Pred Side Effects

RobinM

I know that greyhounds have a sensitivity to sterioids.

Someone on another board asked me exactly how they are senstive. Other than the obvious usual and customary side effects, does someone have a link or explaination of why it's different for our hounds?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I didn't know it was any different for greys either. My friend's Bassett was on them for some issues, and he had to pee constantly. Her rugs were a mess!!

For drugs in general, not just Pred, I think it is their low body fat than affects how they process drugs. The drugs don't clear their systems like other dogs because, I guess, body fat plays a role in that.

My experience has been that they can't be on them for extended periods. Yes, they drink more, then of course they have to pee more. My male acted like he was starving and even counter surfed - which he never did and does not do since he has been off the preds. Cushings is one thing you have to look out for.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

I don't think there is much difference either. Pred is such a miracle drug for so many things, but in a lot of dogs it can't be tolerated for very long in high doses.

Here is a link to a pretty good article:

The Use of Prednisone In Dogs

I've had greys on low dosages (10-20 mg/day) of pred for short periods of time (couple weeks) do just fine without side effects other than the initial excessive thirst and need to urinate more often. Those things usually go away after a few days.

My greyhound, Cat, was put on high doses of pred to help control rear end weakness. I think she started at about 50 mg. a day and that had to be increased after a few weeks. At 50 mg she did just fine in regard to side effects. I can't remember what we finally had to increase her dosage to, but I think it was something like 90 mg. a day. Within a very short time she developed Cushings.

Recently, Cutie was put on 50 mg a day of pred for Lupus. She had just been on that dosage for 2 weeks and she had a LOT of muscle wasting. We eased her off the Pred. and with a little extra protein in her diet I was able to get her muscles back in pretty good shape.

So, I think dogs react differently to Pred in terms of how long it can be tolerated.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

I don't believe there is any difference except possibly a slight increased sensitivity. When my vet put George on 'roids for his allergy, she gave him a smaller dose than she'd normally give a 65 pound dog, but did not warn me about anything in particular to watch for.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest spider9174

it is my understanding that any dog (can happen in people too) when on a steroid like prednisone can develop Cushing's disease like symptoms.

Guest ctgreylover

Tony was on predisone once. I had to get a belly band. He just coulnt make it outside a few times. When he did pee outside, he peed FOR EVER!!! 2 minutes and then some once I started timing it one day. Other than that, he didnt have any bad side effects.

I don't know about any side effects except it can cause liver damage when used long term. This month Lee has to go in for his 6 month bloodwork. He has to have this done every six months as long as he is on Pred. I'm not sure what the alternative will be if his bloodwork doesn't come back good. This will only be the first time for this bloodwork so wish us luck.

I don't know about any side effects except it can cause liver damage when used long term. This month Lee has to go in for his 6 month bloodwork. He has to have this done every six months as long as he is on Pred. I'm not sure what the alternative will be if his bloodwork doesn't come back good. This will only be the first time for this bloodwork so wish us luck.

he will be fine but i am making sure Lee is on my prayer list! ;)

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project