Canyon Is Home!

Guest Annie

Guest KyGrey

I am so glad to hear how well he is doing. He looks nice and comfortable in the pics. I'm sure he's glad to be home too. May each day bring more and more comfort to him and a speediness to his recovery.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor baby. He has been on my mind and in my prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest FullMetalFrank

His face is so precious; I am so glad he came thru the surgery well and is home resting now! Canyon, be a good boy and keep quiet 'til you're all healed, OK?

He looks great! I'd watch him as that starts to heal (and get itchy) that he doesn't try to scratch his neck with his hind foot.

So glad he got to come home, he seems much more comfortable there!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Annie
Looks like he well on the road to complete recovery! :bighug

Just curious, why did they go in from the front?

The following info has been copied and pasted from:

Canine Intervertebral Disk Disease

Prepared for

The Dachshund Club of America, Inc.

by

Patricia J. Luttgen, DVM, MS

Diplomate, American College of

Veterinary Internal Medicine,

Specialty of Neurology

Denver, Colorado

Copyright 1993

VENTRAL SLOT:

Ventral spondylectomy or slot where a ventral approach is made by displacing the trachea, esophagus and neurovascular trunks to the side to reach the vertebral bodies. Because most of the herniated disk material will be found on the floor of the spinal canal, the ventral slot procedure is far superior to dorsal laminectomy to reach and retrieve that material. If material has herniated up the sides of the cord, the ventral slot affords good exposure to retrieve it as well. However, the ventral slot procedure can not be safely extended over multiple disk sites in a row.

DISC FENESTRATION:

Fenestration is the surgical procedure that creates an opening through the ventral (cervical area or lateral (thoracolumbar area) disk annulus fibrosus through which nucleus pulposus can be removed, hopefully preventing disk herniation at the site in the future. Proponents of disk fenestration point out that, even if most chondrodystrophic dogs will only herniate one or perhaps no additional disks in their lifetime, they are frequently plagued with chronic pain from degenerating disks. It has been repeatedly shown that preventative fenestration in these dogs is of great value in relieving that discomfort, even if no herniation has actually occurred. In dogs undergoing thoracolumbar hemilaminectomy or cervical ventral spondylectomy, access to the disks does not require any additional surgical exposure. If done carefully and atraumatically, fenestration can prevent future disk herniation, additional surgery, and future pain.

For the complete version CLICK HERE

Canyon is doing fairly well, but I must admit, I'm a little concerned. We have cut back his pain meds a bit, as we were advised to do, and I just heard him cry out as he moved his head while lying down. :cry1

This is not a good sign... he should not be having substantial disc pain any longer. Surgical site discomfort, yes... but not disc pain that makes him cry out. :(:(:(

Dr. Sharp has said all along that he wasn't 100% sure that the extreme pain Canyon was in, was caused by the small tear in his disc. We used all diagnostic tests available to search for another cause (Xrays, MRI, Spinal Tap and CT Scan) and found nothing other than that tear.

I pray that this was just a one time thing and that he will continue to heal and feel better! :hope:hope:hope

Did he just have the surgery Wednesday? With your vet's OK, I'd probably keep him on full dose of pain meds/anti-inflammatories for a good week, then start scaling back. Keeping fingers crossed for your sweet handsome boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BoogieDown

Canyon, I'm glad you're home, buddy. Get well soon, and be a good listener. We are sending out good thoughts to you and your family.

Guest Annie

After Canyon cried out yesterday, we increased his meds again and he is doing much better... not another cry out of him! :colgate Well, just one when I came into the room after being out for a while (he was with his granny) and he started to spin and jump to greet me! WHOOPS Bunny, not a good idea. :rolleyes:

He is resting very comfortably this morning. Look at this gorgeous, sweet face! :wub:

Canyon_post_surgery_day_4_750.jpg

The incision site looks great... no swelling and very little bruising! We are on day 4 post op and I am very pleased. :colgate Geoff slept in the livingroom with him last night (we are taking turns) and said he didn't seem interested in urinating this AM, so I'll have to keep an eye on that. (It's one of the complications that might arise from spinal surgery). For the past 3 days he has been relieving himself normally, so I'm not TOO concerned.

Thank you all for your continuing prayers and well wishes for our beloved boy!!! :grouphug

Edited by Annie

Great update!! And that boy sure does have a beautiful face :beatheart:beatheart

And I hope you have told him that he has a huge fan club watching his progress

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Annie
Great update!! And that boy sure does have a beautiful face :beatheart:beatheart

I have, Claudia! :lol Oh, and he says he'd love to meet you someday too. Geoff and I plan on travelling with the pups down the pacific coastline to California and Mexico sometime, so it could very well happen! We were scheduled to go to Kanab this year (are you going?), but the veterinary expences (over $7000) might prohibit that now. Oh well... we have Canyon getting healthier now and that's all that matters!!! :colgate

speaking from a "human" perspective...I had cervical surgery this year. They went through the front as they did with Canyon..I can tell you the recovery pain is TOUGH! They cut muscle, move things around..etc..So, I am not surprised he still needs pain meds. Give him time. I am glad he came through the surgery so well! he is beautiful!

Guest Annie
speaking from a "human" perspective...I had cervical surgery this year. They went through the front as they did with Canyon..I can tell you the recovery pain is TOUGH! They cut muscle, move things around..etc..So, I am not surprised he still needs pain meds. Give him time. I am glad he came through the surgery so well! he is beautiful!

Oh my, Donna! That does sound terribly painful! I'm very grateful to hear from someone who's been through it! Thank you!

I have, Claudia! :lol Oh, and he says he'd love to meet you someday too. Geoff and I plan on travelling with the pups down the pacific coastline to California and Mexico sometime, so it could very well happen! We were scheduled to go to Kanab this year (are you going?), but the veterinary expences (over $7000) might prohibit that now. Oh well... we have Canyon getting healthier now and that's all that matters!!! :colgate

I don't go to the events, but should you come even near California, please do let me know. I would LOVE to get the chance to meet this boy

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I can only add that a man I work with had that surgery, too, and it was a real "pain-in-the-neck" to put it mildly! He's been banged up more than a few times in motorcycle accidents and he said that the surgery was by far the worst pain he has been in - ever.

I have to type messages to Canyon in secret because "the girls" get all silly when I mention his name! He's such a lady killer! :wub:

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead