Thyroid Medicine-where Do You Buy It From?

I asked my vet to call in a perscription at Walmart and he said the human version is a very low dose so they don't have the correct dose for Passion. He said I can still get it there but it will be 3 pills twice a day.

Just wondering if people do (give 3 pills twice a day?) this or where do they get it from?

thanks

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest myjazzy

I get mine from KV Vet Supply. The price depends on what strength you get, but I get 250 tablets of Soloxine for $32.95. I just have my vet fax the prescriprion over to them.

I buy only soloxine (brand) and get it from Omaha Vaccine. Vet is correct. What dose will she be on?

.8 mg (half a pill twice a day)

I just read:

usual dose in dogs is 0.1mg per 10 pounds

She's only 55 lbs so I wonder why such a high dose? Maybe it will help with her whining :lol

Edited by Wonder

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Next, I found this:

Call your veterinarian if your pet develops any of these serious side effects; sleep problems; personality changes; fever; appetite changes, weight changes. Less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to use Soloxine if your pet experiences; cough; loss of appetite; dizziness, drowsiness; sleep problems; dry mouth; nausea, vomiting, diarrhea; itching or rash. Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your veterinarian about any side effect that seems unusual or bothersome to the animal.

How the heck would I even know if she had some of these? dry mouth? hmmm....maybe she will whine less :rofl

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I buy only soloxine (brand) and get it from Omaha Vaccine. Vet is correct. What dose will she be on?

I just read:

She's only 55 lbs so I wonder why such a high dose? Maybe it will help with her whining :lol

That's a lot as a starting dose. Heck, that's a high dose, period.

What was her T4? TSH?

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Sorry--disagree about it being a high dose--she's only giving 0.4mgs twice daily to a 55lb dog (assuming she is truly hypothyroid). Really need to see what her T4 is on that dose in about a month (remember to have the blood draw 4-6 hours after you give the tablet).

I just read:

With people you don't usually just start someone on a high dose of thyroid medicine because it can have pretty rough side effects - most human doctors will gradually increase the dose up to the desired level after doing blood work and sometimes it takes a year or more to get to the "proper" level.

Just my opinion but, you might want to get back to your vet and see about doing this gradually .... or you might want to get a second opinion ...

I'll talk to him and make sure

He only charges .20 a pill so I am just going to get it from him

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Sorry--disagree about it being a high dose--she's only giving 0.4mgs twice daily to a 55lb dog (assuming she is truly hypothyroid). Really need to see what her T4 is on that dose in about a month (remember to have the blood draw 4-6 hours after you give the tablet).

I read it as 0.8 2x's a day. You're right, 0.4mg is more in line with a suitable dose, but I have to wonder if there are no symptoms and no TSH, why the need for supplementation?

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I read it as 0.8 2x's a day. You're right, 0.4mg is more in line with a suitable dose, but I have to wonder if there are no symptoms and no TSH, why the need for supplementation?

I'll ask that as well

Her T4 has been going down each year so maybe that's why

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I'll ask that as well

Her T4 has been going down each year so maybe that's why

Part of that could be the fluctuation in the test accuracy? Not sure.

T4 is a useless test for diagnosis. I wouldn't medicate a dog with no symptoms based on T4 alone. Neither will my vets.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am curious about the dosage, too. Carl weighs 75 lbs. and he only takes .7 (1/2 tab in the morning and 1/2 tab in the evening). Given the weight disparity, that's quite a difference in dosage.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I found out an ex-foster of mine is on .6 and is being bumped up to .8 although she's slightly stockier than Passion and probably 10-15 lbs heavier (we have the same vet)

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Carl was retested 3 months after starting the thyroid meds and he was exactly where a greyhound should be. It just sounds high to me, given her weight, but I'm no expert. Just going by what Carl is on.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

My girl is on 0.5 twice a day. I pay $50 for 1000 pills from my vet. Her labs are perfect at this dose.

Frasier (deceased now) was on the same dose for 3 years and he weighed probably 20#'s more than Sug, and

his labs were perfect also. My vets have always sent their labs to Michigan State.

Different dogs need different doses and while weight is a guide, it's not a hard and fast rule, not in dogs nor in humans.

My Sug was put on Soloxine when she was racing, she went to the group on this dose, I got her as a foster on this dose and when I adopted her, she had her very first thyroid panel. Her labs were perfect then and have remained so for years. :)

I trust my vet, that's what I pay my vet for and I expect her to take good care of my dogs and she's never failed me yet.

Ace is roughly 60 lbs and when she started on meds, our vet started her on .6...a year later after her retest, she was still low so we bumped her up to .8 and she's been doing well on that.

I just buy her meds from the vet - they're ThyroTabs...but I think I'll have him fax the script to Omaha Vaccine for Soloxine once this batch is out...I've kept buying them from the vet's office because I always wait until the last minute to get more :rolleyes:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--