Chloe Making Choking Sounds

Chloe has been making choking sounds- almost like she is clearing her throat of something. This has been going on for a few days and lasts a few minutes or happens for short spurts for a short time.

What could this be?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest LindsaySF

Allergies?

Is she just coughing, or doing like a goose honk? Does it happen at certain times (i.e. after drinking water, after exercise, etc) or whenever?

Guest Hollys2hounds

Robin...

All three of my dogs have been doing this too! Lexy maybe the most. (started about 3-4 days ago)

I truly believe it is seasonal allergy stuff/ all the pollen that is blowing around here. The other day it looked like a snow storm with all the petals/and pollen flying , and my car is covered in green dust constantly.

It seems to happen a few times a day to all my guys. Beside the cough, (sounds kind of dry and hacking.. like trying to clear their throat), nothing else seems to be bothering my guys. I know I am miserable with my allergies right now too!

I just rub their necks, and once in a while give them a little piece of moist bread, they seem to be fine after that.

Does it happen more than 2 or 3 times a day?

Edited by Hollys2hounds

i squirt a baby medicine dropper full of lemon juice down the throat and it breaks up the mucos which is causing the strange noises your are most likely hearing. it does not have to be done daily, just as needed. my vet owns stort nosed dogs and swears by it. it clears dogs up 1,2,3 and it is cheap. i use the bottled lemon juice, cheaper and easier.

Guest MyBoys

Allergies seem to be really bad right now, both of my boys have been doing a little coughing off and on along with Mom.

Guest pennmorgan

Standard over-the-counter Benadryl also works, at least for Olivia. One pill as needed--usually once a day is fine. I just tuck it into her pumpkin or peanut butter and wolfs it right down and it all better.

Allergies?

Is she just coughing, or doing like a goose honk? Does it happen at certain times (i.e. after drinking water, after exercise, etc) or whenever?

Sounds like clearing her throat/goose honkish. Not necessarily after anything in particular. She had been resting comfortably/dozing on a bed next to me and she did it maybe 2 or 3 times within a 5 minute period and then I haven't heard it all night and since then.

I will chalk it up to allergies unless of course it gets worse.

Thanks everyone. My heart stops when i think of anything wrong with my baby girl and she is still such a sweet young baby. :blush

Sweet, sweet Chloe

DSC_0054.jpg

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Robin, I know nothing about choking noises in dogs, though on occasion Beth coughs/gacks after running or eating, so take this for what it's worth, but just sharing a thought that crossed my mind: isn't Chloe with one with hypothyroidism? In people, thyroid issues can produce a feeling of fullness or pressure in the throat. So if it isn't just allergies as it sounds like it probably is, the thyroid might be something to check out, though I really have no idea if this applies to dogs.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest pasrikerwon

So glad I just found this post. Silas did the same thing today, stood up, made a coughing noise with a head bob for a few minutes and then went back to sleep... hope it is just allergies.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Are you sure it's not reverse sneezing? Check out this link and further down in it I posted a link to a video of what reverse sneezing can sound like....