Scotchguarding Safe For Dog Beds?

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

Does anyone know if Scotchguarding is considered safe for dog beds? I'm considering buying new beds, but after reading that they are Scotchguard treated, I'm having second thoughts. Anyone know? My guys all lick their beds...

Guest EmilyAnne

Scotchguard has teflon, which I have heard is carcinogenic, as in it causes cancer. I won't even put it on my carpet, and I certainly wouldnt want to put it on my dogs beds.

Guest SusanP

We do not have it on our carpet for that very reason, or our own furniture. I wonder if the company can make the dog beds without it or whether they'd tell the truth if they claim to have left it off for me?

Guest EmilyAnne
We do not have it on our carpet for that very reason, or our own furniture. I wonder if the company can make the dog beds without it or whether they'd tell the truth if they claim to have left it off for me?

I'm wondering if you washed it in reallyhot water 20 times, would the teflon be gone? I think it would.

Guest trevdog

I think the formula has been changed due to the carcinogens...or at least that's what I heard a few years ago. I don't think I would put it on a dog bed though. But we do spray it on the car mats and such.

They sell really awesome dog beds on eBay through NGAP. Best, most comfy bed for the $$ IMHO. I have two, one for the dog, one for the cats! No worries about Scotchguard, and part of the profit goes to help hounds! Why even mess around with Scotchguard?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

There's an entire Scotchgard Pet Care line, but the Web site doesn't list ingredients. (I filled out the 3m Web site survey and told them their info was inadequate and their site answered none of my questions.)

I can see the advantages of Scotchgard if you're dealing with a pet that is ill or incontinent. But the best bet might be a bed with a washable cover. Pull out the padding, put the padding inside an oversized trash bag, then stuff that back inside the cover. The trash bag will protect the padding if the dog has an accident, and you can just wash the cover.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest SusanP

It's the Mammoth dog beds that are on sale now that a GTer posted about that I was interested in...until I saw they are Scotchguarded. They sound great, otherwise. :unsure

I e-mailed customer service at Scotchgard and they assured me that once the product has dried, it is safe for pets,

even if they lick the fabric and, with that info, I ordered a new Mammoth bed for Sherri. I usually throw a nice

soft fleece blanket over her beds anyway and once a week, just wash the blankets.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest EmilyAnne
I e-mailed customer service at Scotchgard and they assured me that once the product has dried, it is safe for pets,

even if they lick the fabric and, with that info, I ordered a new Mammoth bed for Sherri. I usually throw a nice

soft fleece blanket over her beds anyway and once a week, just wash the blankets.

Safe according to their opinion, which is debatable. They probably just mean your pet isn't likely to get immediately ill and need to go to emegency vet or something.

We have mammouth beds. Still ordering from them.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest SusanP

I got a reply from the Mammoth people. They can make the bed in a "natural canvas" upon request, same price, no scotchguarding! :banana