Sudden Tick Issue.

Guest BillF

I've had two greys in the past year, and haven't had a tick problem until now. In the last 3 weeks I've found 3 ticks on my girl, and one on the blanket she lies on on the floor.

These are small ticks, not much larger than the head of a pin.

I found one on her yesterday morning. Last night I went over her with a flea comb, and feeling her all over. Didn't find anything. This morning she hopped into the bed next to me. I was rubbing her neck and felt a bump. It was another tick.

I'm washing her blanket and dog beg cover. I looked over the blanket, bed, and floor but didn't see any more. I plan to call the vet today for recommendations.

It's been cold enough here in Alabama that we haven't been out much. She goes in the backyard to potty, but doesn't spend much time out there. Our neighbors on each side have dogs. We walk every day, but mostly down the side of the street.

I'm not doing anything for tick prevention since it hasn't been an issue. Looks like that's changed.

Any tips or ideas? I'm wondering if I need to do something in the house, but don't want to do anything that would harm me or the dog.

Thanks

Bill (and Olive!)

Ticks can live up north here in New England even in the snow! (Someone posted on GT somewhere recently (not New England) that they had ticks on their greys, and there was snow outside.) If it were me, I'd start frontlining them. I believe the smallest ticks are the deer ticks, and they're the ones that carry the lyme disease??

Ticks can live up north here in New England even in the snow! (Someone posted on GT somewhere recently (not New England) that they had ticks on their greys, and there was snow outside.) If it were me, I'd start frontlining them. I believe the smallest ticks are the deer ticks, and they're the ones that carry the lyme disease??

I found a tick on my fosters bedding. He was from Birmingham and I'd had him about a week and he was frontlined.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Unfortunately frontline only kills them when they attach. Back when I first adopted my rough collie, I asked the vet about spraying him with bug repellent to ward off ticks, black flies, etc. He advised me not to spray him with anything, as collies are as sensitive as greys, with respect to chemicals. So.............I opted to have a lawn co. come in and spray my 2 acres every six weeks. (People didn't agree with me on this, but my collie was lyme positive and I had to protect him any way I could, as he'd be covered with ticks every time we went outside.) Navigator hasn't had any ticks on him in the 4 years I've had him. I do frontline him starting in about March, and continue monthly until the lawn co. starts my treatments around the end of May. It's helped so much.

Unfortunately frontline only kills them when they attach. .

Not true. They have to contact the dog, but they don't have to bite.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No prevention tips, but I have found the perfect Tick Remover - simple, works every time, and you never have to touch the tick

http://tinyurl.com/agqaoe

We often get them from hiking in the mountains, and this has proved invaluable.

GT-Sig-2-09.jpg

Visit My Website Visit My Etsy Store Visit My eBay Store Part of all proceeds benefit Greyhound adoption

Thanks for the tips. I did find one of the Ticked-Off tick removers at the local pet store. I didn't find anymore ticks on her when I got home today.

The vet recommended the Preventic collar. I just put it on her. $12 for 3 months coverage - not bad at all.

Thanks again

Bill

Guest speedoketo

The key to parasite control is integrated pest management - its best to use more than one method of pest control. Vets are seeing dogs and cats develop resistance to certain drug products because using only one drug is just going to breed resistant ticks. Ticks also live for years and can go ages without food so seeing them in winter isn't odd. Like everyone is saying, things like frontline, preventick, advantix, they all work great and you could try rotating which one you use every couple of years. Combining that with environmental pest control like somebody else was talking about is even better.