Sadie - Pupdate Ii

Guest girlygirls

Guest girlygirls

Hello folks,

My eternal thanks to kjw and all our friends for posting pupdates.

And to each of you for your posts, pawsitive healing thoughts and white light.

Sadie would not be doing as well as she now is without the support of so many greyt folks.

We are very grateful.

We have just passed the 3-week post-amp mark and, in many respects, are doing well.

Sadie aka Peekabo Sadie - the 3-legged lady! is eating well, easily navigating UP and DOWN! short flights of stairs, going for short walks IN THE SNOW! and adjusting to her new, sleek self.

Only one problem... OK two, but they are related.

In the past 10 days or so, Sadie has had:

1) increased thirst - 1500ml. or more in a 12-hour period. (She's raw fed and wouldn't normally drink this much in a week, let alone half a day.

2) with increased thirst comes incontinence - bed-wetting sometimes 2-3 x daily

At first we thought it was a post-amp pain-related response, then a UTI - for which she was treated with another round of Amoxil.

Now, our vet thinks it may be Cushing's.

Has anyone had any experience with post-amp incontinence and, if so, how did you treat it?

We have patiently dealt with adverse responses to meds - as you may have read in an earlier pupdate, and now trying to find a balance without them.

Any ideas, help or advice is, again, greytfully appreciated.

Sadie's worried Mom and Dad and her sister Storm-the one-eyed wonder dog.

Sending most gentle hugs and prayers for Sadie. :grouphug I have no experience with what you are dealing with. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

No experience with amputation, but could it be any of the meds she's on?

Is your vet thinking Cushings just based on the increase of water?

Keeping your little girl in our prayers, please keep us posted

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'll butt in to answer for Deb and Sadie that yes, the thirst and incontinence are the only symptoms she has, all her blood tests so far have been normal, except her urinalysis was postive for a moderate amount of blood, she had a trace of protein in her urine, and her specific gravity was a little high but still normal. Her blood values have all been normal, and this problem started during her second week post amp. Deb has asked for a consult from OSU as well; we are hoping for a little more creative opinion, no one here thinks Cushings really fits that well.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

I'll butt in to answer for Deb and Sadie that yes, the thirst and incontinence are the only symptoms she has, all her blood tests so far have been normal, except her urinalysis was postive for a moderate amount of blood, she had a trace of protein in her urine, and her specific gravity was a little high but still normal. Her blood values have all been normal, and this problem started during her second week post amp. Deb has asked for a consult from OSU as well; we are hoping for a little more creative opinion, no one here thinks Cushings really fits that well.

Thank you, and please do keep us posted on this little girl.

Doesn't sound like Cushings and hopefully it's a UTI or kidney issue that can be controlled easily.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Is she taking any meds at all? Undergoing any type of chemotherapy?

Is she eating what she used to eat, or something different? What about treats?

It might be worth keeping a log of when she drinks how much. To do this fairly easily, I put a measured amount of water in each bowl. Periodically empty it back into the measuring cup, record the time and amount missing, and fill the bowl back up again. With 2+ dogs, I estimate who drank what (or grab the bowl and dump into my measuring cup after I see the "wrong" dog taking a drink).

Might also be worth trying 10mg famotidine (regular-strength pepcid, an antacid-type medication) twice a day. Sometimes a dog will overdrink if the tummy doesn't feel quite right.

Hugs and best luck to your pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Jey, Sadie's off all the pain meds now,she had a poor reaction to the opiates (fetanyl and tramadol) and became very restless on them, so they switched her to Gaba something-or-other lol, she's been off that for at least a week. She's has had no deramax for a few days. She's on amoxil but will be off that starting tomorrow too.

No changes in her diet or treats, she's raw fed and they've continued with that.

Dee has been measuring her drinking water for several days now, and I think she noted timing, but I'd have to check that.

I will pass on the pepcid tip in case Deb isn't back on tonight.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Sweet Sadie, we're holding you close to our hearts and hope that you're feeling better soon!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I don't have any advice to offer but I'm keeping Sadie in my thoughts and prayers. She sounds like such a sweetheart.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest girlygirls
Is she taking any meds at all? Undergoing any type of chemotherapy?

Is she eating what she used to eat, or something different? What about treats?

It might be worth keeping a log of when she drinks how much. To do this fairly easily, I put a measured amount of water in each bowl. Periodically empty it back into the measuring cup, record the time and amount missing, and fill the bowl back up again. With 2+ dogs, I estimate who drank what (or grab the bowl and dump into my measuring cup after I see the "wrong" dog taking a drink).

Might also be worth trying 10mg famotidine (regular-strength pepcid, an antacid-type medication) twice a day. Sometimes a dog will overdrink if the tummy doesn't feel quite right.

Hugs and best luck to your pup.

Thanks for your note...as kjw has kindly posted, I took your advice to heart and put her back on the once daily Pepcid for her tummy. Heard back from Dr. Couto - faxing him labs and urinalysis for his review - though at first blush he's suggesting Psychogenic Polydipsia. Yup, it may be just a psychological response to the stress and trauma of the surgery. She's not doing chemo - thank God and in all other aspects she's doing very well at, just past the 3-week post-amp mark.

Will keep you posted and thank you for your advice...

Neither of my amputation boys had increased thirst. Alex did come home with a UTI though.

Thanks for responding about the UTI...how did you treat it?

Am I to understand you had/have two tripawds in your house?

Would love to chat more about your challenges and triumphs...

Guest RSD_Ranger

Hi, I don't know if our experience is relevant since did amp and chemo.

Ranger has displayed increased thirst throughout this whole process. We have no idea why and always attributed it to a reaction to medicine or stress. We have some belly bands for his marking, but he was marking beforehand, so I don't know if that is relevant either.

For the incontinence, you may want to try those large absorbent pads (we got some at Wal-Mart) to put on top of her bed. It won't stop the accidents, but it will make cleanup easier for you.

We were also told during our journey to try and behave as normally as possible. I did notice that he was whinier when I was worried. Maybe she is picking up on all the worry going on with her new situation?

:grouphug and hopes that this is just a passing phase