Newbie Introduction

Guest jnmarz30

Guest jnmarz30

I'm glad to have found this place!

I'm Jaimie and my husband, Nick, and I adopted our first greyhound, Angus (we call him Gus) a week ago. We love him to bits. Before Gus, we had a wonderful pit bull terrier who we adopted as a puppy; we had her for 10 years and lost her in December to cancer. We'd always talked about adopting a greyhound and we only made it about a month after Rosie died before we couldn't stand not having a dog around!

We have two kids, a 5-year-old daughter (Isabel) and an 18-month-old son (Aidan), as well as a big, fat cat (Boo). Oh, and a hamster (Tracy Turnblad), who is never out of her cage, but my daughter likes me to remember her. We're a busy, loud house, but Gus has taken it all in stride and is fitting in well! We're having some crating issues, so I'm looking forward to reading the great information in the forums here and learning from all of you.

Our new addition!

DSC00920.jpg

Welcome!

As far as crating issues, can you be more specific? If it's an issue of Gus not wanting to be in the crate you can start by feeding him in his crate and inticing him with treats when he goes in his crate. Just put his breakfast/dinner in the crate give him praise when he goes in and then leave him to his food. What ever you do don't force him in the crate he will associate it as a bad place.

Good luck!

Praying for all the missing greys!

Guest jnmarz30

Thank you!

Lilysmom, what is boils down to is that he hates his crate. He was in his foster home for several months and hated the crate there, too, apparently. I work from home and homeschool our kids, so it's not too often that Gus needs to be in his crate for us. But he's young - only 2 - and still has some puppyish behaviors that can get him into trouble when we're not around. He also seems to have some separation anxiety, though his foster mom said he didn't and it seems to be easing up, so that may just be part of the confusion of transitioning to our house.

We've tried giving him treats in the crate and saving his favorite bone for crate time, but he still hates it. He howls and tries to get out, pawing at the door and shaking it with his mouth. He injured his mouth doing that the other day; we were gradually increasing the amount of time we'd leave, to try to get him more used to it - when we got back, Gus had cut his mouth and bled everywhere, and his foot pads were raw from pawing at the door. It looked like a crime scene in there. (He's fine now.) Yesterday we had to go out for a very short time (about 20 minutes) and instead of putting Gus in his crate, we muzzled him and put him in the kitchen, which is blocked off with a baby gate. We made sure the counters were clear and put his bed in with him. He seemed to do better with that - no howling or barking, nothing cut or bleeding - but I'm getting a lot of advice that says we really need to be crating him. I'm not sure of the best thing to do - keep trying to force the crate, or keep him in the kitchen. There's more potential for trouble in the kitchen, I know, but we're afraid he's actually going to hurt himself in the crate. We never crated our last dog at all, so this is new to us.

Welcome from Gainesville, FL!

Gus is so handsome!!

Our Robin flips out if he's put in a crate. He just doesn't like them. When we first got him, he did much better being baby gated until he learned the ropes in our home. Since then, I've left him and our other GH, Toby, uncrated and with free run of the house when we're gone.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest TBSFlame

Some dogs just don't do well with crates and some love their crates. If baygates work then I would use the babygate. My Beecher would not even go into a small bathroom he was so afraid of small spaces. Memmie loves her crate. It depends on the dog. Gus is a handsome fellow. Congratulations on your new hound.

Oh, and welcome from North Carolina.

Guest koolaidnconner

I would stick with the baby gates. If he does not like it your only creating more stress on him. If the baby gates work and you come home to no blood I would continue with that.

He is beautiful and welcome to the GT family!! :welcome2

Hi from Miami and from one Gus to another..

Gustopher P, Miss Isabella and Miss Skye

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest crazy4greys

Welcome!! :wave Gus is a handsome guy! :wub:

If he is not happy in his crate and doing well with the babygate and muzzle, then continue doing that. Not all greys like to be crated. My first boy, Phoenix did not.

Guest jnmarz30

Thank you for the continued introductions! So many beautiful hounds here. :)

I'm glad to hear so many of you say that you've had non-crated greyhounds. We're going to go out for a little while this evening and babygate Gus in the kitchen with his muzzle on. If it goes well again, that's probably what we'll stick with for the time being. We'll hang onto the crate and pull it back out if the kitchen ends up not working out.