Broken Toe?

I'm almost positive that's what it is, but the vet turned me away with pain meds, antibiotics and a "wait and see" diagnosis. It wasn't my regular vet, and I was kicking myself when I got home for not pushing for the x-rays now.

What do you think? Could it be just a strain/sprain with that much swelling? The vet was worried that it was an abcess (hence why we got the clavamox). The one toe is big, and he also has a lot of swelling up at the "top" joint of the toe.

CIMG2083.jpg

CIMG2084.jpg

I'm giving it until tomorrow morning and if he's still hobbling, I'm bringing him back in. My regular vet will be in tomorrow.

(and this would be his second busted toe :rolleyes: )

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Don't know if that's what a broken toe looks like, but there's something going on there.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I don't know what a broken toe looks like, but to me that looks red and sore, like an infection maybe...I mean, it looks like just the pad/underneath part of the toe is swollen and pushing it over towards the other one, maybe

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

It's hard to say without x-rays - could be broken, could be dislocated, could be an infection.

Did the vet really look at the bottom of his foot carefully? I ask because my guys have gotten sticks, sharp rocks, pine cone spines, and once even a finishing nail stuck way up in their feet that were really hard to see, and that could have caused an infection.

I would tend toward broken or dislocated though given the abnormal position of his nail/first knuckle.

Definitely take him back in, particularly if there's no improvement with the antibiotics.

Hugs for your boy!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I agree - without x-rays, it's a crap shoot.

The vet didn't closely look, but I gave it a good once over before bringing him in. Didn't see anything, no punctures or anything like that apparent.

I think what worries me the most is the swelling up the foot - it seems to be spreading and getting worse.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest zoolaine

That is a huge toe! When Zali broke her toe it really didn't swell very much if at all. It was tender and she didn't want to put weight on it but it wasn't swollen like that. I would definitely see your regular vet tomorrow if things aren't better.

That is EXACTLY what Lucy's toe looked like. Guess what, broken. I'll find you her pics tonight when I get home, but she was on pain meds for about 5 days, did the kangaroo hop for 2 weeks and then started putting weight on it. The toe is still fat amonth later, but at her re-check the vet manipulated gently and it is healing. The joint is still fat, but it is the calcified bone. I can take some current pics for you tonight too.

Poor pupper. Lucy screamed and kicked like a bucking bronco when she did it, and then went completely limp and refused to move for about 6 hours. I know she is a drama queen, but I know it hurt!

Well, I'm glad someone's seen this before because it's a lot more swelling then he had with his first broken toe!

I swear, each time I look at it, it looks bigger. :(

CIMG2093.jpg

She let's me handle it, but isn't thrilled.

random018.jpg

random016.jpg

I hope that helps. Give your guy some extra lovin from me, I know his toe hurts.

Soaking Lucy's seemed to help, she did like ice on it for short amounts of time when she first did it and I would wrap it loosely with vet wrap while she was hobbling in the yard for the first week. I would take it off if I knew she was in as it seemed like her toe would just get fatter, but she liked it on during the day for the first week. I left it unwrapped at night, and the wrapping was mostly for protection.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

In that second photo it looks like the nail is pointing at a strange angle. Is that correct?

If so then it sure is either dislocated or broken.

Guest trevdog

I haven't seen one that has been red and irritated. I'm dealing with one now, it's swollen and she doesn't put weight on it. But no redness. We've been through 3 broken toes here. Well actually 2 broken and either this one is a really bad sprain or a hairline fracture....xray couldn't really see anything.

Wow, Fritofeet, that's exactly what it looks like!

Well, x-rays yesterday show no break, no dislocation. :blink:

So we're doing a course of antibiotics, icing, and metacam and see what happens. Yesterday he looked like he had one St. Bernard's paw, it had swelled up so much. Today is better, he's back to looking like the first picture I posted.

Wow, Fritofeet, that's exactly what it looks like!

Well, x-rays yesterday show no break, no dislocation. :blink:

So we're doing a course of antibiotics, icing, and metacam and see what happens. Yesterday he looked like he had one St. Bernard's paw, it had swelled up so much. Today is better, he's back to looking like the first picture I posted.

Lucy did that too, the first week was terrible with the swelling. One minute I would think it was getting better and then I'd check her and it would be a flipper! After the first week, it stayed pretty much the same size, and now she just seems to have a fat joint, but no tissue swelling. That toe is always been crooked, so I don't know if it had anything to do with it or not...

I hope your boy's toe heals quickly.

Guest FrostyBottoms

Ouchie! That looks like it hurts! I can't believe it isn't broken! It looked just like Lucy's, wow!

I hope it gets better soon.