Good Thoughts And Advice Needed For Jax

Guest vtgreys

Guest vtgreys

My sweet boy Jaxie, who will be 13 on April 1, started having some real problems with his rear end this morning. I've already called the vet to get him in for an appointment ASAP. Waiting to hear back from them.

He's been getting liquid Glucosamine for the past 2 years, and other than the occasional shaking of the rear legs, which I attributed to age, hasn't had much of an issue.

He went outside just fine this morning, but a few hours ago, he's been having trouble standing up, with his rear legs not straightening out all the way and not really being able to walk. He's just hanging out on the soft rug next to me right now, but I'm getting really worried. I'm going to keep a towel nearby so I can help him when he needs to go out, but other than that, I'm at a loss as to what I can do for him. He doesn't seem to be in pain, but he is panting a lot too, but refused the water I tried to get him to drink.

It sounds a lot like Buddy's recent problems. :( Buddy is currently on tramadol, rimadyl, and neurontin....I also have an appointment for later in the month to look into acupuncture, as I've been told that usually helps a lot.

Best of luck; it's so hard to see them in pain like that!! I know!!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest vtgreys

So from the time I called the vet's regular number and left a message, and waiting a while (they aren't open Fridays, but Saturdays instead) Jaxie continued to have the same issues, he'd get up, couldn't really walk, stretch and laid back down. Meanwhile I'm going into full-on worst case scenario mode etc.

Called vet's pager this time since I still hadn't heard. He calls back 5 minutes later. I describe the symptoms etc. over the phone. He asks me to get Jaxie to stand up and then take one of his rear feet and put it down on the front of his foot rather than on the pads and then repeat with the other foot. So I get him to stand up. Before I even get a chance to lift one of his feet, he walks 3 steps and JUMPS UP ON THE COUCH! I was then able to do the foot test while he was standing on the couch, and he put it right back the way it should be.

So this told the vet that it doesn't seem to be neurological, and that he knows where his feet are. So most likely it's skeletal, and he has some pain. So now we're taking 2 aspirin each and will call him in the morning :)

It seems as though several older greys are having similar issues. Alan did, so did Buddy and a few more. I'm wondering if it is the cold/icy weather and conditions. I hope all is well with Jaxie.

Guest vtgreys

Ok, now things are getting weird. Jaxie now seems to have no problems with his legs. Maybe I was just thinking he had a problem with that earlier today, as he was in the living room and not going anywhere other than the rug in there, and he seemed to not be standing up straight. After the call with the vet and having him jump up on the couch instead of having further problems, he seemed pretty good the rest of the day. We both got our aspirin too.

So now, just a few minutes ago, he stood at the doorway (no actual door, just a doorway) between the living room and the kitchen (kitchen is where food and water are). He took a step forward, then a step back. Did this several times. I have wood floors everywhere but the kitchen and bathroom, which are linoleum. On a whim, I went into a kitchen when he did this and turned the lights on. As soon as I did, he had no problem and went right for his dishes. So now I'm thinking maybe it's his vision?

How's Jaxie this morning? Any more changes one way or the other? Hope he's back to his old self.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest vtgreys
How's Jaxie this morning? Any more changes one way or the other? Hope he's back to his old self.

Thanks for checking. He does seem to be back to pretty much normal at this point. I'll keep monitoring him closely, and we have a vet appointment Tuesday am.