Wounded Mast Cell Tumor

Guest EmilyAnne

Emily, I'm sorry you are going thru this with Riley. Just know we are all thinking of you and please let us know what your vet says today. Give him lots of hugs and treats for me. (and one for Henry as well) :grouphug

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest EmilyAnne

We are back from the vet. Diagnosis of the tumor being ruptured is official. My vet wholeheartedly agreed on discontinuing chemo.

I told her the signs that I watch for of pain are panting, and the bad leg shaking. She thought those were good signs to watch for. I told her that the current dose only seems to just be taking the edge off. We are doubling up his Tramadol dose. 2-50 mg pills, 2-3 times daily.

She noted that Riley was wagging his tail, singing, eager to greet people, and somewhat mobile, and so for now he seems ok, provided that he has pain control, but we need to watch for when he is ready to go. Not eating, not getting up, cant get pain under control, etc. are some signs we will be watching for. I'm gonna stay strong and enjoy my time I have left with him. I dont want to know when it is his time until the actual time. When it is decided, we will make appt. asap, that day. I do not want Riley to see me too devastated and feel a need to stay for me.

Good news- we got Henry's liver enzymes checked while we were there, (cause he is on the Phenobarbital) and I am happy to say his liver is doing great! :)

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Yay for Henry!

Thanks for the update, I was thinking of Riley just now and came online and here was your post! I am glad that your vet is supportive and was able to give you the signs to look for.

Kisses to Riley :beatheart

Guest Energy11
We are back from the vet. Diagnosis of the tumor being ruptured is official. My vet wholeheartedly agreed on discontinuing chemo.

I told her the signs that I watch for of pain are panting, and the bad leg shaking. She thought those were good signs to watch for. I told her that the current dose only seems to just be taking the edge off. We are doubling up his Tramadol dose. 2-50 mg pills, 2-3 times daily.

She noted that Riley was wagging his tail, singing, eager to greet people, and somewhat mobile, and so for now he seems ok, provided that he has pain control, but we need to watch for when he is ready to go. Not eating, not getting up, cant get pain under control, etc. are some signs we will be watching for. I'm gonna stay strong and enjoy my time I have left with him. I dont want to know when it is his time until the actual time. When it is decided, we will make appt. asap, that day. I do not want Riley to see me too devastated and feel a need to stay for me.

Good news- we got Henry's liver enzymes checked while we were there, (cause he is on the Phenobarbital) and I am happy to say his liver is doing great! :)

Yes, those ARE the signs to look for. Max, our Osteo boy, was hopping on one foot, the Friday before the Monday we sent him to The Bridge. He was eating VERY little, and on Science Diet Prescription AD, which is a marvelous food for sick dogs and cats! His meds were doubled, and he had "all the signs!" I am VERY glad the vet increased the Tramadol dosage. It REALLY DOES help! YOU and Riley will know ... when it is ... time! We love you!

Hang in there! Dee and The Five

Guest eaglflyt

I'm keeping Riley and all of your family in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad your vet agrees with you and that Riley's pain medication has been increased to keep him comfortable. Enjoy each day.

I'm thrilled Henry's liver enzymes were OK!

Shelly in OK

Guest Carla

Oh Emily Anne,

I am so sorry to hear about Riley.

Sending both of you tons of white healing energy and many prayers.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Just catching up on your story. :bighug :bighug

It's so sweet to see you giving him your best, giving him your heart, in the way you think he would most appreciate.

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.