Wounded Mast Cell Tumor

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Does anyone have experience with wounded mast cell tumors? It started with Riley bumping his tumor on the way in the house on a rainy day. Ever since then, Riley picks on it every opportunity. We keep him in a sweatshirt with one long sleeve. That has worked well. Yesterday I took him in for chemo, and told them to watch him with the tumor. Riley came out with the tumor more injured than ever. the size is stabilized, but the injury to it keeps looking worse and worse. The vet seems to just blow iot off like it will heal. Will it? I'm starting to get angry thinking I am being strung along and he really never will get better. I've been doing a pretty good job of keeping my emotions in check, but tonight I just feel really freaking angry. I dont think I'm necessarily angry at anyone in specific, just the whole frickin situation. I hate that my dog has cancer. I keep thinking, maybe if I hadn't over-vaccinated him for 12 years, maybe if I had given him bottled water his whole life, maybe if.... I just really wish Riley didnt have to go through this. :cry1 I want him to have a good quality of life back. Not the substandard quality he is in now.

Guest EmilyAnne

Picture taken just now...

100_2749.jpg

ETA: We will be seeing our regular vet on Monday. I am anxious to hear what she has to say. Meanwhile, I'd really appreciate if anypone could share any experience they have with this. The tumor itself is considered inoperable except by complete limb amputation. Maybe the vet can do something for the injury part though?

Edited by EmilyAnne

Does he have some heavy-duty pain meds on board?

Sometimes tumors like that will burst/ulcerate all on their own. Ulcerated or not, they hurt. Dogs will pick at things that hurt or even just feel weird or get in their way.

In your position, I would have a serious conversation with the vet about what are the possible outcomes are of treatment, on what likely timetable, and go from there. I personally would not be satisfied with just stopping further growth,.

Sending gentle scritchies to your boy and hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EmilyAnne

Batmom, he gets Tramadol, 50 mg, he is 58 lbs. I think it takes the edge off, but I know it isnt curing all the pain. Any suggestions on better pain control I could request?

Guest jerrybird

That looks a little worse than the last pics you posted doesn't it? I think that maybe its time to have a heart-to-heart talk with your vet re long term prognosis. Gentle scritches for Riley. And gentle hugs for you.

Guest VirginiaGreys

we were told to increase Dodge's pain meds to 3 every 6 hours......see if you can give him more for pain. I too would not be happy with a sore like that...but you don't seem to have a lot of options. Can you use a bite not collar...or will he still be able to get to the sore?

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys
Does he have some heavy-duty pain meds on board?

Sometimes tumors like that will burst/ulcerate all on their own. Ulcerated or not, they hurt. Dogs will pick at things that hurt or even just feel weird or get in their way.

In your position, I would have a serious conversation with the vet about what are the possible outcomes are of treatment, on what likely timetable, and go from there. I personally would not be satisfied with just stopping further growth,.

Sending gentle scritchies to your boy and hugs for yourself.

Gotta agree with each and everything Batmom has said.

It looks like the tumor has ruptured. Could be from bumping it or just the amount of pressure.

I, myself wouldn't go with a bite not collar, or lamp shade thing, I mean it really is just adding insult to injury at this point.

Personally, myself if this was one of my own dogs at this age, I would go supportive care. No more heroic efforts, keep comfy, spoil rotten and love the dickens out of them until I felt it was time.

We each have to do what we feel best and in no way am I picking on your or saying the things you are doing are wrong. So PLEASE don't take it that way.

It's hard to do "right" in such a situation

:grouphug :grouphug

That doesn't look good at all!! Since Riley is 14 I personally would talk to the vet about supportive care since amputation doesn't seem to be an option for you. I can't remember what grade Riley's tumor was, but if it was a Grade II or III I think I'd spoil him rotten and keep him comfortable until he let's you know he's had enough. Definitely talk to your vet about upping the pain meds no matter what treatment options you choose. Mast cell tumors are extremely painful especially after they've ruptured or ulcerated, which is what it looks like to me. Riley will keep licking and bothering it just because of the pain it's causing.

Sorry you and Riley are going thru this.

Edited by AngelWhispers

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Emily- Polli post amp was 55 pounds and took 100 mg of tramadol every 6 hours for pain. The idea of course is to stay ahead of the pain. See what the vet says and then just keep. Hugs to you and Riley.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest MAXNAV
Batmom, he gets Tramadol, 50 mg, he is 58 lbs. I think it takes the edge off, but I know it isnt curing all the pain. Any suggestions on better pain control I could request?

EmilyAnne, my collie was 12 and 80lbs and could take up to 100mg of Tramadol 2x a day for pain due to cancer, plus he was on Metacam as well. Maybe he can take more than the 50mg of Tramadol?

