Time To Try A New Food Again

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

Well, it's been a month since his relapse and he's been exclusively eating Hill's I/D. Now it is time to slllooooowly try to transition him to regular kibble again. I just wanted to post my thoughts/plan to see if anyone has any feedback or suggestions.

History: When he had his first bout with the GI bleeding Soul had been eating Natural Balance fish and sweet potato LID (grain free for his lupus). He was also getting his supplements of 400ie vit E and 250mg niacinamide in some pumpkin and a squirt of grizzley salmon oil.

After his hospitalization he ate only I/D for a month and no supplements. Thinking the trigger might be the fish, after a month I started sllloooowly switching him to Natural Balance Venision and sweet potato. Got to the point where he was eating half I/D and half of the regular kibble and I noticed he was getting gassy so I stopped the transistion and slowly started going back the other way. A few weeks later he relapsed :( Still no supplements, his diet was only the Natural Balance and I/D. Treats were Natural Balance venison and sweet potato formula as well.

So, now I'm wondering if the potato is the trigger. At first I thought it might be fat content, but that has now been ruled out. His lupus is awful right now, and I really want to get him back to a grain free diet so I'm think of trying Natural Balance lamb and rice LID: 1/4C for two days, then 1/2C for two days, then 3/4 for two days, etc.

Does this sound like a good plan? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Is he getting his supplements yet? If not, it might make sense to keep him on the ID and slowly add back his supplements. And once all is settled there, THEN work on switching foods.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SoulsMom

No, not yet. And I considered that too~starting back on the supplements first. The only reasaon I was leaning towards the food is because the I/D is so fricken frackin expensive.

Are you feeding ID canned or ID dry?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have no experience with HGE but have followed Soul's journey. I would be afraid to switch him off the ID.

I'm using the KD for Misty but to be honest, it's not that much more than what I feed Wayne and Ekko.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it's a success

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Destiny

Natural Balance could be the trigger. I have a Lab and he was fed Natural Balance Potato and Duck for years. I stuck with them even through the food recalls. Then, he started to have diarrhea, mucus in the stools, blood, etc. He was treated with metronidazole (which he had a reaction to), Panacur, even though he tested negative for Giardia. I told the vet I wanted to keep him grain free. There was a prescription food that was grain free, but it was basically the same as the NB DP. Sometimes he would firm up with pumpkin, do good for a week, but then back to crummy poops. Finally I switched to another food brand entirely. No transitioning, a cold swtich. He firmed up within 2 days. Then, a year later I thought I would try NB again. This time I tried the Venison and Sweet Potato. First I bought the small 5-pound bag, transitioned him. He did well. Went and bought a big bag and within the first few days of being completely on it, he developed diarrhea and mucus again. Returned the food, put him back on the previous food (CORE). Doing great. For some reason, NB does not agrees with him.

Edited by Destiny

P.S. Reason I asked about canned vs. dry is the fiber content.

Editing here because I misread -- the ID dry has a LOT more total fiber (crude + other) so I'm wondering if he is a fiber-responsive dog .....

Some IBS/IBD is fiber-responsive, meaning more fiber is better, and some is not, meaning less fiber is better. Isn't that helpful? :lol

On the plus side, the NB LID Lamb only shares one ingredient with the sweet potato ones -- canola oil.

Best luck whatever you decide to do!

Edited by Batmom

Guest SoulsMom

Hmmmm. Archie (non-grey) is still on the NB venison and sweet potato and he's doing fine :dunno

I have no experience with HGE but have followed Soul's journey. I would be afraid to switch him off the ID.

I'm using the KD for Misty but to be honest, it's not that much more than what I feed Wayne and Ekko.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it's a success

I am afraid, but being grain free really helps with is lupus. It's such a catch 22 . . .

Are you feeding ID canned or ID dry?

Both. He gets dry and canned mix in the morning, and all dry in the evening. Then a "snack" of some canned food before bed. I was actully thinking of keeping him on the canned and just switching the dry . . .

Some IBS/IBD is fiber-responsive, meaning more fiber is better, and some is not, meaning less fiber is better. Isn't that helpful?

:wacko::lol

The e-vet suggested that he might need more fiber, but of course no one really knows at this point

Edited by SoulsMom

Edited my post above because I lied. Wonder if he is a dog who needs more fiber because the dry's total fiber is 8.7% -- twice what is in NB LID Lamb.

Guest Destiny
Hmmmm. Archie (non-grey) is still on the NB venison and sweet potato and he's doing fine

A lot of dogs do well on NB. Mine did greyt on for 3 years, but for some reason, something about NB no longer agrees with him. I'm not putting down NB, but it just doesn't work for my dog anymore.

The e-vet suggested that he might need more fiber, but of course no one really knows at this point

My vet thought my dog needed more fiber, wanted to put him on ID, too, but I refused to put him on that stuff. Right about that time is when Wellness came out with their CORE line. Their reduced fat version has 8.5% fiber. That is the food I switched to at first. When he did well on that, I eventually switched to the regular.

Guest sirsmom
Natural Balance could be the trigger. I have a Lab and he was fed Natural Balance Potato and Duck for years. I stuck with them even through the food recalls. Then, he started to have diarrhea, mucus in the stools, blood, etc. He was treated with metronidazole (which he had a reaction to), Panacur, even though he tested negative for Giardia. I told the vet I wanted to keep him grain free. There was a prescription food that was grain free, but it was basically the same as the NB DP. Sometimes he would firm up with pumpkin, do good for a week, but then back to crummy poops. Finally I switched to another food brand entirely. No transitioning, a cold swtich. He firmed up within 2 days. Then, a year later I thought I would try NB again. This time I tried the Venison and Sweet Potato. First I bought the small 5-pound bag, transitioned him. He did well. Went and bought a big bag and within the first few days of being completely on it, he developed diarrhea and mucus again. Returned the food, put him back on the previous food (CORE). Doing great. For some reason, NB does not agrees with him.

Sir seizured on NB duck 2 years ago andwe took him off immediately (it was the only new thing in his diet) He hasn't had one since.

Guest jlmcgowan

Our greyhound was on a different food (Orijen 7-fish) but we had added the grizzly salmon oil to her diet and then she had a bad GI bleed and spent 5 days in emergency care. They never knew what caused it, but the salmon oil was the only new thing. After she finished with the bland diet we transitioned her to NB LID Lamb & Rice and it has gone well so far, but every dog is different.

Have you thought about Wellness? Our dogs can't handle grains, and one can't handle potatoes. So for kibble we're using Wellness Core Low-Fat, and it has no grains. There are two other Wellness Core formulas, I think, that have no grains.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest SoulsMom

Well, change of plans! Someone just donated a 20lb bag of the I/D dry and fifteen cans of the I/D wet. Sooooo, I guess I'm going to try giving him his supplements again and see if they might help to bring his lupus under control, while keeping him on the I/D diet for a little longer.

I'm going to start with the niacinamide. Any suggestions on how long I should wait before adding the vit E? I was thinking two weeks . . . .

Edited my post above because I lied. Wonder if he is a dog who needs more fiber because the dry's total fiber is 8.7% -- twice what is in NB LID Lamb.

Hmmm. I suppose when it's time to try the switch I could add metamucil to the kibble . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

Wow, that donation was a nice gesture :thumbs-up That's good news and gives you time to try out the supplements! :yay

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest SoulsMom

I know! I'm so grateful :bow2 Considering that the last time I was at the vet I bought a case of the wet, 20lb bag of the dry, and Archie's heartworm. The total was $125 :blink:

Edited by SoulsMom