Henry Got Accidental Double Dose Of Pheno

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Yes, I already called the vet. At first she said he'll just be really tired. Then, I asked about using peroxide to induce vomiting. She said I could go ahead and do that. 1 TBSP every 15 minutes, if does not vomit by third time, to bring him in. Well, before she was saying he'll just be sleepy, now it's bring him in if he doesnt puke it up. I did two peroxide treatments. He did not puke, he did shiver and lick his lips a lot. The shivering made me too nervous of impending Grand-mal, (he always shivers before Grand-Mal) so I am leaving it and watching him mega close all day. He is laying on his bed half asleep with kitty curled up to him. I am trying very hard not to rip my husband's head off for this. I told him to feed the dogs, and he took the liberty of medicating Henry, though normally I do the medicating 90% of the time. It was a mistake, not intentional. Trying to remind myself of this. Though I'm still angry. Prayers and good thoughts for Henry would be much appreciated.

He should be just fine. Probably a little sleepy for a while and maybe a little stumbly until the medication wears off. I've accidentally done it to Saint before with no ill effects.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest EmbersDad

i think he will be fine. when i was a kid, my mom used to dose me with phenobarbitol coz i was overactive. it just put me to sleep. im hoping it does the same for my pal henry. give him some headphones and hook up the ipod :-)

but seriously, i hope my buddy is ok and just sleeps it off.

Guest EmilyAnne

I called the vet again. She said to occasionally gently wake him and make sure he is not unconscious. And to only give half dose of Phenobarbital tonight, and then tomorrow back to normal.

He should be just fine. Probably a little sleepy for a while and maybe a little stumbly until the medication wears off. I've accidentally done it to Saint before with no ill effects.

Oh phew! I was hoping someone was going to come on saying they had done the same things and everything turned out ok!

i think he will be fine. when i was a kid, my mom used to dose me with phenobarbitol coz i was overactive. it just put me to sleep. im hoping it does the same for my pal henry. give him some headphones and hook up the ipod :-)

but seriously, i hope my buddy is ok and just sleeps it off.

You must have been a handful! :eek:lol

Please keep us posted. We'll be thinking of you.

P.S. My DH gave one of the skin kids some medication one night when I went out, because DS told him he hadn't taken it. (I had already given DS the meds before I went out so there wouldn't be a mix-up.)

hoping he's okay!!! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

That was a pretty rowdy blink of the eye EmilyAnne :lol:wub:

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Greensleeves

Whistler used to react badly to sedatives, and our vet would have us get him up and walk him around the cul-de-sac every half hour to hour when he'd, um, "OD."

Glad Henry's doing fine!

Guest EmilyAnne
how is henry, out of his fog? does he think he just came home from a grateful dead concert :loldead-show.gif

:rofl

He was really silly at about 8 pm last night, as if to wonder what the heck happened. He was all spunky, but clumsy at the same time. He went to jump on the twin sized bed, and tumbled right into the wall, stood there confused for a sec, :huh and then stood on the bed looking all proud of himself. :gh_bow:lol

Just catching up on this thread today. Medicine mix-ups - it has happened to all of us, especially when you have dogs on a regular schedule of medication. Glad to hear Henry is feeling better. Give him a Valentine's hug for me! :wub:

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest EmbersDad
how is henry, out of his fog? does he think he just came home from a grateful dead concert :loldead-show.gif

:rofl

He was really silly at about 8 pm last night, as if to wonder what the heck happened. He was all spunky, but clumsy at the same time. He went to jump on the twin sized bed, and tumbled right into the wall, stood there confused for a sec, :huh and then stood on the bed looking all proud of himself. :gh_bow:lol

yup...hes fine....:rofl

but for shame...no pics of this? :lol

Guest shanozdog

My Whippet has been on pheno for almost 7 years. I have double dosed him a few times, no problem. The vet told me they can get a pretty high dose without ill effects.

Glad to hear Henry is ok.