Torn Acl

Guest maryvillesmom

Guest maryvillesmom

We have hard wood floors. She slipped once one the floor and limped a few days but got better and even got back to playing. Well, it must not have been well enough. She got excited when she heard me pull up. My son said she slipped comming around the kitchen cabinets and he said he had to lift her up. She could not do it herself. SHe does not lift her leg but just enough to keep it off the ground. No weight on it, does not use it for support when going potty. The vet thinks ACL. My mom spent 2100.oo for her cocker.

Maryville was on rymadyl for a bone spur (front ankle) but now is on deramaxx. This has been about 10 days. She is only hurts when getting up and some laying down. It just hurts me to see her hobble. What would you do?... the surgery (customary) for ACL or the surgery for ACL using fishing line..? do a google for Dr. Donald Caslow. Thanks for any info...

It was about five years ago, but I spent substantially less ($8-900) for Lucky's ACL repair. It was fully blown out. Now-a-days, the repair can be done before it is fully torn. I would ask around different surgeons to see what kind of price range and type of surgery they use.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I've had 2 dogs tear their ACL

One a GSD and the other a racer.

Willow my GSD slipped on the tile floor and it was obvious something was very wrong. Had the traditional surgery done about a day after the slip and she walked out on all 4's after the surgery. Healed amazingly well and you would have never known she tore the ACL. Cost was about $500

The grey was a racer but I believe there was a bit more going on as when they went in to do the surgery there was an infection in the bone. Again surgery was done a day or so after it happened and it took this boy much longer to recoup. But he did finally start using the leg again. Same vet did the surgery and that one cost around $700 or so.

Guest maryvillesmom

Thanks for all the input. There are not a lot of vets in the area but I have called 2. One, hers, said 400.oo for the fishing line and another across town was around 800.oo. I have tried to cover areas of the floor that she is on. The floors are 'patched' with rugs and runners. She even stops and thinks before moving a step or two if she has to put one foot on hard wood. I hope it does not turn into a phobia..I have always kept her nails trimmed, even thought of those 'soft claws' but I think the tips would wear off after a potty run or two. Again, Thanks.

My last dog tore his ACL. He was not a grey, but he was in the same size/weight range. His surgery cost $2,500. He had a TPLO. (Tibeal plateau leveling ostemy? They cut the tibia bone, rotate the joint, and use metal plates to hold it at a new angle, eliminating the ACL completely.) I was told, by the board certified ortho vet, that "traditional" ACL surgery is seldom used on large dogs because it doesn't usually hold.

He got a bone infection from the surgery, and that required a SECOND surgery to remove the metal plate and screws they put in, drain his joint of infection, etc. That surgery cost about $2,300. Then there was about $750 worth of antibiotics. And let's not forget he had to be confined to an x-pen for the better part of six month over the course of a 12 month period. It was a NIGHTMARE.

In the end, he was OK, but I would get a second opinion using that technique (fishing line as you referred to it) on a large dog. Perhaps the thinking has changed in the time since Kramer's leg was operated on? I hope so. I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone, hound or human.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Ouch! I hope you can get to see someone knowledgeable on this and get some good advice. I've only ever seen the 'fishing line' op done, although in the cases I saw it was small dogs and using a graft of the dog's own tissue instead of monofilament nylon, but I could well believe that wouldn't hold up for a large dog. Those joints take a lot of pounding.

You might want to consider using one of the non-slip floor treatments instead of throw rugs since she's damaged herself this much. As Diane said, you don't want to ruin the surgery - or risk her damaging her other leg - slipping in the same way again.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop