Gonzo

RileysLegacy

Some of you might remember when I posted pics of my new friend and he greyhound. She had just adopted him straight off the track. He was the sweetest brindle boy and both Riley and I fell in love with him. We met every day at the park for about 2 months and then she went home for the summer.

I just got an email from her saying that Gonzo bit her little 2 year old niece so THEY PUT HIM TO SLEEP. I am so sad. I can't believe it. I know I wasn't there, but I feel like they did the wrong thing. They could have given him to any rescue and he could have been placed in a home with no children. She could have given him to me. I would have taken him if I knew the alternative. I really think that an experienced greyhound owner could have worked with him.

I am just so upset.

Guest cindysmom

That's just horrible. What were they thinking? I know a child's safety comes first always, but, yes, they could have just as easily re-homed poor Gonzo. I would have thought she would have known that through proper research before and during adoption. How sad.

Unfortunately, for some people that seems to be the only option for a biting dog. Never mind what might have prompted the bite.

I'm so sorry.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

I'm very sorry you are so upset over this and I understand why. Sometimes people make uneducated decisions that could have been best handles in alternate ways. I'm just sorry the poor dog had to die because of this. I know it's probably going to be hard to face these people and I wish you the best as far as handling it. :grouphug

tn_greyhound002.gif

Willow & Trace

Butch (11/94 - 7/16/08) Hayley (11/96 - 1/13/09) Merlin (11/12/95 - 5/29/09)

GPA - Central New Hampshire

I'm sorry to hear about Gonzo. Maybe he was needed at the Bridge for something special.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Jodie

That's so sad. Did you ask her why she didn't return him first or let her know that you would have taken him?

Situations like this can really irritate me. I just found out that a distant neighbor is going to get rid of there Bassett because it nipped at their little girl. Who knows if the little girl did something to the dog first.

Oh, for those of us who have tried so hard to save our beloved dogs (but lost them anyway) this is so hard to read.

I have two boys, but firstly I wouldn't have put a dog in the position where he would have to bite to make his statement about when he'd had enough (I know we don't know the circumstances...) and secondly would not put a dog to sleep on the first bite unless it was a major big deal and unprovoked.

You'd think they would at least have contacted the people they got him from, and yes, maybe homed him without kids.

:weep

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Okay, I got some more information about what happened. I guess there was more than just this once instance of him biting her niece. He got very possessive of her and mean when she brought him to her parent's home and had also attacked her parent's dachshund.

The vet where she had him neutered diagnosed him with fear aggression, which had been masked b/c she had lived with him alone in her apartment before this. This apparently is a very grey savvy vet and said he has had to do this to other greyhounds with fear aggression before.

Hearing this makes me feel like it is possible that this was the right thing to do. I have heard of fear aggression and that it can be untreatable. I am not any less sad that he died, but at least there was a valid reason for it.

...And it might NOT necessarily HAVE been fear aggression. Sometimes, when people don't want to deal with training a dog, it becomes "fear aggression". And sometimes it REALLY IS, but an adoption group of some kind should have been given the chance to find out (I understand that she got him from the track).

Irregardless, I'm sorry for your personal sorrow and feelings of loss. Hug Riley and know Gonzo is at the Bridge and he is happy.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

I'm so sorry.

I know you and Riley liked Gonzo, and it's sad he can't be here to play with you and get some hugs and treats and love anymore.

Who knows what the right thing to do was? A person might wonder, because greys do sometimes have less tolerance for toddlers and small energetic dogs ... but none of us was there. While he lived, he got to see the sunshine and play with good friends, and he left without suffering. Sometimes, I guess that has to be enough.

Hugs to you and Riley.

Blessings to you in your new home over the bridge, Gonzo.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LynnM

I know lots of people with dogs that are wired a bit funny, and with good environmental management, the dogs live long, healthy, lives. Most make a lot of progress, even if they are never what would be considered "trustworthy". We have one dog that comes to our clinic very frequently to board. His owner knows he is agressive and rather unpredictable with people. We know this at the clinic. When she has to go out of town or has guests, the dog comes to see us. We keep him away from people on walks, keep his environment calm and consistant, and at the same time we are very firm. This careful management on the part of his owner keeps both the dog and people safe.

Lynn

:(:(:( Godspeed Gonzo :(:(:(:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest mleg2001

I'm surprised that a vet would make that kind of determination without consulting a behavorist, a person trained in animal behaviour and pyschology needs to run several tests in responses to make a accurate determination. The incidences of biting of a 2 year old or attacking a dachshund due not indicate examples of fear aggression but dominance or in the case of the dog possible prey aggression.

Godspeed Gonzo. f_yellow

Guest tedsmom

how sad----so many of us lose hounds because of their health and it sounds like this one was lost because of behavior----i understand the "what ifs" as i am going thru it now with ted-----poor gonzo--i know he is with my ted and rosie and lovey and joe and suzy and millie and all the others who are at the bridge----

as weird as this sounds, at least he wasnt sick and hurting for a long time---but that doesnt make it any easier----no one will know now if his behavior was correctable or not, but i guess it doesnt matter----i have lost a hound due to an accident and not health, as i have lost a hound for no apparent reason and can feel the pain you are.

i spent a lot of time "unwiring" ted and getting rid of the baggage he came with and am sad gonzo never had the same opportunity. for this reason i am such an advocate of fostering---the dog's character can be assessed and he/she can be tested. i think you said gonzo came straight from the track so of course there was no way to know his bevaviors and issues---and many time when i thought i had ted figured out he would do something off the wall and we would go back to step one. i wish for gonzo other options had been explored.

run with the wind gonzo and the rest of the fur babies and rest in the arms of the angels sweet boy