Excessive Panting

Do some dogs just pant excessively?

We've had Elsie 4 weeks. She has settled in nicely, although she'd much rather follow me than the pack! She pants a lot. And I do mean a lot- you know when they are lying down and their body is vibrating? She's had a full physical, blood work, etc.

I didn't mention this before as all my hounds did this when they first were settling in. I thought it would stop. But now that she discovered it's much nicer to sleep next to mommy in her bed, rather than on the dog beds, I was highly aware of the bed vibrating whenever she wasn't laying down.

She is otherwise very happy, tail wagging, active- VERY MUCH SO and a joy.

any ideas? I've always gone with the notion that excessive panting is pain, stress or heat- non of which I am aware is is experiencing.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Robin Jack panted a lot all his life. I was always afraid I would never know the difference if he was in pain. I did because there was a slight pulling back of the lips with pain panting. Otherwise he was a panting machine :P

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest kydie

I noticed panting when mine were in pain, or stress, and We all know about excessive heat, If it has not been really warm in your neck of the woods, I'd place my money on stress, it took about 6 mo. before one of mine settled in

Oh, this is a great thread!

My Claire is a panter, too. She's been with me since the end of Feb, I suspected it had to with stress as she's had a clean bill of health (well, her blood work is good, but she is being treated for Ehrlichia and we are waiting to find out if she needs to be treated for Babesia). Her brother/littermate, Carl, always runs hot, but he doesn't pant as much as she does. She's a sensitive soul, I'm guessing she's still settling in.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest vikmb2

Hi,

How much water is your dog drinking? Is it more then the average dog takes in? That could cue you into a few things is she is a big drinker. It could also do nothing more than confirm anxiety. I have a 9 yr old male who's always been terrified by thunderstorms. I know long before I hear thunder that one is coming b/c he begins the wide open, big mouthed panting w/really fast & shallow breathing. He needs a drool bucket.

Guest EmbersDad

is it constant? can it be weather related? jed will start to pant at least 30 min to an hour before a rain storm hits. he then paces about the house. im guessing he can sense the static charge building up in the air, or change in pressure or ??

Guest myjazzy

Jazzy always panted, but she also always ran hot and we lived in New Orleans and then in Houston. She may settle down after a while or that may be just the way she is, since she's such a busy girl.

ETA: So she already discovered the bed and has Mom wrapped around her little paw? :)

Edited by myjazzy

Guest PhillyPups
Robin Jack panted a lot all his life. I was always afraid I would never know the difference if he was in pain. I did because there was a slight pulling back of the lips with pain panting. Otherwise he was a panting machine :P

My beloved Stepper was the same way, GoD how I miss his panting at night when the house is quiet -

My Cinders - a big black girl - pants a lot, and I notice it especially on the bed at night. I just figure she's giving me a vibrating bed without my putting quarters in.. :lol

Lin, with Nick the Greyhound
Missing my girls Nadia, Tallulah, Cinderella, and my heart-dog Alexa, and my precious boys Twister, Loki, and Kevin

Thanks all. I feel a bit better knowing that she is not alone. She is definitely not stressed or hot- pain? I don't think so, but of course, I always worry!

She is otherwise the happiest dog I have ever met.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest AndyUK

Sarah pants a lot too - and we are quite worried. She has has all sorts of investigations - blood, xrays, scans, lung samples and even knocked her out to monitor her breathing in case it was laryngeal paralysis. They found nothing and put it down to stress or old age. We don't agree with either diagnosis - it can come on after a run around the garden when she is clearly not stressed.

We wonder if she has blocked sinuses and are taking her to the vet tomorrow.

she's beautiful!!!!! :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest kydie

My grey doesn't drink as much water as I thought he would, thunderstorms don't stress him, but I have a GSP that can let me know 2 hours before a storm, with the pacing and panting, he drinks more water than the grey.