Strange Bump On Leg - Picture Attached

Guest MrSaleen

Guest MrSaleen

This is a bump that has popped up on Katie's leg about a week ago. It appeared the day after we got her last week. Any ideas what it might be? I have seen a lot of posts about zits so thats what I am hoping for.

IMG_2493.jpg

I can't really tell (and I'm not qualified in any way!) but it looks like it *might* be a histiocytoma. Whatever it is though, I'd certainly get it looked at by a vet after the weekend.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

It's difficult to tell from a photo, but the appearance is similair to a histiocytoma. I would your vet look at it right away to make a definitive diagnosis. Please let us know what you find out. Hoping along with others that it something benign. :)

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest ChasesMum

zits are small, that is big. could be a cyst but its worth getting it looked at (as already suggested). probably you are supposed to have a well-dog visit anyways as a new adoptee so just get her in and likely all will be well!

FYI histiocytoma's are benign tumors, so don't freak out! :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histiocytoma_(dog)

Edited by ChasesMum

Guest MrSaleen

Thanks for the responses. We were planning to get her to the vet anyway since the adoption group wants you to have them seen within 2 weeks. (Wellness checkup!)We are now just waiting for all of her paperwork so we know where she is on her shots, get her rabies tag, etc etc.

Edited by MrSaleen

Guest greyvettech

Looks like a histiocytoma! A benign growth..usually happens in younger dogs, but not always...sometimes they go away, sometimes they need to be surgically removed because they can keep growing...... To be safe, let the vet check it out...Good luck..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MrSaleen

Just a quick update. It turned out being some sort of an absess/growth. The vet did a cortsone injection, antibiotic injection, as well as oral antibiotics.

It is healing up well. The 2nd follow visit will be this coming Friday. It has healed so well there may be nothing left to remove and have biopsied. Fingers are crossed!

Just a quick update. It turned out being some sort of an absess/growth. The vet did a cortsone injection, antibiotic injection, as well as oral antibiotics.

It is healing up well. The 2nd follow visit will be this coming Friday. It has healed so well there may be nothing left to remove and have biopsied. Fingers are crossed!

That sounds very encouraging! I'll cross my fingers too -- that there's nothing left to biopsy.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown