Daddy's Girl Isis

...and too soon for me.

You may remember me posting the first of the year that my 13 year old Isis came up lame on one of her back legs. The E-vet took x-rays and saw nothing..Figured a pulled muscle and it should get better..It seemed to have been getting better since she started putting weight on it and walking on it some. Well last week it went lame again and Saturday started swelling up. I made an appointment with my regular vet Tuesday and took the first set of x-rays for him to look at. He say some light shadowing on her thigh bone and we took another x-ray. There was a mass about the size of a golf ball on her upper leg bone. It looks as though it has grown through the bone and fractured it.

His best guess right now until blood work gets back is, yep the Big C..However it could also be a parasitic mass from possible Valley Fever but he isn't too sure since the lameness was sudden onset and not gradual over time. The blood panel will check liver, kidney function and will test for Valley Fever. The vet said he never thought he would wish Valley Fever on a dog, but that is the lesser of 2 evils and can be treated.

I knew when I adopted Isis 10 years ago that one day I would have to make the decision. The years fly by so fast. At almost 14, if it turns out to be bone cancer, it's doubtful she would survive much longer even with chemo and amputation.

So I have made one of the toughest decisions I have ever had to make.

Even though my heart wants to keep her with me as long as possible, I know I cannot. I would much rather have her cross the bridge before she is in a lot of pain. And I know one day she will be curling up with me again, resting her head on my shoulder and giving me the big sigh of content in my ear.

I will update on her condition when I hear back from the vet.

Greg and the Girls

Edited by greg1229

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Vinnie
:weep :weep Greg, we are so sorry. Isis always makes me smile and I look forward to her pictures and stories. It's never long enough, but you can't help but wish for more time. Hugs to you and your girls. Will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Oh, I'm so sorry! I know how much your girls mean to you.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I am so very sorry. It is never long enough. I have always enjoyed reading your posts and seeing pictures of your beautiful girls. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:goodluck and :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Greg, I am so very sorry. I too know what your girls mean to you and what I am sure you mean to them.

Please give her a very gentle hug from those of us in the other desert. You both are in our prayers.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Sending my prayers and white light and the most gentle hugs for the pretty lady. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

No matter how long they stay, they never stay long enough. Keeping good thoughts for a positive diagnosis.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Keeping you in my thoughts. Having just lost Nevada almost a year ago, I know how tough it is to let these precious seniors go. They are a part of you. Hoping for good news....

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart