Abrasion Care Advice Needed

Guest lizmego

Guest lizmego

Somehow Paprika got an abrasion on her rear leg just below the knee. No stitches or vet care needed, as its a small abrasion (kinda resembles a carpet burn) in an awkward place to wrap and I'm afraid she would just gnaw on the bandages to get them off. It was healing nicely until this morning when she started licking at it - now it bleeds slightly from her licking. Since I can't wrap it I was planning on tearing up an old long-sleeved t-shirt to keep it covered, but I was wondering if anyone would recommend using Liquid Band-Aid on the cut in case she gets through the t-shirt sleeve? A muzzle really won't do the trick since she would bang the wound with her muzzle on.

Someone also told me that they heard Krazy Glue also works like Liquid Band-Aid but I wanted to check here first.

Update: tried putting a sleeve from a long-sleeved tshirt on her leg and I get it to stay on her leg without uncovering the wound...not sure what to do now...

Thanks!

Edited by lizmego

Guest Tenderhearts

Liquid bandaid burns-trust me because I used it on myself once, and do not use Krazy glue!

I'd opt for the t-shirt.

Randy had a large abrasion on his hind leg he would not leave alone, despite cleaning, spraying with granulex, and bandaging (you have to watch him like a hawk or he tears the bandaging off). I finally just started washing it good once a day, would scold him when he licked it, and it finally healed up. No, I didn't keep him from completely licking it either. :blink:

Guest lizmego

Thanks for insight. When I ran errands this morning I stopped by our vet and spoke to a vet tech. She recommended using a "stirrup" technique when wrapping. So I did that and it appears to be working and not allowing the bandage to slip down the leg.