Torn Pad; Cut Dangling Layer Off?

Guest NeedSleep

Guest NeedSleep

Emmit torn the top layer of one of his pads relaly bad today. It's attached on one side, but I can't imagine it healing back down. It's like a flap the size of his pad, attached down one side.

So do I need to cut that flap off?

poor guy is in a lot of pain.

If it's hanging by a teeny tiny thread, then yeah, put muzzle on dog, take deep breath, and snip it off. If it's attached by more than teeny tiny thread, clean the surfaces well with something like Nolvasan or betadine solution (not hydrogen peroxide), rinse with running water, put back together, and bandage. Pads are weird in that sometimes the danglies *do* heal back quite nicely.

You'll want to keep an eye on it that it doesn't get infected -- feet are dirty places. Wouldn't hurt for the vet to have a looky if yours has weekend hours. Not an emergency.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

PERSONALLY, I would NOT cut the skin of the pad off. I would do the following, and I HAVE dealt with this at some of the GH events where I was the first aid contact.

FIRST, clean with antibacterial soap and water. IF you have any antibacterial ointment, apply it, and put TODDLER SOCKS on her foot ... booties over top of that, if you have them. THAT SHOULD HOLD you till Monday. Then, you can see the vet, or ask him/her for KEFLEX, which will also prevent infection. Do you have any Rimadyl or Deramaxx??? If so, give 1/2 of either with food, OR you CAN give (1) COATED 81 MG LOW DOSE aspirin... again, with food.

THIS IS NOT a major emergency, but painful and ugly, just the same! Hope this helps! With Greys, ALWAYS KEEP TODDLER SOCKS AND TAPE IN THE HOUSE ... BOOTIES, TOO! Dee

Guest SoulsMom

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, Soul sliced his stop pad and a good portion was just dangling there. I sprayed it with bactine and wrapped it up. I used a gauze pad and vet wrap. The next day every few hours I would unwrap it to air it out, then wrap it back up. It started to graft back on, but then came apart again. I just kept it clean (a spray of bactine after being outside) and it eventually fell off on it's own. Normally I would worry about infection, but Soul was already on antibiotics at the time.

Personally, I wouldn't give any pain medication without speaking with the vet first. Soul's didn't seem too painful, he was more bothered by having to have his leg wrapped up. He'd limp when it was wrapped but then walk perfectly normal once I took it off :rolleyes:

felix ripped his stop pad in half and refused to wear a bandage on it. his hock was already dressed due to a deep cut. so, he cleaned it and performed surgery removing the hanging portion. it is now smaller than the other stop pad, but it healed in no time. the object is to keep it clean, i use saline solution- either saline nose spray or eye prep for contacts- and to stop the bleeding. a cut pad usually takes 1-2 weeks. the stop pads faster since there is no pressure on them. paw pads i keep bandaged and just irrigate. antiobiotic ointments stops the healing.

Guest lizmego

Power sliced his pad a couple of Summers ago when there was a drought and I guess a blade of grass got his pad like a razor blade. No bleeding, just sliced off the tougher part of the pad. I didn't do anything with the pad, and it healed on its own. Good luck!

Guest FordRacingRon

Somone help with this,,,Leia did that a year or so ago and the vet just used some type of glue to put it back on (It was haning, but not by a thread). It healed perfectly. SO WHAT TYPE OF GLUE DID HE USE and can the OP buy this?