Collar Irritating My Grey's Neck, She's Balding!

Guest MinisMom

I have read that the harness collars might lead to her getting away. Has this ever happened to you? I would like to try a harness, but afraid she'll get away... :blink: [quote name='turbodogs' post='4021217' date='May 27 2009, 07:01 AM'A soft lined collar or a harness - Wiggles, Wags and Whiskers of course, may be the option for her walks.

Liz

I didn't mean a harness collar - just using a harness. They usually get used to one quite quickly and the Wiggles, Wag and Whiskers harness were designed with the greyhound in mind. I haven't heard of one escaping yet.

I also am making collars - lined and unlined I just haven't 'showcased' them until I get a bit more stock done.''

Liz

Guest MinisMom

I don't think that is fair to accuse me of "slamming" anyone. The fact is that my order took over 2 months to clear it up, despite multiple emails back and forth, I assure you I wasn't being "difficult". After over 12 emails I did finally get on the phone with Alisha today and we cleared it up on the phone. She was the first to admit that moving was no excuse. I should be getting the collars by the end of the week. I am sure that 2hounds is wonderful now that the move is over.

Thanks to all who posted to help! I am a new grey owner and very cautious about her well being, something I think all of you understand.

I have to say I have been buying collars from 2Hounds for a VERY long time for all my hounds - never a problem with either the collars OR the transactions! Alisha is always very professional.

I have moved several times - and do understand that no matter how organized one thinks they are in packing, the unpacking can be insane.

I have found Alisha's collars to be stunningly stylish. I still have (and use) the first collars I ordered from Alisha (wish I still had the hounds I bought them for) and they hold up beautifully.

I think up until you arrived on the scene, I was probably her hardest, most difficult first time buyer. I gladly pass that title on to you. :lol. Alisha spent about 5 phone calls with me just deciding which colors would be best for my dogs, as I buy multiple (matching patterns) in different colors. I have never had a problem with my credit card information being in her hands.

I personally am apalled that your first post (and your second), you would slam one of the hardest working vendors that is an active member of the GT community, one who not only makes a wonderful product, but one who spends numerous hours of her time helping the hounds get homes!

Have you considered that it is possible that your hound may need to wear a harness to avoid problems with neck hair loss? Have you had a full vet check to see if the hair loss is caused by any medical condition?

Oh and welcome to GreyTalk :wave where we "play nice" most times :lol

Guest mcsweeneysmommy
Hello All

I am a new Grey mom (2 1/2 months). Mini is a 5 1/2 year old. When she came to us, the fur around her neck where her collar sits (on the underside) was a bit thin. In the last few weeks the area has become much worse...more balding and irritated. When we are not on a walk I put on a thin (1/2 inch) collar and transfer her tag to that.

I hate taking her for a walks with the martingale collar and irritating her neck more, but she needs her twice daily walkies. (I don't have another martingale collar until 2Hound Designs FINALLY figures out our order. It's taken 2 months...I wouldn't order from them if I was you).

My question is, can I use a harness-type collar or something else for walkies until this heals? Has anyone else experienced this with their houndies?

Any help would be greytly appreciated!

Both of my current greys have had similar issues with collars... we switched them both to the Premier Greyhoudn Harness for walks and in the house they wear a breakaway collar with their name and my phone number embroidered on it. Check this link http://www.greyhoundsonly.com/onlinestore/doggear.html it os for the greyhound harness which is infinately adjustable (5 way) both love it.

Guest mcsweeneysmommy

If you adjust the harness properly and it is the right size you should have no problem. My Trust (6yr old escape artist) tries but has not been able to escape the Premier Greyhound Harness (http://www.greyhoundsonly.com/onlinestore/doggear.html) we have used it for 3 years.

Good luck

I have read that the harness collars might lead to her getting away. Has this ever happened to you? I would like to try a harness, but afraid she'll get away... :blink:
(I don't have another martingale collar until 2Hound Designs FINALLY figures out our order. It's taken 2 months...I wouldn't order from them if I was you).

I'd just like to add my :2c worth. Alisha has been undergoing a huge transition the last couple of months, expanding and moving her business location, training staff etc. and I truly believe this is where the delay is coming from. Alisha does amazing work. I am one of her retailers.

A soft lined collar or a harness - Wiggles, Wags and Whiskers of course, may be the option for her walks.

Good Luck and I hope you find the product that best suits your needs.

Liz

What is OP?

Funny how the OP has two posts (both here) and has not been back since, so I guess the problem is not that bad :dunno

:shakefinger:shakefinger

Guest SoulsMom
They usually get used to one quite quickly and the Wiggles, Wag and Whiskers harness were designed with the greyhound in mind. I haven't heard of one escaping yet.

The WWW harness is like a martingale collar that tightens when you pull up on it. I've never heard of a hound slipping one either. It's been wonderful for Soul, who has teeny tiny head and could slip his collar if it's not tight enough. And when it IS tight enough it rubs off his fur.

You mentioned that her neck was red and irritated in addition to the hair loss. As a human who has many allergies, including nylon, perhaps your dog is having an allergic reaction to her collar. If getting a smooth lined collar for her doesn't clear things up, you might ask to have one made with 100 percent cotton or silk fabric with a 100 percent cotton padding. You still need to have the strong polypropalene or nylon webbing on the inside for safety, but covering it with a pure cotton batting might isolate the nylon enough.

Of course, chances are that the unlined collar is causing all of it. Good luck to you and enjoy your first greyhound (you'll find that you can't have just one).

Jane

Guest FullMetalFrank

Another thing that I always like to bring up when someone mentions hairloss on the dog's neck; many rabies tags and licenses are made of aluminum. Once the colored anodizing wears off, aluminum can cause an allergic reaction in some dogs (I know this because Frank had a bare spot on his neck when I got him, that was everywhere on his neck that the rabies tag could reach!) I took it off of his regular nylon collar and his hair grew back quickly; now he can wear any type of collar without issue. I do keep him in satin-lined martingales, though, just for his comfort.

• 3 months later...
Guest rachel2025

We got a very soft, handsome and reasonably priced martingale for Pike at Classic Hound:

http://www.classichound.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5316607

I love their fabrics! Of course, baldie can only where it when he goes out, because his tags have rubbed a huge bald spot under his neck.

I am also in the bald neck, bottom and butt and belly club, so I am glad to see this thread! Thank you for posting!

:)

I have used the silk lined ones, and just got a felt lined one, my boy has a slight bald spot under his neck, so I only use the collar on walks, and remove it as soon as I get home,

i have a cotton lined, velvet lined, soft smoorh fleece lined,deer skin lined martingales and they ALL rub the hair off of felix's neck. the only time he grew some hair on it was the 2weeks he wore a bite not collar lined w/ foam! he doesn't pull and just everything wears the hair away. i am thinking of putting a snood on under his collar...