Too High Of A Soloxine Dosage

I also have another sighthound, an afghan, that was on a high dosage of Soloxine .6 mg, male, wt 73 lbs. Since consulting with Dr. Dodds the dosage has been cut in half one week ago. In two weeks I will take him in again for another T4 test and it will be sent to Dr. Dodds for interpretation. Last month he was diagnosed with a slight heart murmur (did ultrasound with a cardiologist). Holistic vet said it may have caused an irregular heart beat but did not know if it caused a heart murmur. Any thoughts? This is one of the reasons I switched vets. Wish I had consulted with Dr. Dodds when the western vet suggested .6 mg.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

You probably already know this but email Jean, you know she'll get back to you right away no matter where she is.

I have never heard of it causing a murmur

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Chloe weighs 70 pounds and is on .5 mg 2x a day. It doesn't seem like a high dose. I have never heard of it causing a murmer, but wait to see what the doc says.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

It can cause high heart rate or irregular rate. But too low a dose -- that is, if dog is still hypothyroid even if medicated -- can also cause an irregular rate. Arrgh, eh? Hope you can get to the bottom of things.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Carl weighs about 72 - 75lbs and is on a .7mg dose each day. I give him half a .7 tab in the morning when we get up, then the other half tab an hour before dinner. This was per Jean Dodds. Was your dog on .6mg 2 times a day? That would seem like a lot to me.

Like Claudia said, I'd send her an email and ask.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

When thyroid meds have been too high, my heart was racing.

Too low and I feel like I have a fat butterfly in my throat and I am confused and sluggish.

Red was on a high dose (.8) for quite awhile because he was hypothyroid with all the symptoms. He had never been treated by his other family. After he leveled out, we cut it back a little at a time.

You don't say what the levels tested at on the high dosage.

Vinnie had a slight murmur because he did. He lived a long and normal life with his murmur, and only one vet ever heard it out of the four vets he saw.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

You probably already know this but email Jean, you know she'll get back to you right away no matter where she is.

I have never heard of it causing a murmur

Jean normally gets back to me the same day and I did email her two days ago asking the same question. Have not heard back from her yet. I am glad you have not heard of it causing a murmur.

Chloe weighs 70 pounds and is on .5 mg 2x a day. It doesn't seem like a high dose. I have never heard of it causing a murmer, but wait to see what the doc says.

Do you mind sending me a PM with your email address. I would like to share with you an email I got from Dr. Dodds about a week ago which made me think the .6 mg. was too high. Thanks.

Carl weighs about 72 - 75lbs and is on a .7mg dose each day. I give him half a .7 tab in the morning when we get up, then the other half tab an hour before dinner. This was per Jean Dodds. Was your dog on .6mg 2 times a day? That would seem like a lot to me.

Like Claudia said, I'd send her an email and ask.

Yes he was on it twice a day .6 mg in a.m. and p.m.

Guest Greytluv

Three of my dogs are on .3 2x a day. I've never heard of a Greyhound being on such a high dose of Soloxine .7 or .6 :dunno All my dogs are from Hemopet.

I don't know anything about the murmur :dunno

The dosage is based on how low the thyroid readings are and their weight.

My girls (all in the 60 # range) are on .6 mg Soloxine. Now that their thyroid readings are stabilized they have been cut back to .6 once per day. Soloxine stays in the system for 24 hours.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Thanks for all the imput. I heard back from Dr. Dodds today and she said a high dosage can cause an irregular heart beat. As someone mentioned in their reply I forgot to give you the result of his last T4. It was 3.3.

Can heart murmurs be reversible? I sure hope so!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest BarneysMom

Barney (about 83 lbs) is on 0.8 mg Soloxine twice a day. He was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism in February though. How long do you usually wait before retesting? Is there a good way of feeling a grey's heartbeat yourself?

Patty

Barney (about 83 lbs) is on 0.8 mg Soloxine twice a day. He was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism in February though. How long do you usually wait before retesting? Is there a good way of feeling a grey's heartbeat yourself?

Patty

The holistic vet suggested waiting one month before retesting.

Yes, .8 twice a day for Red, too, until he began to test high. Then we lowered it.

3.3 and what is the range? Lab ranges vary.

Reference range: 1.0 - 4.7 ug/dl

What is euthyroid sick? I will have to google that............

Edited by brandimom

Euthyroid sick is when the pup tests as hypothyroid when he doesn't have true thyroidal illness but rather a low thyroid reading due to some other illness. Lots of things -- tick disease, injury, infection, plain old stress -- can cause a low thyroid reading when the dog isn't hypothyroid and doesn't need supplementation. A comprehensive thyroid profile can usually detect the difference.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Euthyroid sick is when the pup tests as hypothyroid when he doesn't have true thyroidal illness but rather a low thyroid reading due to some other illness. Lots of things -- tick disease, injury, infection, plain old stress -- can cause a low thyroid reading when the dog isn't hypothyroid and doesn't need supplementation. A comprehensive thyroid profile can usually detect the difference.

This is what happened with Misty. She tested low and it was more than likely due to the Cushings. We'll retest in 6 months but we're almost sure this is what happened.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Whole paragraph about "sick euthyroid" here: http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/Sections/E...d_Canine.php#08