Guest Energy11

Max 12.5. and about 70 lbs, took Tramadol, 50 mg, three times a day, and Deramaxx, 35 mg, twice a day, for his Osteo. You could ask you vet about that type of combination, or whatever they recommend. Like with people in Hospice, keeping AHEAD of the pain is extremely important.

As for the tumor ... I haven't dealt with one, but could you maybe keep it covered with a LARGE bandaid, and gently wrap it, or would he just pull it off?

We send prayers and love your way, for sure! Dee and The Five :grouphug

Guest EmilyAnne

It's a grade 3 tumor. I had been feeling that it is time to pull him from the chemo program and just put him back on prednisone and do supportive care. After reading the replies here, I am even more convinced of my decision. Time to just do what I can to keep him immediately comfortable, and be ready for the day he is ready to join other bridge babies in heaven. I was hoping he could get past this. :brokenheart

Tuesday and Friday he has blood tests, and I will tell the oncologist of our plans. I don't regret trying the chemo route, cause I know I would have always wondered if he could have gone into remission. I didnt expect the tumor to rupture like this.

Greysandmoregreys, exzactly my stance on the bite not collar. The vet put one on him yesterday while Riley was in their care waiting for round of chemo. He was so glad when i took it off. The long sleeved sweatshirt is much kinder. I agee with your whole post and my heart tells me that is the way to go. I needed to hear someone say all that in order to nudge me to follow that.

I will call the vet and ask if I can increase his Tramadol dose. Sounds like his dose is definately too low.

He made it to my Birthday today, and I get to enjoy him for today. :beatheart

Guest Energy11
It's a grade 3 tumor. I had been feeling that it is time to pull him from the chemo program and just put him back on prednisone and do supportive care. After reading the replies here, I am even more convinced of my decision. Time to just do what I can to keep him immediately comfortable, and be ready for the day he is ready to join other bridge babies in heaven. I was hoping he could get past this. :brokenheart

Tuesday and Friday he has blood tests, and I will tell the oncologist of our plans. I don't regret trying the chemo route, cause I know I would have always wondered if he could have gone into remission. I didnt expect the tumor to rupture like this.

Greysandmoregreys, exzactly my stance on the bite not collar. The vet put one on him yesterday while Riley was in their care waiting for round of chemo. He was so glad when i took it off. The long sleeved sweatshirt is much kinder. I agee with your whole post and my heart tells me that is the way to go. I needed to hear someone say all that in order to nudge me to follow that.

I will call the vet and ask if I can increase his Tramadol dose. Sounds like his dose is definately too low.

To ME palliative care (supportive care to keep him comfortable) is FAR more imporatant at this time! ME? I don't believe in chemo/radiatioin, etc.... not worth it! By the time they diagnosed my now, late husband, Bob, with small bowel cancer, it was far far too late to do anything. The Oncologist suggested Chemo, and we said NO WAY! I took him home, kept him comfortable with the aid of Hospice, and he died in a come, BUT at home with us!

For your baby... I would do the same! Make sure pain management is adequate. STAY AHEAD of the pain, and take it day by day ... all you CAN do! Hugs and prayers from us here, for sure! DEE

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

THAT'S the spirit!! :thumbs-up Focus on the positives and keep your chin up best you can.

Never easy but these dogs live in the here and now and I like to look at it as,

Lets make the very best of TODAY, of the here and now.

Guest TexasGreytMom

He's absolutely gorgeous! What a sweet boy! Hugs to you and him ... enjoy your time together. {{{HUGS}}}

Guest eaglflyt

I'm praying for Riley, you and all your family. He's a very blessed doggie to have you as his human. Enjoy every minute and give him hugs and scritches from Oklahoma!

Shelly in OK

Happy Birthday! Riley is such a sweet love and I am sure he would do anything for you - especially since he probably knows how worried you are. I think you and he deserve some quality time together without worrying about Vet visits, chemo and whatnot. We will keep you tucked tightly in our prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest EmilyAnne
Happy Birthday! Riley is such a sweet love and I am sure he would do anything for - especially since he probably knows how worried you are. I think you and he deserve some quality time together without worrying about Vet visits, chemo and whatnot. We will keep you tucked tightly in our prayers.

He really would, nothing makes him happier than knowing he has pleased me. His last days will be spent knowing that he makes me very happy. I am going to be strong and take it day by day. I cannot cry all the time or Riley will pass on broken hearted. I will update on what the vet says tomorrow. This is not the oncolgist vet, but our regular family vet.

Guest TheUnrulyHound

I will be watching for the update tomorrow, he sounds like such a special boy :blush You have a big heart to think of the experience thru his eyes and know that he would want to see you happy. He knows he is loved very dearly.