Dental Care

Guest zaki

Aside from brushing my dog's teeth are there any other tricks to help with his oral hygiene? He just had his teeth cleaned, but his gums look a little red and his breath is horrible. I know this can be bad for his overall health. He is only 2.

Thanks

Guest greyttech

Brushing daily is the best for keeping the teeth clean and free of tartar. For the gingivitis, you could ask your vet for a chlorhexidine rinse.

There are all sorts of recommendations in other threads; CET chews, additives for drinking water, raw turkey necks and chicken backs, etc. If you do a "Search" on the site, you will find all sorts of advice. But to start at the beginning, were antibiotics prescribed after his dental? Did you tell your Vet about his breath? The Vet Techs at my Vets office give me a report after each dental - condition of teeth, gums, tartar, etc. Then we discuss any problematic issues and decide on the best treatment. Two of mine have ok breath and the third has a mouth that smells like a sewer. Every dog is different, although raw feeders report that teeth, gums and breath are vastly improved.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest FullMetalFrank

For us, feeding a partially raw diet has made all the difference (we also brush several times weekly, and I have used the Wysong Dentatreat product and am currently trying the Petzlife oral care spray). The bad breath is gone; Frank, who needed a dental until I tried the raw approach, has been given a clean bill of dental health by my vet; and when we got Chels the vet says "she could use a cleaning but give your routine a try first." So it has worked for us. The supplements and the brushing, I think, just helps it happen a little faster; they're not a miracle treatment on their own.

Without help Duncan has awful teeth. His teeth will never be great, but we have found a couple of things that help -- things that have kept him from getting dentals longer than either the vet or I expected.

1. He is fed raw. It makes a huge difference. For us, turkey necks alone were not cutting it. A fully raw diet has been amazing for him.

2. This is controversial and I would not recommend it for every dog. We use the porphyromonas vaccine. Yes, it is new and long term side effects are unknown. Those red, inflamed gums are a thing of the past. For Duncan (and me) it is the right answer. It may or may not be right for you, but it might be worth checking into.

Before this, Duncan had a much needed dental only 5 months after the one he got just before adoption. Now, he is 2+ years out from that dental and still doesn't need one. My vet and I are very pleased.

BTW, Duncan's breath used to take ours away. Now, his breath has virtually no odor.

Hope you find an answer that both you and your pup are happy with.

Guest sc1911cwp

If the hound has marginal gingivitis it would be natural for gums to bleed alittle while brushing. That being said it should resolve within a short period of time. This happens in humans all the time. Just keep brushing, not too hard, and things should settle out.