Don't Know What This Is

Our dogs sleep in our bed, usually. Male Sobe and Female Diana. It's a tossup where they'll sleep, or if one or the other will sleep on the dogbeds in the room or in the bed. The other day, there was a wet spot at the foot of our bed in the morning. I'm not sure which dog was there during the night. I smelled it (not to be gross) and it really didn't smell like anything. I washed all the bedding.

Then a couple days later, DD noticed that the pile of dog blankets in the livingroom had a big wet spot. Again, I smelled it, and it "might" have smelled like pee, or maybe just smelled like a dog blanket. Washed it.

I'm not sure what this might be - if anything? The dogs have been very restless lately - wanting to go outside at lot. When one wants to go out, the other does too. Even at night, which happens occasionally, but lately they've wanted outside a lot in the night. We have a fenced yard, so they can go outside any time they go to the door.

Over the last few year - if we've have an accident in the house - it's right by the door. It's quite rare, but it happens, and obviously means that a dog wanted OUT and we weren't home, or weren't available to open that door. They've NEVER EVER an accident on a bed!

Sobe is 8 years old, and Diana is 5..... young dogs.

I don't know which dog it is - or even if I should worry at this point. It just seems....very odd. And, there haven't been any spots in the last couple days. But they're still wanting to go outside a lot. I attributed it to the nice warm weather, but now I'm just not sure.

It could be a bit of leakage/incontinence from a sleeping dog. My girl had that trouble once--it was the only visible symptom of a UTI.

You can take urine samples from both dogs to the vet for analysis...or just keep an eye on who's sleeping where and check the bed or blanket when the dogs get up, then take that dog's sample to the vet.

But do your dogs drool in their sleep? And is this too much liquid to be drool? My guys often drool in their sleep--or even just lick the pillow or bed in their sleep. I often find wet spots when the dogs wake up--but the spots are under the dogs' heads...and I can catch them both licking in their sleep.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It could be a bit of leakage/incontinence from a sleeping dog. My girl had that trouble once--it was the only visible symptom of a UTI.

You can take urine samples from both dogs to the vet for analysis...or just keep an eye on who's sleeping where and check the bed or blanket when the dogs get up, then take that dog's sample to the vet.

But do your dogs drool in their sleep? And is this too much liquid to be drool? My guys often drool in their sleep--or even just lick the pillow or bed in their sleep. I often find wet spots when the dogs wake up--but the spots are under the dogs' heads...and I can catch them both licking in their sleep.

Yes, BOTH dogs do drool...sometimes a LOT in their sleep. That was the first thing I thought of with the first wet spot on the bed. (When DH worked a different job, Sobe would take his "spot" in the bed when DH got up in the morning, up on the pillows, and there would be a HUGE drool blob on the pillows in the morning.) And Diana DOES lick her feet sometimes, or lick, or actually suck on blankets while she's sleeping. So - I just don't know.

If you are thinking it is someone having an accident, just put a belly band on the male and very shortly you should be able to either know it is the female or not.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Greensleeves

It's tough. I have no advice, but wanted to say we've had similar things happen here, too. Once or twice when the kids were really young, we came home to *huge* puddles in their crates--absolutely clear, smelled like nothing. It seemed like too much to be drool, but...?

(I will say that for quite a while we suspected that someone was peeing beneath the kitchen table, as we'd frequently find puddles under there. And then one day I was sitting there as Baloo--aka Mr. Sloppy Drinker--walked around the kitchen table to get to the water dish, then walked under the table to go back to the living room... drooling all the way! Mystery solved. :lol)

Guest SoulsMom

How big and how wet? Both Archie and Soul sometimes like to lick whatever they are laying on. Sometimes Soul will leave a saucer sized damp spot.

that's how we realized Rainey had urinary incontinence....kept finding wet spots, then finally a BIG one on our bed during the night :o

we had her checked for a UTI (negative) and then she was put on DES (I think 10 mg?) that she now gets every 5 days (I use my Outlook calendar to remind me :)). Not a bit of trouble since. She does have to get her blood checked a few times a year because she's on it, but knock on wood no side effects (we've had enough other issues with her lately :rolleyes:)

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest MAXNAV

Navigator will lick his bed constantly, leaving wet spots everywhere. When I had my collie though, I found a rather small wet spot on his bed one morning, which smelled like pee. (He was not a licker and never had accidents.) Well, the next night while sleeping, he wet his entire bed. He would have gotten me up to go out, so I knew he wet while he was sleeping. Off to the vet we went, and he had a UTI. He was put on meds, and was cleared up quickly.

Wayne will usually leave a big wet spot, he loves to lick material. But if you have any suspicions that it's urine, just to be safe I would get the first catch in the am and have the vet do a UA just to rule out a UTI

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest StriderDog
How big and how wet? Both Archie and Soul sometimes like to lick whatever they are laying on. Sometimes Soul will leave a saucer sized damp spot.

Strider likes to suck on his feet and leaves a big wet lick-spot. :nod

I like the belly band suggestion - at least you can narrow it down to which dog it is. Urinalysis seems to be step 2, urine culture as step 3 and blood work as step 4.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Well....now there's been nothing. I was more than ready to consult a vet.....but now there's been nothing. So - I'm going to assume that it was giant licking or drooling spots, and I just got overly concerned from finding 2 so closely spaced. Thanks again GT! (and thanks also for not making me feel silly for asking a potentially silly question!)