How To Stimulate The Appetite?

I haven't been giving it to him, mostly due to the fact that I cannot open his mouth AND give him the pill...and my DH leaves pretty early for work. I'm lucky to get the other pills into him. I am going to train my DD to help me so I can get him back on the pepcid.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

It can be a big help -- hope you and DH can work something out!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Success! I got my daughter (12 years old) to help me get the pepcid into him! She is more than willing to help, fortunately.

I also talked to the vet tech, and she agreed that tramadol can upset the stomach--she said she took it for awhile and it upset her stomach....she's going to talk to the doc once he's out of surgery about whether or not to stop it all at once or gradually.

I just hope the old guy will eat dinner shortly...I have some nice shredded chicken, and I baked him some peanut butter cookies today. He also got a very short walk, which he really enjoyed!

Edited: he ate. Then went outside and threw up. :( One step forward, two steps backward. #@&!!

Edited by rascalsmom

We are going to try eliminating the tramadol. The vet says to give it once a day instead of twice a day for a couple of days, then to stop it completely.

I did cook him a pound of ground beef last night, and he ate it and kept it down! :yay And this morning I only gave him the gabapentin, not the tramadol (we'll give that tonight, and only two instead of three)....so hopefully his tummy will be feeling better and he'll eat.

Fingers crossed that it's just the tramadol bugging him. I know how awful it is to see them get a good meal in and then chuck it all back up.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.