I Need Happy Tail Solution

Guest rippasmom

Guest rippasmom

Oswald split his tail open on 3/7 and after wrapping it with everything I could think of(including using a syringe and lots of duct tape) we went to the vet on 3/17. The vet showed me a great wrap technique which worked for 10 days. More bleeding, back to the vet and got silver nitrate sticks.He shook the wrap off and bleeding harder than ever, I went to the next technique, using a hair roller with more duct tape. This afternoon, he shook that off and left a puddle of blood in the driveway. Off to the vet again, where we discovered the original wound is laying down granulation tissue but he has 2 new skin tears. Glued everything and taped a syringe barrel on. I'm seriously considering keeping him on Tramadol so he's sedated and maybe won't wag so much! If anyone has any ideas, please tell me. He's my sweet boy, but if I have to clean up much more blood, I may lose my mind!

Thanks and sorry this is so long.

Kim

Same situation with Wayne until they ended up amputating his tail.

With as friendly and happy as this boy is, it would have just continued to happen and he would have been miserable.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Need to wrap higher. Elastikon -- sticky tan tape -- up the tail 6"-8" from the injury. You'll need bandage scissors to get it off. Keep the padding over the injury light in weight. And keep him from messing with it.

Keep it wrapped at least lightly for at least 3 weeks after it basically heals and the scab falls off.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He's shaking off the covering, not chewing it--right?

If so, tie gauze around the syringe barrel, then tie a loose loop around his leg. Leave him room to swing his tail six inches or so, but not so much he can spin it like a propeller.

Keep an eye on him, of course. Make sure he's not chewing in the gauze or scraping his leg raw with the gauze. There's no guarantee this will work, but it might.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Is he re-opening the wound when crated? If so, go for muzzling and "free range" of the home.

As with Batmom's suggestion- run the bandage up higher. Worst case: do the entire tail until the wound is stabilized. Inspect regularly to reduce risk of infection.

Not tried personally: The 3M brand "blood stopper" sprays, with octyl methacrylate. It'll at least stop the wound from seeping.

Also not tried, but recommended by some: Tape the tail to the leg until it starts to heal.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

great advice above. all I know is I spent 1 1/2 yrs trying to get Psi's tail to heal. Ended up having to amputate 7" off. He has never missed it. Good luck

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest Greytluv

Yep, amputation. It's the best thing I ever did. Danger is soooo much happier with no tail and our house doesn't look like a crime scene

Lizzie's 6" tail doesn't bother her a bit and she always wins the "shortest tail" contest!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest speedoketo

I'm so sorry, happy tail is awful. I've seen dogs wag the bandage right off even if it was taped all the way up to their leg. I've also heard of dogs getting careful treatment for months to save the tail when one uninhibited wag session would ruin all the hard work and require amputation. I gotta agree, amputation is probably the best way to go. Maybe everyone with a dog whose tail was amputated should send in a picture! Then we can see how cute and non-traumatized they are by what seems like a very scary surgery!

Another thing to try is the foam tube stuff that plumbers put around pipes. It is light weight and very padded. I use vet wrap, but make sure it is wrapped up as far as you can on the tail.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Lizzie's 6" tail doesn't bother her a bit and she always wins the "shortest tail" contest!!!

Oh Lizzie, Wayne's got ya beat, his is only 4 1/2" and he still wags it like crazy

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Che_mar_Cody
Another thing to try is the foam tube stuff that plumbers put around pipes. It is light weight and very padded. I use vet wrap, but make sure it is wrapped up as far as you can on the tail.

Ok now this would be a site to see :lol :lol :lol

Guest RocketDog

There's a foster in my group that has had happy-tail problems since she came in. I think she's wearing a 12" length of what looks almost like a section of those hollow foam pool-floaties, wrapped up onto her tail with duct tape. It's held for a few weeks now, I think, and she's got a WICKED tail - long and whippy.

Oh bummer. My Indy lost half his tail after it got clipped in the door about 4" from the end. Vet sutured, bandaged, and tried to save it for about 10 days. Thankfully, Indy never messed with the dressing or even acknowledged its existence!

Pre- and post-amputation, I used Glad Press'n Seal as necessary to wrap around the bandage to keep it clean and dry. What a greyt product. I've covered many a bandage and boo-boo with Press'n Seal. Perhaps it might be of some help?? Hugs to Oswald. :dogcookie

try a paper towel roll with vet wrap or a pool float that's hollow. both work well. happy tail is hard to fix and it takes an extremely long time. when you think it's healed, it's not. amputation may need to be considered but I wouldn't jump on it unless it simply won't heal or there is an indication of infection. Some dogs just won't leave their tail alone. good luck!

oxy clean spray does wonders to get rid of the blood. it's hydrogen peroxide.

Edited by mike

the curlers worked for me (eventually). I just wanted to add, Magic Eraser works great at cleaning up the blood spatter on the walls, cabinets, doors, and ceiling! I hope if CSI ever comes to my house, they can tell dog blood from human :blink:

Guest KennelMom

Harmony seemed much happier after her tail amp. Hers was healed for a year. One day she whacked it in a sweet spot and we just couldn't get it to heal again after that. Amputated it and never had another problem. I think if there is a LOT of scar tissue at the end of the tail, amputation is something to consider. Once a tail has scarred over lots of times, the scar tissue is often just not as hardy as real, healthy skin.

Guest rippasmom

Thanks for all the input. Bandage from yesterday is still on. Yea! I bought a roll of elasticon at the vet's for bandage change. Oswald is a bit of a spook and has lots of scars from racing days. I want to save the tail if possible, but I may end up having some taken off. He is lethal with his tail. Before acupuncture to help with stenosis there was no problem, but with no back pain he wags like a madman! Keep all fingers and paws crossed we can heal this thing.

Thanks, Kim

Elasticon is a wonder tape!!! Toni wagged her bandages off about every 3 days - which actually worked out well since I wanted to change them that often! I finally got Toni's tail to heal up with a syringe tube, elasticon around the tube and up the tail 6-8", and then vet wrap the whole thing up even higher (with bandage changes every three days). Her tail is now almost totally healed and is beginning to fill out and look normal again.

Good luck.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I shall keep this one filed away for future reference, (hope I'll never need it), but in the meantime, I sure hope Oswald's happy tail heals quickly now that the ultimate wrap combination has been achieved! Wow! Fort Knox should be so protected! :lol

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest taylorsmom

I also did the full tail wrap, and kept it up for about a month until Rita's healed up. I used vet wrap all the way up to the base of the tail, then used elastikon at the base of the tail to adhere it. I would be careful about elastikon on the full length of the tail because you will be ripping fur out and maybe even skin with it when you remove it!! I also used a pink sponge curler at the end, and used neon pink vet wrap over that all the way up (she has a very long whippy tail!)--she was a sight to see!! I also smeared bitter lime gel over the entire thing to keep her from chewing it--that worked like a charm! That was over two years ago and she has been fine ever since, we haven't had to amputate. But I do think that what others have said is very true--if there is a lot of scar tissue, it will continue to be a problematic area that will split open much more easily each time it is whacked. I still wince every time her tail makes loud contact with the wall or something, but so far we have been very lucky!

Also, the liquid bandage stuff (made for dogs--I can't remember the name!!) worked really well, too.

Guest mogreys

I've had good success with using EMT gel on happy tails, along with the bandage route that you are taking. Haven't had to amputate one yet.