!!! I just might need some support along the way!

Guest Harry702
Thank you Harry702,

Yes, Storm was actually the first dog that we met- she was at an event and we fell in love with her. But looking back, she had been fostered in a home with only greys and no kids. So, hindsight being 20/20- that probably wasn't a good call on our part even though we were told she was kid friendly.

The last time we were at this our son was just 2. And now that he is 5, he has a little better understanding (although he still needs plenty of reminding). The big thing for me that I am still thinking about are those differences between the lab and grey- for example- he likes to take our lab's collar off, let him outside when he's asking to go out, etc. All big NO NO's in the grey world. we can let our lab roam in our front yard without worry and rules would have to change for a grey. Anyway, I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know, but it is nice to meet people who love the breed and understand some of the trials that can take place with trying to get one in your home :)

I know it will happen and I really feel that this time I have the patience and setting to make it happen!!! I just might need some support along the way!

You mention the off leash thing, and that is a good point, but I was actually mostly referring to a child's interaction with a greyhound vs. a lab. For example, you can be more "rough and tumble" with a lab than with greys. Greys are sensitive and have extremely thin skin... what might feel good or be acceptable to a lab, could hurt or startle a greyhound. Another example would be the fact that greyhounds sleep A LOT... and many of them don't take too kindly to being startled awake by anyone... and kids tend to have difficulty understanding and respecting a greyhound's need for his own space and time alone. Complicating matters is the fact that it's not uncommon for greyhounds to sleep with their eyes open... it's important for the greyhound to have "his" space, whether that be a crate, a bed, or an entire room.

I really don't mean to scare you away from the breed. Greyhound personalities run the gamut, and I truly believe that there is a perfect greyhound for any person or family willing to put the effort into being good dog/greyhound owners. I just think it will be especially important for you to know what you're signing up for when you bring one of these wonderful creatures home.

Guest Jennifer4719

As Harry702 has stated that some greys have space and sleep aggression, but not all do. My grey has never lived with kids, nor is she exposed to kids that often, but she LOVES, LOVES, LOVES kids. She does not have one ounce of any type of space or sleep aggression. She actually can be in the deepest sleep and if I move or try to leave the room, she catches me. She watches me like a hawk, so there is never any chance that I could ever sneek up on her when she is sleeping. She lives just fine with my now 8 year old lab mix and my kitty. I think the right grey is out there for your family, you just need to find the right group that is willing to help you find him or her. Maybe try fostering with intent to adopt, that way nothing is permanent. Good luck with whatever decision you and your family make!

Any breed can have sleep or space issues, so it is just good practice to ensure that your son is aware and reinforce with him how to approach any dog that is sleeping or on it's bed.

Guest Flysmom

Welcome! Hope you will find the ONE!

Our first boy Fly was never around kids before we brought him home and he did awesome with our then 5 year old son and our other fur kids. I was a bit concerned how he would react to a baby when I found out that I am pregnant, but again, he was fine. I never left Fly alone with Niklas (the little one), but I never would leave a small child alone with any dog, it would not matter how well behaved the animal is....

Our new boy Cisco was also never around kids except at Meet and Greets and he took to my 2 boys in a heart beat. He loves to play with them and be around them. My boys know not to disturb him when he sleeps (there is not sleep agression but they could startle him), not to take his collar off and we have a fenced backyard so it is ok for them to let him out. They also know never to leave the Front door open and to make sure that the gates in the yard are closed. I sound like a broken record every day but rather the nagging mom then loosing Cisco...

Guest Becky__R

I think you should contact your local greyhound group and offer to dog-sit. Do a trial run before dog-sitting, as well. Have the greyhound who will be staying with you visit for an hour, just to check out the suitability of the situation. Then while dog-sitting observe the atmosphere with a second dog in your home. Can your son be gentle? Is your lab open to another dog? Can you maintain a chilled out state of mind while a new dog is settling in? Important Note: While dog-sitting, will you be up to the commitment of walking the dog first thing in the morning, the last thing at night, and every potty break in between? If everything goes well while dog-sitting, and you think you're ready to adopt a grey, get a fence.

Here's the facts:

* you cannot let a greyhound wander around free range. This is not up for debate, you just can't do it.

* It will create a weird dynamic if your lab is walking around freely, but your greyhound is leashed while outside.

* You really shouldn't have your lab outside without a leash on either. It probably violates your area's leash laws, annoys the neighbors and exposes your lab to a possible dog fight with a stray dog.

I understand getting the greyhound bug. Make sure you do everything you can to make your adoption a successful one! Best Wishes on your voyage to greyhound parenthood.

Guest IrskasMom

First of all WELCOME :wave:wave:wave and second , there is plenty of time for you to ever own a Grey( or vice versa)

IMHO ...I would wait until your Son is slightly older and understands the Dynamic of a Hound. It also puts a lot of stress

on an older Pup with a new Pup ( younger ) coming in. Dont rush into anything and see , what Life brings .

As Harry702 has stated that some greys have space and sleep aggression, but not all do. My grey has never lived with kids, nor is she exposed to kids that often, but she LOVES, LOVES, LOVES kids. She does not have one ounce of any type of space or sleep aggression.

Mine is exactly like this too, just so you know it's not uncommon. I get kind of embarrassed, I really don't particularly like kids but she makes me be friendly to them. :blush And I've been watchful for sleep/space aggression but she's never ever reacted in the slightest way.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

First of all WELCOME :wave:wave:wave and second , there is plenty of time for you to ever own a Grey( or vice versa)

IMHO ...I would wait until your Son is slightly older and understands the Dynamic of a Hound. It also puts a lot of stress

on an older Pup with a new Pup ( younger ) coming in. Dont rush into anything and see , what Life brings .

I agree with this post.

Having a 5 year old son and a new greyhound means that you cannot leave them alone for an instant and it just takes to much work to make sure that there will not be any problems. I'd say wait a few years until your son is older .... In the meantime, enjoy your life!

Guest lovebug610

Thanks for all the replies. I must admit that I am a little disappointed with all of the "wait" suggestions, but completely understand. I see so many families with small children with greys and hoped that we too could join the "club". I am willing to wait to do what is right for all involved. I appreciate the feedback very much and will continue to visit and post on everyone's beautiful hounds.

Guest weycoolgrey
If you are looking at our photos then you know many people live with greys and labs and pitts and kitties and kids. Storm was not the right match. Trust the group to place the right one or foster for the group.

:nod

Welcome to GT!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CaseynovasMom

Hey there,

Just wanted to post a successful greyhound + kids story. We got our Casey last December - my kids were 5.5, 4, and 6 months. All boys, but gentle boys. We had had a dog previously, so they knew rules about what was/wasn't acceptable behavior for a dog. We keep the crate up and open for Casey all the time -whenever the boys get a little noisy, he just retires to his crate. Also, if I need to put the baby down or a few minutes that I can't keep my eye on everyone, into the crate he goes with the door latched. I'm just not willing to take any risks w/ accidents. So, the kid issue is an okay one for us. Casey was well tested to be kid-safe, though, he fostered with a family who runs an in-home day care and did perfectly for 2 weeks. So just make sure your adoption agency really puts any potential adoptee for you through some good kid testing.

Anyway, I hope owning a grey becomes a reality for you soon! They truly do make life grand. :)