Double Dose Of Soloxine - A Problem?

Guest chucknstan

Guest chucknstan

I gave my grey his medication tonight (soloxine - a thyroid med) without knowing that my husband already did so. Do you think this is a problem?

Hmmm. Depending on the dosage he might be hyper for a while. He also might have trouble sleeping tonight, but should be back to normal tomorrow.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Not a problem at all. My vet and I discussed this last week (Soloxine dosages).

Excess Soloxine ends up in the back yard. :P

There are less than 20% of dogs who have a reaction to overdosing of Soloxine and that occurs over a long period of use unless there are special health issues. My vet explained that it takes about 2 weeks after starting Soloxine to get the thyroid in the proper range. A Soloxine dose will last about 24 hours, which is why Virbac recommends an ongoing maintenance dose.

From their website:

Contraindications:

Levothyroxine sodium therapy is contraindicated in thyrotoxicosis, acute myocardial infarction and uncorrected adrenal insufficiency. Use in pregnant bitches has not been evaluated.

Precautions:

The effects of levothyroxine sodium therapy are slow in being manifested. Overdosage of any thyroid drug may produce the signs and symptoms of thyrotoxicosis including, but not limited to:

polydipsia, polyuria, polyphagia, reduced heat tolerance and hyperactivity or personality change. Administer with caution to animals with clinically significant heart disease, hypertension or other

complications for which a sharply increased metabolic rate might prove hazardous.

Adverse Reactions:

There are no particular adverse reactions associated with levothyroxine sodium therapy at the recommended dosage levels. Overdosage will result in the signs of thyrotoxicosis listed above under

precautions.

Dosage:

The initial recommended dose is 0.1 mg/10 lb (4.5 kg) body weight twice daily. Dosage is then adjusted by monitoring the thyroid blood levels of the dog every four weeks until an adequate

maintenance dose is established. The usual maintenance dose is 0.1 mg/10 lb. (4.5 kg) once daily.

Administration:

Soloxine tablets may be administered orally or placed in the food.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

No you are not the first person to do. I admit we have done it and no problem.

According to the protocol per Dr. Jean Dodds "it should be given away from food - specifically at least one hour before or three hours after each meal. This is because thyroxine binds to calcium and soy in foods".

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

It takes quite a bit of consecutive overdosing to make a difference, at least in people. It slowly builds up in your system. In people if the thyroid is totally removed they start on a much higher than normal dose and taper down. No problem with one extra pill.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg