Coach Is Not Having A Good Day

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

:(

I came home today after speaking with the vet to give Coach 2 tramadols. He told me that I could give her up to 3 tablets 3 times and day and suggested I go ahead and give 2 tablets 3 times a day. She is not doing well with that leg this evening, dragging it a little and stumbling a little on her back legs. She hasn't gone outside since this morning which is really unusual for her. There was a little poop on her crate pad and she has since pooped a little on the floor. She is scared to go down the steps to the yard. I don't know how to get her outside! I don't think I can lift her without hurting her and possibly falling down the steps in the process. I don't know what to do with her. I may go ahead and give her another tramadol. The vet said I should see improvement by in the morning, but I just don't know if I will make it that long. My nerves are shot and I feel helpless.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

:grouphug

What ever you do don't force her to do anything and also don't try to do something that will get you or her or both of you hurt.

If it was me, yup I would dose her up. No offense but honestly what can it hurt?

How many steps down to the yard? And which leg?

I find it easier to help a dog *down* the steps if I crouch on the steps next to the dog; one arm in front of chest (if you're clever, the hand on that arm can hold on to collar or harness, too), and one arm underneath dog; ease on down one step at a time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Ok - Just hit her with another tramadol and her daily deramaxx.

I told her I didn't care if she peed on the floor, but I'm not sure if she'll do that or not. I figure she is busting! Wish I could rent a wheelchair ramp but everything is closed here now. (We have the smallish car ramp and she refused to go anywhere near that thing earlier so I haven't even gotten it out. I figure she'll hurt herself worse trying to get away from it.

There are four steps and then down on the cement. Right now she won't come near the door. And the last few times she did, she just flew down and got her back legs all tangled. She did fairly decent this morning when she went out, but won't go near the door now.

Front left leg is the one that is bothering her.

Sending my many prayers. Will a sling made from a sheet or towel help? We had to do that with Angel Sophia. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

When Phantom didn't want to come up the ramp, I put a towel under his rib cage and helped him. It worked and it didn't seem to hurt him.

Editted to add, kind of like a sling and I'd pull up on it while he walked, it took some of his weight off his legs.

Edited by Anne

Guest TaraCoachCougar

I'll try the sling, but when I tried it this morning, she wasn't interested in moving when I wrapped it around her. I just called the vet and he stepped into a room with a patient, but will call me back and may have me come pick up a patch we talked about today. She is back to virtually dragging her leg when she tries to walk. She has laid down and appears to be resting comfortably most of the evening, but the few times she has gotten up, she's dragged that leg more and more. I feel so helpless. :weep

Guest TaraCoachCougar

I just went in my bathroom to change clothes and Coach came in there. I told her that I was so sorry that she was hurting. I also told her I didn't care if she peed or pooped on the floor. She went in to the bedroom and peed. I feel bad because she has never peed in the house, but I am relieved that she finally peed. I through paper towels down but told her it was ok. She is a good girl.

Guest SoulsMom

I know how you feel there. When Soul was in such bad shape after being hospitalized he was so tired and worn out. I slept downstairs with him that night. About 11pm he got up and went into the dining room and just peed and peed. I don't think he was even awake. I just told him that's ok, you just get some rest.

So sorry you are both going through this. My prayers are with you both.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest vahoundlover

I am so sorry you and Coach are going through this :grouphug

How many steps down to the yard? And which leg?

I find it easier to help a dog *down* the steps if I crouch on the steps next to the dog; one arm in front of chest (if you're clever, the hand on that arm can hold on to collar or harness, too), and one arm underneath dog; ease on down one step at a time.

We got Boss down the stairs for 2 yrs like this.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Vet called about 20 minutes ago. He really thinks it may take until the morning before we see improvement from the upped Tramadol dosage. I gave her 1 1/2 tablets at 6am. 2 tablets at 3pm and another 1 tablet at 5:45pm. So he said to go ahead with another 2 around 9-9:30.

He wants me to check in at 7:30 in the morning. If she hasn't shown progress then he wants to do the patch. Not sure how I'm going get her out if she doesn't show progress. I might could try another set of stairs but they both have more steps and aren't carpeted, but she may not associate them with the fear she currently has of being hurt on the short set that goes to the yard.

She just pooped twice in my bedroom which I'm totally ok with. I'd rather clean up a couple of rugs than have her hold it in.

As for me, I am much calmer. I think a lot of it has to do with pooping and peeing and I did speak with my vet who thinks it might take some time and reassured me that eating and normal breathing means she is still tolerating the pain fairly well. When she's laying down you wouldn't anything is wrong. She just needs to be able to use that leg again.

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers. Please keep them coming. I'm hoping against hope we've got major improvement in the morning.

Guest 4baddogs

Tara, this breaks my heart. :(

I see Coach and she reminds me of what Zoe looked like when she lost so much weight in November.

I keep saying prayers for her, and you too.

~Paula

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Thanks. Just finished up the other half of supper and had 2 more tramadols. Still draggy foot. Special prayers will be prayed tonight.

I'm headed to bed without supper. No appetite for me, but thank you God for giving my Coachie girl one.