Jack Is In Hospital

He collapsed when he went out to pee tonight at midnight. He was going blue and couldn't get his legs under him. I don't know how we got him in the house, and he pooped where he flopped down in the conservatory. I thought he was going to die on the spot.

I couldn't get our vet to come out. The duty vet lives about thirteen miles away and the council has run out of gritting salt and it's 4C below freezing. He gave DH the number of a nearer vet and they refused to come out - apparently all they kept going on about was that we weren't their clients. I was practically hysterical between Jack fading away in my arms and DH yelling at the vet down the phone. Eventually I found a vet who agreed to see him - very kind man. Somehow we got him into the car and I rode in the back with him in the dark and ice to an address we didn't know. We found it, but not before DH had slipped and fallen on the ice looking for the house numbers.

By the time we got Jack in, his tongue was blue, his eyes were staring and his chest was heaving. The vet immediately set up oxygen for him and gave him millophylline and frusemide. I sat on the floor with him for two hours while they tried to stabilise him and put him on a drip. When we left, they were about to put him in an oxygen tent kennel, then give him Valium and x-ray him and the vet was saying he thought he might have a collapsed lung as well as his other problems.

I guess I'm just terrified that I'll never see him again. I don't want him to die in a strange vets, but we have to give him every chance. They think they can get him through this, but are obviously very guarded about his future.

I am just ... I don't know. Drained, scared, emotionally worn out and I haven't been to bed yet and it's nearly 6am. They said they'd ring as soon as they knew anything to tell us.

And I don't know how I'll cope with losing a second dog in barely more than a month. :cry1

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Judy, I am so sorry. I wish there was something I could say or do but I'm so far away I don't know what it would be other than be here for you. Jack is in my thoughts and prayers as well as you and DH. We're pulling for him from across the pond.

Please keep us informed. Powerful prayers are being sent out.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Oh no Judy!! :grouphug :grouphug Sending prayers and healing light.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

OMG Judy :sad1 How Scary!!!

My thoughts and prayers are with You, Andy and Jack :hope

Hang in there, try to lay down and get some rest (easier said than done) but he's going to need you well rested to take care of him when he comes home!!! :nod

:grouphug

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

Oh no, Judy. Sending many prayers and healing thoughts to Jack. And hugs to you.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Oh no, Judy. :( How terrifying for you and your DH. :grouphug Hoping the kind vet can get Jack through this crisis and back to a stable place. Sending prayers and light his way for his highest good. :hope:heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

:grouphug Sending more good thoughts Jack's way. :hope:hope:hope

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I'm really sorry to read that Judy :grouphug It sounds like shocking (non) treatment from your own vet and the second vet you called :angry: I'm sending all positive thoughts for Jack and I'll be checking back for good news :grouphug

Edited by Bevd

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

What an absolute nightmare :( . Sending positive thoughts and I'll be checking back for updates :candle .

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Judy, I am so sorry to read this. Many, many, many prayers are going to Jack. Hugs to you and your hubby as you wait for the news from the vet. :grouphug

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

What a terrible experience for you and Jack! So glad you finally found a vet who would help out though even if you are not his clients. I live only a few miles away from you so I know how bad the conditions were with the hard frost last night making the roads like glass. Hope all goes well and Jack makes a speedy recovery so you can get him back home before the weather deteriorates again.

Sue from England

Thank you, everyone. I'm up only because Luca (the vet I like best from our own practice, and the one who couldn't get here last night) rang to see how he was. I think I got about two and a half hours sleep.

The emergency vet rang us back last night to say they had him stabilised and breathing fairly normally as long as he was in the oxygen. He was on Valium and also an antibiotic in the drip, because they're still not sure what his problem is, but it might be (at least partly) pneumonia. If so, there's probably an underlying cause. They mentioned cancer as a possibility, and also fluid, but didn't think he did have a collapsed lung. Luca also wondered about a pulmonary embolism.

We can go and see him later, if all is well, but they are keeping him over the weekend and hoping to have us transfer him to a hospital on Monday where they have better facilities for both GA if it's necessary, and imaging, because we need to find out what exactly his problem is. I have to ring them shortly to discuss that.

The house is so quiet. It's been much quieter since losing Renie at Christmas, but now Jack is gone too, it's horrible. All I have is dog beds and his favourite yellow toys in the lounge, and the mess from last night to clear up in the conservatory. Poor old guy - he must have been so frightened to open his bowels like that. He never makes a mess in the house.

I'll update when I can. Thank you so much for the continuing thoughts and prayers.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Sending Good positive thoughts for Jack and you.....I want to rant about how angry Vets make me....but I won't because it won't help you or Jack and I need to keep positive myself.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT