Deramaxx Vs. Metacam

5 members have voted

1. 1. Deramaxx

• Metacam

OK, I screwed up my first poll. I can't edit it either.

Here goes....

We have always been a fan of deramaxx after learning some negative things about Rimydal (they both have their risks). Unfortunately, we have had a lot of experience with deramaxx. We have been lucky as it has not been a tummy upsetter.

But now I am wondering if Metacam might be a better way to go for pain managment for Polli.

Between the 2 of these drugs which one do you prefer and why?

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest houndlover

I have had VERY good luck with Metacam. I get the generic, meloxicam, at Walmart on their $4 program. My vet called in the script for me several months ago and I just had to call to have it refilled. The rx actually cost me $6 b/c it was for more than a 30 day supply. Casey was on Rimadyl (he has arthritis in his spine) and he was still having some pain problems and wasn't walking right. We switched him to the meloxicam and I have seen such a huge improvement in him. He still has to have his bloodwork checked every 6 months but so far none of his bloodwork has come back out of whack. He does have some tummy upset on it though.

We also use Metacam short term for fosters after a difficult spay or neuter and I have always been happy with the way it has worked. I do not have any experience with Dermaxx though.

I hope this info helps and I hope that Polli is feeling better soon. I have been keeping up on the threads about her and Beau and my heart really goes out to you. Good luck. :goodluck

We have no experience with Deramaxx.

Our first grey was on Metacam for about two months. He had started to limp, and vet thought it was arthritis, but we later found out it was actually cancer. It worked extremely well for him - he was like a new dog!

Good luck with whichever you choose.

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

Meloxicam

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I like Metacam. We have only used it for short term use (a week or so at a time) and it worked well. I would use it longer if necessary. I like the liquid form too. About four years ago I tried Deramaxx and it made my boy weak in the hind legs and gave him the big D. Nice to know about the generic form.

If she gets along with Deramaxx you might be best advised to stick with it. Meloxicam is just another NSAID and a very similar drug -- doesn't offer any different risk of side effects or efficacy in statistical terms. Comes down to which drug works best for which dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MAXNAV

Metacam (never tried Meloxicam) over deramaxx. It seemed to be easier on the stomach. The only problem we had, was finding a wet food stinky enough to hide the smell of the liquid Metacam my guys were prescribed.

OMG .... check out this link! http://www.metacam.us Too cool!

We went from Metacam to meloxicam because Cullen hated the smell of Metacam. (He didn't do gymastics anyway. LOL) The bonus was that meloxicam is a $4 generic. Metacam is pricey.

Marcia

Metacam by far..it seems to give Missy much better relief than the others we tried. Switching to the generic version (Meloxicam) with a prescription at Walmart was an added plus: Missy gets 1/2 of a 7.5 mg tablet. costs $4 for the month and last two.

Guest Grhndad

We use the Metacam here. The liquid is so easy to give and the hounds take it readily. It gives us better results than did Deramax. I keep it on hand all of the time.

Is meloxicam over-the-counter? It it is, I am KNOT going to be very happy...

I paid almost $50 for a bottle of Metacam @ the vet.

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

I have used Metacam for some of my greys, but my current two boys who have arthritis can't stomach it. :lol

I have them on Previcox, which my vet likes much better than Rimadyl.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.