Garry Ripped Open His Leg

Something happened this morning when he and Missy ran out to the back..while wiping his feet I saw blood. He has many abrasions on his right rear foot and leg..but one large deep wound with skin hanging. I cleaned him up and took him into the vet..thinking he would definately need antibiotics.

The vet considered stitching it..but since he is a good boy and doesn't lick his wounds he decided to treat it conservitly for a few days and see how he does.

He gave me baytril (wow::$98!) Triple antiobiotic cream and Nolvasan wash. He is resting comfortably now.

My question: when I washed it and put the antiobiotic cream on, I laid the skin back the way it should be (it was hanging). Is that OK??

And secondly, would EMT Gel be a good idea to put on after the antibiotic cream?

Thanks, hoping he looks better in a few days..so he wont have to be stitched.

Thanks

I'm surprised that the vet didn't want to stitch it back if it was hanging off? But a picture would definately help us to understand what it is. I would say if it is just a small flap then it is ok to lay it closed.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Please keep in mind, this is obviously just my opinion, but I would not use EMT gel

Hoping he feel better and heals well

Thank you..I haven't used it..just following the vets directions. but so many people here have said how good it is, I bought a tube to have just in case!

Please keep in mind, this is obviously just my opinion, but I would not use EMT gel

Thank you..I haven't used it..just following the vets directions. but so many people here have said how good it is, I bought a tube to have just in case!

It's great stuff, no doubt about it. I just don't think it would be right for this situation.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest ibeakila
Something happened this morning when he and Missy ran out to the back..while wiping his feet I saw blood. He has many abrasions on his right rear foot and leg..but one large deep wound with skin hanging. I cleaned him up and took him into the vet..thinking he would definately need antibiotics.

The vet considered stitching it..but since he is a good boy and doesn't lick his wounds he decided to treat it conservitly for a few days and see how he does.

He gave me baytril (wow::$98!) Triple antiobiotic cream and Nolvasan wash. He is resting comfortably now.

My question: when I washed it and put the antiobiotic cream on, I laid the skin back the way it should be (it was hanging). Is that OK??

And secondly, would EMT Gel be a good idea to put on after the antibiotic cream?

Thanks, hoping he looks better in a few days..so he wont have to be stitched.

Thanks

I would leave it dry and not let him lick or touch it anyway, that happened to mine, she had to wear a cone the whole time and not lick it

I would leave it dry ant let him lick it or touch it anyway, that happened to mine, she had to wear a cone the whole time and not lick it

It's great stuff, no doubt about it. I just don't think it would be right for this situation.

Hi donna.

I agree with Claudia- no emt gel for this. I have it just in case but I haven't used it as of yet.

Hope Garry heals quickly.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

one more question please..I put a boot on when he went outside..but I think it aggravated it as it was bleeding again. I washed him up, applied antibiotic cream and put a cotton sock on it. That is ok, right? I assume air can still get to it..the sock is loose as well. tape secures the sock to his leg above the wound. He is uncomfortable. a call to the vet..I can give him Missy's meloxicam to help with pain and inflamation. I forgot to ask about the sock when I called..but I figured someone here would know! Thanks

I would think a sock is okay as long as you remove it when it gets wet. Poor guy.Any chance you have a velcro strip to hold the sock on vs tape?

I hope he has a comfortable night. I'm sure the Metacam will insure that

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Sock is great. As already mentioned, keep it dry. If it's wet outside, you can slip a baggie or two over it and secure those with tape before he goes out.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.