Sporty - Polycythemia?

Guest greyscot

Guest greyscot

Two weeks ago Sporty had a senior blood test run (he's 8 and this was his first since he came home ). Anyway, it picked up a slightly higher than normal creatinine level so we retested today. It was higher so the vet ran more tests - his red blood cell count is really high "even for a greyhound" to quote the vet. He (the vet) is not overly worried at this stage unlike me :eek and we go back in a month to see how things are. Sporty is absolutely normal and if I had not done the senior blood test I would be none the wiser about this. Niall (the vet) says that polycythemia can cause higher creatinine levels - we did a urine test and that was perfectly normal so Sporty's kidneys are working well. Just wondered if any one was familiar with this and what I can expect if this is what it turns out to be.

Thanks,

Janette & Sporty

High creatinine + high RBC/PCV/HCT could = a little dehydrated, which can happen as they tend to get excited about outings, nervous at vet's, etc.

My Zema has been accused of polycythemia before, too. She'll run a PCV/HCT up close to 70 at times. Just a greyhound, nothing to worry about.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greyscot
I wonder did your vet do a BUN (blood, urea, nitrogen) as well?

I know he did urea and that was normal. He did the blood test which picked up the suspected polycythemia. He did not mention nitrogen but this guy is really thorough so I suspect he tested that also.

I think he is just being ultra careful - he knows I'm completely neurotic when it involves my pets :offwall :offwall

Guest boondog

The following is from Dr. Stack's website http://greythealth.com/blood.htm

NORMAL VALUES FOR:

Greyhounds Other Dogs

RBC: 7.4 - 9.0 5.5 - 8.5

Hgb: 19.0 - 21.5 12.0 - 18.0

PCV: 55 - 65 37 - 55

Greyhounds have significantly more red blood cells than other breeds. This elevates parameters for RBC, hemoglobin, and PCV / HCT, and is the reason greyhounds are so desirable as blood donors. Most veterinarians are aware of this difference. Never accept a diagnosis of polycythemia - a once-in-a-lifetime-rare diagnosis of pathologic red cell overproduction - in a greyhound.

Another example -- Popo's HCT/PCV was 65.50 and 66.80 at 2 different offices. My vet was alarmed by this, but I told him it's normal (how's that for backward? :lol: ) He's not a greyhound saavy vet (there is one around here I can go to for a second opinion -- I'm not switching now). The rest of Popo's bloodwork and urinalysis was totally normal.

Edited by suzye